it was Morton that voted no

Morton won’t need to Worry themselves about their fans experience of VAR.
It’s for the top league, somewhere they aren’t going to be anytime soon.
It was a nonsense giving teams outside the top league a vote anyway.
It only encourages Diddies like Morton to think they are important

From what I can gather lower league clubs got a vote on this because they will help to foot the bill , according to the Sun in the region of 67K. Not sure how much of this is true but if it is that's what will be bothering Morton . The New MCT fans group who are running the club are making a complete hash of it IMO . They are like a bunch of young kids with a new toy . That sort of outlay for them on something they most likely will never use could finish them or at least drive their market value down to next to nothing and that's when I fully expect two local business men to step in and pick up the pieces .
As for the fan experience comment :eek::eek:

My mistake , money only paid out if promoted

Last edited:
I'm not a fan either but we can't keep getting left behind so voting it in was the only option available.

If you're not a fan of it then why worry about being left behind by a system that you don't like?

The idea of VAR is miles away from the reality of it, at least as far as English football is concerned. People being ruled offside by less than the length of a big toe. Thats bad for football. If it's restricted to obvious errors? Fine. If it results in every marginal decision being looked at then that's not good for the game. Football cannot be allowed to become like a console game where every marginal decision is called.

I also don't think that it'll solve the madness within Scottish football. VAR decision that fans don't like? The VAR ref is instantly a mason/mhank/sheep shagger...

If you're not a fan of it then why worry about being left behind by a system that you don't like?

The idea of VAR is miles away from the reality of it, at least as far as English football is concerned. People being ruled offside by less than the length of a big toe. Thats bad for football. If it's restricted to obvious errors? Fine. If it results in every marginal decision being looked at then that's not good for the game. Football cannot be allowed to become like a console game where every marginal decision is called.

I also don't think that it'll solve the madness within Scottish football. VAR decision that fans don't like? The VAR ref is instantly a mason/mhank/sheep shagger...
Because Scottish football is already a backwater. And rightly or wrongly football across the world at the level we want to compete at uses VAR.

At least it was a semi-decent response to why not. I actually get what they mean. However, it is too important as our refs simply aren't good enough and Celtic are cheating scumbags that get their way too often.

They make good rolls though.

Only issue I have where I kind of see their point is that during a var review that which is under review is not flashed up on the screen. We all sit about not having a bloody clue about what is going on. I get that not every club has screens but no idea why that should matter, if screens exist get it on display then we can see the incident and although we might not agree with it at least we can see what is going on. Can’t stand the black screens and the uncertainty over why is under review.

Var certainly didn't ruin my experience of Dortmund or Braga @ home, my only gripe w/ disallowed goal is not giving the reason for it being disallowed.

I said exactly the same thing to my stepdaughter at the game. There is no reason that they announce the logic behind the decision to deny the goal.

"getting decisions correct isn't great for fans"

Honestly hate these dinosaur types. Even worse when they are actually involved in the game. Terrifying.

Fan experience. Haha!

My experience as a fan would be greatly improved with a second ref reviewing crucial, incorrect decisions.

Morton, eh?

The same fans who have a huge dislike and talk / sing about St Mirren.

St Mirren on the other hand don't care an iota about them.

Morton, the jealous ex. Fuuk them.

Always make a point of mentioning the "Renfrewshire Derby" whenever speaking to a Morton supporter, they do enjoy that one

I realise it’s vital to get the big calls right and VAR is the obvious step in rectifying that.

I understand Morton’s stance though, the absolute bedlam of scoring a goal, then the agonising wait and the crushing disappointment of a goal being ruled out because the attackers left bollock strayed offside.

Imagine an old firm with VAR, we score a last minute winner, VAR confirm there is a check, Kevin Clancy goes to the screen for a potential foul, Morelos is adjudged to have fouled Starfelt in the buildup, goal ruled out.

Richard Wilson, James Watt, the Easdale brothers, Catman. Your boys took a hell of a beating!
the-catman-has-a-feline-diet-photo-u1

The anti-VAR poster boy

They make good rolls though.

Only issue I have where I kind of see their point is that during a var review that which is under review is not flashed up on the screen. We all sit about not having a bloody clue about what is going on. I get that not every club has screens but no idea why that should matter, if screens exist get it on display then we can see the incident and although we might not agree with it at least we can see what is going on. Can’t stand the black screens and the uncertainty over why is under review.
It's not shown so that pressure can't be put on official I'm sure. Same reason most clubs won't show goal or incident replays on their big screens.

It's not shown so that pressure can't be put on official I'm sure. Same reason most clubs won't show goal or incident replays on their big screens.

There are different reasons for that.

Teams aren't allowed to show real time replays of incidents as referees are not allowed to use video evidence to help with their decisions other than the strict conditions imposed by VAR. They can't get into a situation where a referee might see a replay of an incident on the Ibrox screens and change a decision based on what they saw on the big screen if it wasn't an incident that fell within the remit of VAR.

It can take away the spontaneous elation of a goal being scored as the fans then need to wait for confirmation I suppose.

Overall though, VAR should be in Scottish football.

There are different reasons for that.

Teams aren't allowed to show real time replays of incidents as referees are not allowed to use video evidence to help with their decisions other than the strict conditions imposed by VAR. They can't get into a situation where a referee might see a replay of an incident on the Ibrox screens and change a decision based on what they saw on the big screen if it wasn't an incident that fell within the remit of VAR.
Famous one was a goal in the World Cup against Mexico from Tevez (I’ve said it’s famous and probably got both team and player wrong) when it was given but was more offside than Maeda on Sunday. Stadium then showed a replay with the players going nuts but the ref couldn’t change his decision despite the obvious evidence.

Aye, that cup final experience sure was improved by no pesky correct decisions being made and watching 20000 terror fetishists celebrating a trophy they won by foul means.

Aren’t the Boulder Brothers involved there?

Probably don’t have a spare “hawf bar”.

Morton are now fan owned so they probably consulted amongst themselves
I just spoke to a life long Ton supporter , guy in his early 70s , he's disgusted in his club and the bunch of wee boys that's running it . He reckons he wont be alone . As a member of the fan group that owns the club he said there was no vote or consultation from the group regarding the introduction of VAR

'Morton confirm VAR no vote as Championship outfit insist technology 'diminishes' fan experience'

As opposed to a run down 1950's style hovel

Let's be fair here, caller. Promotion of the "fan experience" has always been a high priority with the Easdales.

Morton need not worry as they will never see it like their fans will never experience 90 minutes of football

Is it not been mentioned before that Morton don't want promotion as it would cost them to much money to come up or something along those lines , maybe some deep water bears can correct me if am wrong .
Seem to remember a few seasons ago they were well ahead leading the championship, then getting close to end of season lost game after game, and it was suggested at the time that they couldn't afford to go up as they needed to spend money on their ground and in all probability get pumped week after week in the premier league, resulting in coming straight back down. Short sighted I know, but they are a bit backward in Greenock.

Seem to remember a few seasons ago they were well ahead leading the championship, then getting close to end of season lost game after game, and it was suggested at the time that they couldn't afford to go up as they needed to spend money on their ground and in all probability get pumped week after week in the premier league, resulting in coming straight back down. Short sighted I know, but they are a bit backward in Greenock.
Harsh.

Once upon quite a few years ago I was working in the late Douglas Rae's house , this story has done the rounds in Inverclyde since I was young about not wanting promotion , I asked Mr Rae about this and he flipped , 100% he wanted Morton in the top division and I reckon he would have funded it with his personal wealth no problem . When his son or the Rae family handed the club to the fans group MCT last year and wrote of a massive amount of money his boy said his father was a great businessman but where Morton were concerned he let his heart rule his head . Now the club is being ran by a group of guys living the dream of owning a football club and they are making mistake after mistake , the biggest one so far in this vote over VAR

Back