Italy 2006 - Dark Horses

Mustang mad

Watched this documentary over the last 2 nights. Absolutely superb. Interviews with Cannavaro, Buffon, Luca Toni, Fabio grosso, Lippi , Materazzi and our very own Rino Gattuso. William gallas and John Terry also contribute.
First 2 episodes cover the build up and group games and last 16. Thenthe final 2 episodes go more in depth of each game.
A good insight into the players in camp for a few weeks, they all describe the fear of playing in the final, but the anticipation at the same time. How to avoid being made to take a penalty in a shoot out.

I watched ' how to win the world cup' on the I player, which was very good but covered 3 teams so not as in depth, this one though really is superb and worth your time.

I'll need to give this a watch. I loved that World Cup - first one I was old enough to have a bevvy!

Can't remember too many people picking the Italians to win it. Brazil were massive favourites, IIRC. England were also well fancied.

Took Italy about a month before the tournament. One of very few bets that I've actually won something significant.

Was on a lads holiday during the group stages - holiday paid back thanks to Fabio Grosso's winning penalty.

Highlights off the top of my head —

Torsten Frings and Phillip Lahm scoring screamers against Costa Rica and people complaining the ball was a fly away.

The battle of Nuremberg and Gio being sent off.

Maxi Rodriguez's strike vs. Mexico.

Jens Lehmann's 'cheat sheet' against Argentina.

Cambiasso's 100 pass goal against Serbia.

Loved that tournament. My mates and I had just turned 16, discovering bevvy for the first time. Memories of dogging 5th year to watch the games before diving into town to watch some, often rubbish in hindsight, NME indie gig, followed by a big afters.

Watched this documentary over the last 2 nights. Absolutely superb. Interviews with Cannavaro, Buffon, Luca Toni, Fabio grosso, Lippi , Materazzi and our very own Rino Gattuso. William gallas and John Terry also contribute.
First 2 episodes cover the build up and group games and last 16. Thenthe final 2 episodes go more in depth of each game.
A good insight into the players in camp for a few weeks, they all describe the fear of playing in the final, but the anticipation at the same time. How to avoid being made to take a penalty in a shoot out.

I watched ' how to win the world cup' on the I player, which was very good but covered 3 teams so not as in depth, this one though really is superb and worth your time.
Where can I watch this?

A fantastic game of football that night.

The 2nd goal was a thing of beauty
The description of how that goal came about in the documentary is great.
Every Italian apart from gattuso and Buffon was in the German box. As Cannavaro himself says- very un Italian.
They then describe that they were comfortable with only Rino back there as he would do 'anything' to stop the Germans had they hit on the break.
Emphasis on 'anything':D

I recall Pirlo talking about pressure and not feeling it at all, he said something along the lines of not giving a toss about pressure, on the day of the final he slept, played the PlayStation had some food then in the evening he went out and won the World Cup.

Really enjoyed this World Cup.

That was a great World Cup and the European teams were the strongest I think they’d been at a World Cup.

you back from Qatar yet mate?
Yes pal. Posted a few things on here:

They haven’t won a World Cup knockout game since.

Sure I read a stat that said that no Italy fan has watched them win a World Cup knockout game on an iPhone as they weren’t invented until 2007.

I absolutely adored Pirlo but there was a time when folk were losing their shit about him playing a ten yard square pass which I always found a bit daft.
Mostly the same with all in vogue players mate. Over the piece Pirlo's class was undisputable though.

Did a sweep at work with Italy to beat France in the final. Laughed at when I handed it in. Was on holiday in France for the semi and final. The only time I was keen to go back to work.

Torsten Frings and Phillip Lahm scoring screamers against Costa Rica and people complaining the ball was a fly away.

Loved that tournament. My mates and I had just turned 16, discovering bevvy for the first time. Memories of dogging 5th year to watch the games before diving into town to watch some, often rubbish in hindsight, NME indie gig, followed by a big afters.

I was doing the same! Bevvy for the early game, then usually going in to see some sh*te like The Twang at the old ABC :D

Slightly off topic but I must admit missing The Azzurri at this World Cup and WC 2018. Not that I am a big supporter of them but as 4 times winners and current holders of the Euros they would have had a lot to add to the tournament.

Surely they cannot go a 3rd World Cup without qualifying in 2026. UEFA only get an extra 3 teams (16) in the new 48 team WC. So they should make it. Disgrace though that UEFA will get only 3 extra teams with 16 extra places going. However, I hope this may eliminate the 2nd placed group teams' play offs and also give more of a chance (slim that it is) to N.Ireland and Scotland too.

They haven’t won a World Cup knockout game since.

Sure I read a stat that said that no Italy fan has watched them win a World Cup knockout game on an iPhone as they weren’t invented until 2007.
Haven't played one since 2006. Out in the groups in 2010 and 2014 and haven't qualified for the last 2.

Reactions: VGM
That Semi Final was a cracking game despite it being 0-0 until the 119th minute. Real high quality, end-to-end football.

That Italy team was a fantastic unit but I’ll always maintain that Argentina were the best team at the tournament and would have won it if they hadn’t blown it by taking off Riquelme in the Germany QF.

I remember that World Cup for the sheer number of top class goals that were scored. Genuinely about 20 screamers, Joe Cole's & Maxi Rodriguez's being the pick of the bunch.

Compare that to this World Cup where the best is probably that Mexican free kick. After that it's slim pickings.

I still struggle to believe that a man of his experience and stature did such a thing, no matter what type of crass 'smell yer maw' patter had been aimed in his direction.

He was outstanding that tournament and it was a terrible way to end his playing career.

His one-man show against Brazil in the quarter finals is possibly the finest performance ever seen.

They were reigning champions. They had Cafu, Kaka, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho and the real Ronaldo and they couldn't stop Zidane that night.

Probably the only World Cup winner I’ve correctly predicted. I remember being ridiculed for picking them, despite the fact that their team was packed with Champions league winners and leaders.

What platform is this on mate?

Italy only conceded 1 goal in that World Cup, and it was a penalty in the final which came about from a dive.

That pass by Pirlo though.What a player he was.;)

I recall reading about the great players, how time on the field moves slower and they feel they have more room than they actual have - this goal is the perfect example. So many players, yet Pirlo is unhurried and picks out the pass.

What a finish.

We must be similar ages, it's my favourite WC. It was a tournament filled with absolute screamers.
It was full of drama and intrigue. Of course the now infamous Zidane headbutt in the final. Materrazi and Zidane both scored in the final as well. Then the shoot-out. Just topped off what was an utterly mental WC final and tournament overall.

Everyone underestimated Italy due to the turmoil of Calciopoli going on back home.

He was outstanding that tournament and it was a terrible way to end his playing career.

His one-man show against Brazil in the quarter finals is possibly the finest performance ever seen.

They were reigning champions. They had Cafu, Kaka, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho and the real Ronaldo and they couldn't stop Zidane that night.

He was the orchestrator against Spain and Portugal in the knock-out rounds as well. In terms of opposition, France had to do it the hard way. They beat Spain, Portugal and Brazil to reach the final. Italy got Australia, Ukraine and Germany.

Quite incredible they came so close to winning it given that route, abetted to the fact the team was allegedly fighting among themselves (what's new?) before it began because they hated Domenech.

In retrospect, it was probably a Di Matteo situation where the players, led by Zizou, got there themselves through sheer determination.

Ribery and Thuram were also excellent.

I’ve tried to find this full match online to rewatch it. I just remember all sorts of shite happening. 16 yellows, 4 reds. It was when van Bronckhorst was at Barcelona. Deco also got sent off for Portugal and there was a shot of them two by the technical areas having a conversation before the final whistle.

I’m sure one part I remember was the Dutch pretending they were going to give the ball back (assuming Portugal had put it out for an injury) then the player suddenly started sprinting with the ball, getting chopped, then all the players getting involved.

Haven't played one since 2006. Out in the groups in 2010 and 2014 and haven't qualified for the last 2.
See, this flummoxes me.
Compare them to germany or France. Both are uausually strong but a few times have not qualified. When they dont, they overhaul everything from coach, to squad members to playing styles. An soon enough they are back stronger than before.
The Italians just do not seem to be able to shake themselves out of whatever it is in they are in.
yet from nowhere they managed to win a euros.

Back