It's not often Andy Walker is right when it comes to Rangers but he's called it

GR_7_Bear

It's not often Andy Walker is right when it comes to Rangers but he called it yesterday when he said our problem against celtic is not down to footballing ability, it is down to mentality, psychology and fear.

The players in our squad have had so many hidings of them that they're now scared to play them, effectively our players are beaten in their heads before they even get onto the park.

There wouldn't seem any way to rid ourselves of this mindset other;
1. giving them a few hidings, which is now highly unlikely.
2. wholesale changes within the playing squad, bringing in players who are not affected like the current crop.

I am not sure if he did say it was not down to footballing ability, but if he did then he was only partially right.

I accept what your saying OP, but outside of that, his co -commentary
Was a disgrace. Instead of an impartial standpoint, he creamed over Celtic
All day. Even to the point of telling us his da was at the 7-1 game, and he made it obvious, he was hoping to see even more.
Cant!

While the players and coach are physiologically weak, we also have vastly worse players.

The Celtic team that were scared of their shadow against us in 1999 were joined by some key recruits through the spine of the Celtic team and went on to win a treble.

Lennon £5m
Sutton £6.5m
Valgaren £4m

And O’Neil in charge still had guys like Gould in goals, Petta etc. Larsson had looked fairly ordinary for them until O’Neil joined and the collective level of the team was upped.

With a better manager and 3-4 key appointments in both ability and attitude through the spine of the team would make heaps of players we currently have look better. World beaters no. Good enough to challenge the Tims and win silverware - yes.

And before anyone says where are we getting £15.5m from I don’t know but I would guess you could get similar calibre players for £2-3m and if the rumoured £10m budget is right I make that 3 or 4 decent players.

While the players and coach are physiologically weak, we also have vastly worse players.
thats given them to much credit they arent that good but we lost the game in the tunnel they where focused and hungry we had our heads down and wanted to be anywhere else a good manager would have had us fired up for this but murty is a lost school boy

We could and should have been them twice this season, we had two matches where everything went their way and nothing ours, had we been the lucky side we would have beaten them and everything would have been completely different.

Besides Murty's tactics and stubbornness to stick with certain players were co-factors, injuries altered our course drastically also. Losing Jack, Dorrans and McCrorie were huge. It's been a season of really shitty luck, besides the coaching staff not being able to put bite into the players approach.

As for Andy Walker, he is as bitter as they come, an utter helmet.

ability definitely plays a huge part. We can't match their players with what we've got. Fear or no fear their not good enough

The entire club is weak minded at the moment. The board have been weak (on football matters), the manager is weak and the players are weak. The level of mentality and character required to be part of this club are severely lacking.

The decision making is so slow against Celtic - an extra touch here, a pause before making a pass. It gives them just enough time to stop whatever we're trying to do.

That's what a lack of confidence does - players are too busy thinking "i need to not %^*& this up" or "I need to score here" and overthink thinks. When you're firing on all cylinders you have a belief that you can do no wrong, and that's when things happen just that little bit quicker.

I accept what your saying OP, but outside of that, his co -commentary
Was a disgrace. Instead of an impartial standpoint, he creamed over Celtic
All day. Even to the point of telling us his da was at the 7-1 game, and he made it obvious, he was hoping to see even more.
Cant!
Just going to post this. Also when Morelos came on he sniggered ‘Rangers now in a 442. Going for it at 5-0 down’.

It's not often Andy Walker is right when it comes to Rangers but he called it yesterday when he said our problem against celtic is not down to footballing ability, it is down to mentality, psychology and fear.

The players in our squad have had so many hidings of them that they're now scared to play them, effectively our players are beaten in their heads before they even get onto the park.

2. wholesale changes within the playing squad, bringing in players who are not affected like the current crop.
And the mentality’s won’t change as long as we have a manager who frowns on players tell each other home truths

Call me naive but the first step is to beat them. We’ve come close twice, so it cannot be that far from our reach. Victory would prove to the players they are capable. If we can follow that up with a couple of tight games where we give them a game of it, followed by another victory. The corner would be turned.

It all sounds too simple I know, but it all starts with competing. We know this celtic team does not like it when they are put under pressure. Several teams both domestic and continental have shown it’s the way to beat them. For whatever reason (managers tactics, lack of self belief on the part of the players, a combination of both) we haven’t done this on nearly every occasion the past two years. The times we did the result was a lot closer. So we start there. WE pressure them when they are in possession and cut off the option of a pass. We move the ball forward quickly when we are in possession, not giving them the chance to organize. Hopefully a couple of games with this strategy will at least close the gap and restore some self belief that we can actually beat them. Yes there needs to be some changes in personnel but I don’t believe we are as far behind them as the last two results suggest.

If there is one positive that might come out of the past two games it is that the mentally challengeds might become over confident. Hopefully they will feel they are so far in front of us they don’t need to strengthen this summer, at least not significantly. If that is the case it could be the opportunity we need to up our effort, improve our game plan, our commitment, and finally start to turn the tide.

Or then again maybe I’m just a hopeless romantic...

It comes down to “ I am just the guy on the touch line who waves my arms about” his words yesterday. If they are set up wrong, senior players know they are set up wrong but they can’t change it then the last two matches is what happens.

Think the bubble burst for alot of the current squad with the 3-2 defeat at Ibrox. That was the game where the confidence was as high as it's possibly been recently.

We know there are a fair few in that squad that are just not good enough,and I think they know that now, combined with the beating they have taken they are probably shitting themselves at the prospect of playing them next season already.

Andy walker is a bread rattling rhat
Him and that other (unt were loving it yesterday

We need players who are winners. Players who have won something. Leaders. Winners. Not a full team of them, that will come after we actually win something again but a solid spine of them.

Mentality,psychology,fear????

Utter pish. Its ALL about lack of ability. The sooner thats recognised the better. Maybe then we can tackle the problem.

Managers who are astute tactically and can motivate their players to play above themselves can make inferior teams beat superior teams.

6 weeks ago its 2-2, we had taken the lead twice so no reason we can't do it again, then they're down to 10 men. Does the manager take the initiative, take control of the game and make Rodgers worry about us? Nope, he stands staring at the turf and allows Rodgers to get on the front foot once he knows we aren't changing in then leaves it til the games gone to try something.

Even then we were a Morelos sitter away from a draw. It shouldn't have been difficult to pick the players up from that. What do we do? Lose to Kilmarnock, draw with Motherwell, take a tanking in the semi and follow it with an even worse defeat yesterday.

You can't tell me we go from running them close to aggregate 9-0 in 6 weeks and it's down to simple ability?

Bollocks. It's mentality and man management. Rodgers has taken a Deila team who shouldve lost the league to Aberdeen and made them likely back to back treble winners. We put them out the cup with a team featuring Keirnan, Halliday, Miller, Holt, Shiels and Wilson. Plus brought on Law and Clark.

That's down to getting them right on the training ground and making sure their heads are straight when they go on the pitch.

Andy Wanker was dribbling on about his old man going to the 7-1 league cup final defeat of our club.

Andy Wanker can go %^*& himself.

It’s like they’re Mike Tyson and we’re Mike Spinks.

Spinks knew he was getting KO’d before the first bell, our lot go out thinking they’re going to get fûcked and inevitably they do.

The entire club is weak minded at the moment. The board have been weak (on football matters), the manager is weak and the players are weak. The level of mentality and character required to be part of this club are severely lacking.

The board have done a great job getting rid of Ashley and fronting up cash to the last 3 managers, but the last 18 months has been devoid of a football plan. The positives were apparent in the January window and if we’d secured Pedros permanent replacement as soon as he was canned and preferably 3 months earlier we’d be in a far better position today. Now after dithering and effectively writing the season off, the board have left themselves needing to pull a Gerrard sized rabbit out the hat just to start to get back on track.
This is their last chance. %^*& it up and we hand them 10

Back