Jack Charlton has passed away

Sad to hear this......quite an outspoken character in days gone by; and you were in no doubt where you stood with him. However under this old school exterior was a thoroughly decent guy.
Not so celebrated as his brother Bobby, perhaps; but it`s no little achievement to meet your maker as part of the greatest Leeds side ever; and also a World Cup winner.
RIP Big Jack.

My cousin played for him at Boro in the same team as The Magnificent Bastard and he said Big Jack was a top bloke.
he said Jack was great fun at the many team reunions held over the years.

Just reading there that when he joined Middlesborough as manager, he refused a contract and would only do it on a gentlemans agreement that he had full control of the team, wouldn't be sacked, and could have 3 days off a week for fishing. He took 10k salary when he could've been paid a lot more. Football was proper back then.

I remember him co commentating on an Old Firm game, where he called Mikhailichenko everything but Mikhailichenko, another story i liked was when he was manager of the Republic every time he went out for a meal or drinks he used to pay by cheque knowing full well it would not be cashed but framed and hung on the wall, rest easy big guy.

Last edited:
A proper football personality who was a very good player and manager. RIP. Thoughts are with his family.

The only negative story you'll read is the story about the R of I travelling to a game versus England, either the 88 euros, or 90 WC, and Jack played a tape of "cultural tunes" to rile up his mixed nationality squad.

A story recalled by Terry Butcher.

No nonsense any time I heard him in the media or even when he managed the Republic, he never looked for excuses. Never saw him play but I am guessing his game was very much of the no nonsense variety.

RIP Big Jack.

One club man. Won a World Cup. But most importantly was honest and upfront. Didn’t hide away and told it like he saw it. Something that is too rare these days in football.

RIP and thoughts with his family and friends.

I met him at my sister in law’s wedding. Had a wee chat about his time at Leeds. A gentleman.

Rest in peace Jack.

I had the privilege of meeting big Jack along with Ian St John in Buenos Aires in 1978.
Scotland were already knocked out but the English press were using the same boozer as us.
There was about 8 or 9 of us & we gave the press pelters anytime they came in especially Jimmy Hill, so big Jack & saint come in ,this night, we start giving him a bit of stick, he marched right in amongst us asked one of the boys who had an accordion if he could play the " Blaydon Races" , the boy played it big Jack ( steamboats) was singing along big time.
He bought us all a drink.
We asked saint if he could sing flower of Scotland, naa he says but I'll sing the Sash.
The boy on the accordion starts up but just at that moment Jimmy Hill & a few others come in.
Que " JIMMY HILL,S A POOF ", big Jack leading of the singing spilling his bloody Mary all over his trousers.
Him & saint stayed in our company most of the night & had us in stitches with some of his stories
I treasure these memories
RIP big fella

Met him in safeways in Dumfries in 1995 i think. He was a regular in the area to do fishing.
When he was Newcastle manager he got Gazza into fishing to try to calm him down and used to take him to Dumfries with him, they stayed at the Nith Hotel regularly.

I read a story last week that Jack and Bobby Charlton’s Dad was a miner and was working on the day of the 1966 World Cup Final. He only found out that his two boys had won the World Cup when he surfaced at the end of his shift!

I remember when we were drawn against Leeds Utd in the Fairs Cities Cup quarter final in 1968, big Jack was asked for a quote on the draw, and the cheeky bugger replied, “it’ll be easy” :)
It wasn’t exactly easy but they did beat us over the two legs.
Here are the teams from the first leg match at Ibrox:

Rangers: Sorensen; Johansen, Mathieson; Greig, McKinnon, D.Smith; Henderson, A.Smith, Ferguson, Johnston, Persson

Leeds United: Sprake; Reaney, Cooper; Bremner, Charlton, Hunter; Greenhoff (Belfitt), Lorimer, Jones, Giles, Madeley.

RIP big Jack, a genuine football legend

Such a shame he was a gentleman, always remember feeling sorry for him when he looked so nervous at a penalty shootout in the World Cup Italia 90

RIP to big Jack. He was a brilliant footballer.
What a job he did with Ireland. He’s an absolute legend over there.

A man manager if ever there was one.
Nothing seemed to faze him when you heard him talk.
I salute you big man.

Back