Jack Simpson signed on a pre-contract - confirmed

Unless his teammates are midgets, he must be well over 6ft.

6’4” or 1.94 M.

Connor Goldson had similar playing time
Connor Goldson had a heart condition though and was out through having surgery. Hope the boy does great with us but it has to be a concern that we have signed a 24 year old who has played 20 games of first team football in his entire career.

Reactions: TPP
Not many young centrebacks are regulars in top flight football. I’m happy to see what he has to offer. Fits our profile and if we sell one of our current centrebacks all the better.

Is there any reason he’s played hardly any first team football over the last 3/4 years?

I’ll reserve judgement until I see him play but thinking he’ll just be a squad player

I meanc Goldson barely kicked a ball before he signed. Centre backs mature later. I think reserving judgement is definately the order of the day. Face facts: he'll be going some to break in ahead of helander, balogun and Goldson. He's not being signed for the first team, but that's not saying he won't earn a place there especially if Goldson is sold for a fortune!

I meanc Goldson barely kicked a ball before he signed. Centre backs mature later. I think reserving judgement is definately the order of the day. Face facts: he'll be going some to break in ahead of helander, balogun and Goldson. He's not being signed for the first team, but that's not saying he won't earn a place there especially if Goldson is sold for a fortune!
Goldson had 132 senior appearances before we signed him.
Think we are taking a punt on the lad coming good and as he is a free it’s not a bad gamble.

Former coach at Bournemouth saying he used to be a midfielder but transitioned to centreback at age of 18. Might explain his relatively slow development.

Found a glowing quote from Eddie Howe this time last year when he was rumoured to be sent to Derby on loan

“He is a player of huge potential and promise but is coming to an age where he probably feels he needs regular football," the Bournemouth chief told the Daily Echo.
"It’s obviously got to be right for us and for him.
“He’s got that rare composure on the ball. I remember one of the early performances he gave at Chelsea, as good a performance I’ve seen with the ball from a centre-half in a long, long time.
He’s got that ability to find passes under pressure. He seems to rise to the occasion, which is a great quality to have mentally.

Physically he’s good. He is six foot three, he can head the ball and is athletic.

"He does have everything – the only thing missing for Jack is the experience that a lot of the other players have.

“I back him to get there whether that’s with us, in terms in getting in our team, or maybe looking out on loan.”

Will be trying to seek out some highlights of said Chelsea game, 6 ft 3" and good on the ball? Excited about next season already

Always exciting to sign new players and see if they make us stronger. I like all the central defenders we have at present and don't really want to see any of them go.Goldson Helander and Balogun have been the main center backs this season and performed brilliantly. Katic is a bit raw and unfortunate with injury. Edmundson also a bit raw but like Katic plenty of time to develop and work on weakness. If Katic Edmundson or both were to be sold I hope we get decent sell on clauses. If Simpson turns out better than Nikola and George then great work by us and our level will raise higher with tougher competition for places.

Didn’t say it was a prospect, but 24 is still an age you’re going to get better. Look Ryan Jack for example, he was older when he signed and improved massively.
Spot on with that and they got to remember in England the development league is U23s so plenty time to develop and make him better. Gerrard has been after him for a couple transfer windows I.e summer ones and this has just fallen into place for him now.

24 isn’t exactly classed as a prospect though, you’d expect players to be established by then

Fair point re getting better, no doubt the coaching team will turn him into a better player. Just trying to be realistic re expectations
Established players can still improve though, look at Ryan Jack as an example. Captain of Aberdeen before he signed but a far better player now than he was then.

Don’t know much about him but what I do know is that Ross Wilson and Gerrard will know everything about him and they must see a player who’s character will fit our dressing room, a player who can be developed and improved and a guy who’s abilities will fit into the system we play.

it’s such a good feeling being able to trust the people we have in charge of player recruitment now.

Back