Jack Wilshere, is he done?

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Ankle won't heal and West Ham say he's out for the season.

I like him, he was a throwback : cheeky fag, beer, exquisite skills, but had no real athletic prowess. Always struggled for fitness over full season.

Played 60 games in last 3 seasons, and has only played more than 30 games a season in the league once: 2010/2011.

Only 27 this year. What is the FF verdict?

Did he ever get started in the first place ?

He's the English equivalent of Eoin Jess. Burst onto the scene with huge potential and promise and then promptly did very little over a number of years to justify it.

Remember the outcry from some over Arsenal letting him go last year ? Arsenal have called it spot on.

Waste of a talent. 27 seems to be about the age players who party hard are finished at.

Won’t be the first and won’t be the last.

He’s done at the top level, had the same amount of technical ability as Fabregas, Xavi and Iniesta but couldn’t stay fit.

Some Arsenal fans called him "Jack Wheelchair", his injury history is horrendous.

It is a shame, he looked like he was going to be a great player.

I can't remember if it was him or Aaron Ramsay that Alan Smith annoyed me over.

He spent the 90 minutes telling us how poor Scottish football is while wanking over the players' performance...against what he repeatedly would call a subpar team.

He's the English equivalent of Eoin Jess. Burst onto the scene with huge potential and promise and then promptly did very little over a number of years to justify it.

Remember the outcry from some over Arsenal letting him go last year ? Arsenal have called it spot on.

Exactly this. Remember he tore us to bits in a friendly & that was probably the best I've ever seen him play.

He has always got plenty of support from the media & was massively overrated when he was heading out on loan to bournmouth.

He proved there that he was an average player. Doesn't have the engine nor creative ability to play midfield.

Ex players get misty eyed about him but I suspect that's probably because he tore it up at youth level I suspect

Shame. He had talent, but never lived up to the expectations that were heaped upon him.

That’s not his fault though.

Beckham was retiring and the conglomerates were looking for a new English poster boy, and he was het. Unfortunately for JW, he didn’t have Beckhams talent as a player. Probably made a fortune from Pepsi alone, but it only heightened the pressure on him to deliver, and he never did.

Seems all that's required to be a footballer these days. Is to be athletic tall and strong I actually miss folk like cantona gazza Le Tissier. Imo academies just churn out footballing machines. There's not really any characters left in the game.
As for Wiltshire I think he could have been a great player if it wasn't for injuries.

Arsenal have been full of young gunners who haven’t fulfilled their potential - Walcott, Ramsay and Wilshire are 3 of them. Just plateaued. Stacks of talent but never progressed.

And that’s one of the reasons they havent won the league for 15 years.

A waste of space.

Remember Scholes saying this about him on TV: 'Wilshere, what a really top young player, but he has not really gone on. Injuries have not helped him but he does not look any better player now than when he was 17.”

That was nearly 5 years ago and he hasn't even developed any further since then.

I reckon that even at his best - he still wasn't quite the finished article -
Injuries & loss of form prevented him from fulfilling the percieved potential we all thought he had IMO
He now seems to be chasing a career at the age of 27 & I'm not sure he's going to improve- in fact I can see him tumbling down the divisions now - another case of 'what might have been'
Hope I'm wrong- because he seems likeable enough as a person- although I could easily be wrong about that as well

Don’t think he’s done but he’ll never hit the heights that his potential suggested he had.

On his day he’s a really good technically gifted football but you’ll never get him fit for a full year. English clubs though can afford that luxury so he’ll likely jump about the lower premiership/championship on a decent wage for the rest of his career

I was only thinking about him the other day.

What a waste of talent if this is the case.

We watched him single handed, beat Rangers at the Emirates tournament a few years back.
Every bear in and around me that day could not believe what we where watching.
An unbelievable talent imo.

One serious Injury as a youngster can seriously effect a career, JW is another in a long line, Woodgate, Owen, are examples and everyone’s body is different, some cope very well with the stress that Football puts on them, Ronaldo and Messi have had relatively few injuries for the number of games played.

Shame for him, terrific player at one point in time. Sadly injuries have caught up with him.

Maybe he'd be suited to a different league where there's less emphasis on physicality and more on technical ability?

Fat Alan Brazil was apoplectic with Rage.

Jack this Jack that, Arsenal showing a lack of ambition etc :D

Round about the same time he said he had no idea who Bielsa was and Leeds would have been better off with Sol or Tim :D

One serious Injury as a youngster can seriously effect a career, JW is another in a long line, Woodgate, Owen, are examples and everyone’s body is different, some cope very well with the stress that Football puts on them, Ronaldo and Messi have had relatively few injuries for the number of games played.

TBF, Owen had a good career over a number of years, I can't remember Wilshire having a good year :D

He’s done at the top level, had the same amount of technical ability as Fabregas, Xavi and Iniesta but couldn’t stay fit.

Let’s not take the piss, he has nowhere near the ability that they possessed, particularly Iniesta.

Anyway Wilshere is 27 and has barely progressed from when he was that talented teenager, so his time for ascending to the top of the game has certainly been and gone. Finish as a top level player, not finished as a footballer in general.

Maybe we could take him on loan, exactly what we need to dictate games, unlock defenses, help him back up to fitness...... then again a Declan Gallagher type would ensure he's done before his 28th birthday.

Exactly this. Remember he tore us to bits in a friendly & that was probably the best I've ever seen him play.

He has always got plenty of support from the media & was massively overrated when he was heading out on loan to bournmouth.

He proved there that he was an average player. Doesn't have the engine nor creative ability to play midfield.

Ex players get misty eyed about him but I suspect that's probably because he tore it up at youth level I suspect

Im not sure I agree. I watched a lot of Wilshere when he broke through, and he was as talanted as I've seen come through at Arsenal. He held his own, if not out performed a midfield that had Fabregas, Song & Nasri in it. Not saying he was anywhere near the same player, but he had a way of gliding past players like Gascoigne had that's rarely seen in an English midfielder.

However, once he got that first ankle injury a couple of years in he was never the same player. Seemed to lose a wee bit acceleration that helped him go past players, & his style of play meant his ankle was always succeptable to further damage.

I don't think his lifestyle had much to do with it. He had kids young and on social media he wasn't ever out much, he was with his kids & family most of the time the past few years, & he spent lots of time in the gym. I just think he's unlucky, much like Diaby that used to play for Arsenal, that his ankles are made of chocolate.

Arsenal seem to have a history of players getting long term injuries...Wilshere, Diaby, Rosicky. Wonder if it's just bad luck or something to do with their training methods/recovery.

Socrates, Rossi, Cruyff, Prosinecki, Hagi, all 40 a day men .

Smoking is bad for you but it doesn’t affect your ankle aged 27.

He’s just an injury prone footballer .

Erm, I'm spotting an altogether big howling difference between Wiltshire and those you have mentioned..

And it has sod all to do with injuries or fags.

Arsenal seem to have a history of players getting long term injuries...Wilshere, Diaby, Rosicky. Wonder if it's just bad luck or something to do with their training methods/recovery.

A few ex-Arsenal players have said that the medical team under Wenger was shite, and the treatment wasn't up to scratch. A lot of Wilshire's injuries have been impact injuries, rather than muscle-related.

You do wonder if they would have came a lot closer to the top prizes if they didn't lose players to injury for long spells. The likes of Wilshere, Rosicky, Diaby, Eduardo, Vermaelen all players that suffered bad injuries but didn't get back anywhere near their previous levels, while the likes of Ramsey & Van Persie were out for long periods but managed to recover some form.

He’s done at the top level, had the same amount of technical ability as Fabregas, Xavi and Iniesta but couldn’t stay fit.[/
A few ex-Arsenal players have said that the medical team under Wenger was shite, and the treatment wasn't up to scratch. A lot of Wilshire's injuries have been impact injuries, rather than muscle-related.

Nowhere near Iniesta and Xavi’s level! Haha

Is he done?

Depends on your "bar" for him.

Was he ever world class? No, far from it.

Was he pretty good? Yeah, when fit.

Has he been fit for a prolonged period in the last 4 years? No.

Would you trust him to dominate a midfield for a season without being injured at Rangers? Not on your fucking life.

Done.

Ankle won't heal and West Ham say he's out for the season.

I like him, he was a throwback : cheeky fag, beer, exquisite skills, but had no real athletic prowess. Always struggled for fitness over full season.

Played 60 games in last 3 seasons, and has only played more than 30 games a season in the league once: 2010/2011.

Only 27 this year. What is the FF verdict?
Yes, he's done.

Arsenal have been full of young gunners who haven’t fulfilled their potential - Walcott, Ramsay and Wilshire are 3 of them. Just plateaued. Stacks of talent but never progressed.

And that’s one of the reasons they havent won the league for 15 years.

Signed for Juventus which is not bad!

Back