James Tavernier has found a home at Rangers now his mum won’t mention Celtic by name or have any green in her house

BlueMeanie

MARCUS TAVERNIER believes his title-winning brother James has found a home at Rangers.
Tavernier has endured a rollercoaster six years in Glasgow since Mark Warburton signed him from Wigan in 2015.
Rangers captain James Tavernier is in his sixth season at Ibrox

Often a whipping boy for Ibrox fans, the 29-year-old has been forced to watch Celtic enjoy unprecedented supremacy in Scotland.
Now though, the right-back has written himself into Ibrox folklore after leading Gers to arguably the most important title win in their history.
Tavernier - tipped to hoover up this season's Player of the Year gongs - is entering the final year of his Rangers contract and talks are expected to open soon over an extension.
And Marcus, 22, believes it would take something special to tempt his big bro to leave Govan.
Brother Marcus Tavernier plays for Middlesbrough

"I don’t think we realised how big the club was.
“He’s found himself a home now. Before Rangers, he didn’t have that.
“What’s not to like about playing for Rangers? He’s captain, he’s just won the league and he’s about to play Champions League football.
"Every player can only wish to do that, so for him to leave at some point would be the hardest decision he’s made.”
The Tavernier family is now steeped in Rangers - especially mum Bernie.
Marcus said: “She is Rangers’ No 1 fan at the moment, she loves the club.

“She won’t have anything green in the house and won’t say any words to do with Celtic or any of their players’ names!
"She’s really taken it to heart about how much it means to my brother and the family.”
Middlesbrough wideman Marcus hasn't met his sibling in over a year now due to the coronavirus pandemic.
However, the pair speak every day and Marcus remembers a particular video call as Celtic fell to a shock loss in Dingwall in February.

He said: “I called him on Facetime him when Celtic were playing Ross County and it was like he was playing against them in the last five minutes. He was basically managing County, telling them to clear it.
“The journey he has gone on has been incredible. For him to be captain when they stopped 10 in a row and got that trophy back, I couldn’t be happier for him.
“People don’t realise how much Rangers means to him. He’s fallen in love with the club.”

If Tav doesn’t oversee the transferral of several million MyGers points to his Maw as a reward for her staunchness then he doesn’t deserve a contract extension.
Aye, and when Bernie is in receipt of such a wondrous bounty, maybe she can slip a few thousand my way. After all, it’s not as if she’ll be needing them. :cool:

Tav is going nowhere

Said it on another thread - his career was rocky before rangers, he loves it here and has been at the journey for so long now, there's no point risking it when he's at the top of the world to go to another club and risk it ending like his career before rangers

He's rangers till he retires imo.

Fair play to his mum.

Sounds very positive re Tav being settled and happy to stay here.
Get it done Rangers. Nathan is the future but we still need Tav.

Tav is going nowhere

Said it on another thread - his career was rocky before rangers, he loves it here and has been at the journey for so long now, there's no point risking it when he's at the top of the world to go to another club and risk it ending like his career before rangers

He's rangers till he retires imo.

Fair play to his mum.
I don't think his mum would let him leave :))

Worth keeping tabs on.

Id imagine we will be well aware of him he's had 90 games for Boro and played for England under 20/21s - not to mention his brother being the club captain.

I think he will be out our budget - there was chat in january for Leeds looking at signing him for over 10m.

young / english = mental money

Which opens up an interesting conversation about Patterson?
If Tav signs a contract extension, then perhaps the best thing for Patterson would be to go out on loan next season, but for me it has to either be for one of the traditionally bigger clubs in Scotland (Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs) or an English Championship team. IMO He is already far too good for Scottish championship or English League 1. If he were to get a really good loan season under his belt at good level then we really could have a ready made RB for 22/23 season. As much as I hate to use them as an example, I think Christie’s loan at Aberdeen was a success and think something similar for Patterson could work.

If Tav signs a contract extension, then perhaps the best thing for Patterson would be to go out on loan next season, but for me it has to either be for one of the traditionally bigger clubs in Scotland (Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs) or an English Championship team. IMO He is already far too good for Scottish championship or English League 1. If he were to get a really good loan season under his belt at good level then we really could have a ready made RB for 22/23 season. As much as I hate to use them as an example, I think Christie’s loan at Aberdeen was a success and think something similar for Patterson could work.
I actually agree with that mate. I just hope we can keep both players happy as one is the natural successor to the other. My worry is that McCrorie has went backwards at warp speed at Aberdeen and that any injury to Tav leaves us short (as Balogun proved yesterday) esp in europe. Its a tricky situation

Brilliant

Was there also not a story about Jimmy Bell telling a former player they weren’t allowed green boots or not allowed to wear green.

Legend haha

I actually agree with that mate. I just hope we can keep both players happy as one is the natural successor to the other. My worry is that McCrorie has went backwards at warp speed at Aberdeen and that any injury to Tav leaves us short (as Balogun proved yesterday) esp in europe. Its a tricky situation
It doesn’t have to be Aberdeen, just using them as an example. And if Patterson were to go out on loan we would absolutely have to bring in a back up in the summer incase Tav were to get injured - squad player like Polster was last season but on a short term contract.

No green wrapped penguin biscuits in Mrs Taverneir's kitchen.

On yersel Bernadette.

The true measure of a man is not how he behaves in moments of comfort and convenience but how he stands at times of controversy and challenges.” ―

this applies to our captain more than most more tears from me as he lifts that trophy
Who said that? Great quote

Back