James Tavernier injury setback as Rangers dealt title race blow

NDC bear forever

:(
James Tavernier injury setback as Rangers dealt title race blow amid hectic run of fixtures

Steven Gerrard is set to be without his captain when they return to action after the winter break.

BY GAVIN BERRY

22:29, 15 JAN 2020UPDATED20:26, 15 JAN 2020
(Image: SNS Group)

Rangers have bean dealt a title race injury blow with skipper James Tavernier facing up to three weeks on the sidelines.

The full back is suffering from a virus and Light Blues boss Steven Gerrard is set to be without his talismanic captain when they return to action after the winter break.

Rumours were rife that Tavernier’s appendix had burst and Gers fans feared the 28-year-old could have been ruled out for months.

Record Sport Online revealed that wasn’t the case and that Englishman only had a small infection, however, it is serious enough to keep him out for two to three weeks.
That means Tavernier won’t be available for the visit of Stranraer to Ibrox for Friday night’s Scottish Cup fourth round tie.

Gerrard might have considered resting him anyway against the League One basement side but his absence will be felt for a hectic run of league fixtures.
Rangers face five Premiershipgames in the next three weeks against St Mirren, Hearts, Ross County, Aberdeen and Hibs.
Gerrard could now turn to Jon Flanagan, Matt Polster and youngster Nathan Patterson, who impressed during the club’s winter break friendly against Lokomotiv Tashkent in Dubai, and has the option of Ryan Jackdropping back to a position he’s played in previously.

Feels like the cards are falling right for Patterson.

Tav hardly misses a game for 4 years then as soon as Patterson is in the squad and getting decent reviews he’s fucked.

Any bets on Patterson getting a start and then turning into a twenty first century Lou Gehrig?

For 3 years Tav ran down the right flank with no one decent on the left. Hopefully we can create enough drom the left to get us thru next 3
I’d like to see this boy Patterson given a proper chance.
I'm with you on that. We've got to start using these lads and its not as if they're going in with the team decimated. He will have good pros around him to help. Friday night would be a good start for him.

:(
James Tavernier injury setback as Rangers dealt title race blow amid hectic run of fixtures

Steven Gerrard is set to be without his captain when they return to action after the winter break.

BY GAVIN BERRY

22:29, 15 JAN 2020UPDATED20:26, 15 JAN 2020
(Image: SNS Group)

Rangers have bean dealt a title race injury blow with skipper James Tavernier facing up to three weeks on the sidelines.

The full back is suffering from a virus and Light Blues boss Steven Gerrard is set to be without his talismanic captain when they return to action after the winter break.

Rumours were rife that Tavernier’s appendix had burst and Gers fans feared the 28-year-old could have been ruled out for months.

Record Sport Online revealed that wasn’t the case and that Englishman only had a small infection, however, it is serious enough to keep him out for two to three weeks.
That means Tavernier won’t be available for the visit of Stranraer to Ibrox for Friday night’s Scottish Cup fourth round tie.

Gerrard might have considered resting him anyway against the League One basement side but his absence will be felt for a hectic run of league fixtures.
Rangers face five Premiershipgames in the next three weeks against St Mirren, Hearts, Ross County, Aberdeen and Hibs.
Gerrard could now turn to Jon Flanagan, Matt Polster and youngster Nathan Patterson, who impressed during the club’s winter break friendly against Lokomotiv Tashkent in Dubai, and has the option of Ryan Jackdropping back to a position he’s played in previously.
That’s just a report of the mental thread we had on here earlier today!!!

It will be 2 weeks at most. The fact that the paper says 2-3 means 3 is the worst case scenario and they want it in their story.

I'll wait till the manager tells us the real story.
Yeh I’m with you 2 weeks max.....Holidays expose you to different bugs!

It’s the record , the bastion of truth

he has a virus , let’s wait to see what SG says , my guess he’s back for Hearts game if not the Ross County one.

Would only really say Aberdeen is tricky, Hibs will get pumped - Gerrard has their number.

Get Patterson in and give him a shot. Maybe poster aswell. Time for them to step up and make their rangers career. But the next few weeks will be an eye opener, and people will realise just how much Tav offers to us

Reactions: M@x
Flanagan or Patterson?

Absolutely nothing to be gained from playing Flanagan against Stranraer. I would expect the youngster to get the nod.
If Flanagan is going to be the replacement for the next few games (I hope he's not) then some may argue that he needs the Stranraer game to get minutes in his legs as he hasn't featured since Pittodrie.

Just hope he isnt out for long and that he finds his form immediately. He was oustanding the 3 or 4 weeks before the break

I wouldn't be too concerned if Flanagan was to step in. OK, he probably doesn't offer as much going forward as Tab and he has had a few shocking performances at left-back, but I think he's solid enough on his natural side. Good mentality as well.

Would it really be that bad an idea of putting Jack at RB?

I was for Patterson but I’m not totally sure.

If Jack goes out of the midfield we’ll still be strong enough with Davis, Kamara and Arfield in there.

Being honest - 3 weeks now is not ideal but OK.. we’ve got the less trickier fixtures to start off with

I agree and I trust the squad and management team to see us ok.

Stranraer, St Mirren and hearts away we should have more than enough to deal with.

Would it really be that bad an idea of putting Jack at RB?

I was for Patterson but I’m not totally sure.

If Jack goes out of the midfield we’ll still be strong enough with Davis, Kamara and Arfield in there.
We'd miss him in the middle of the park mate! It doesnt send a good message to Patterson and makes having Polster and Flanagan pretty pointless

I don't know why but I have a feeling we will get the best out of whoever is going to step in, we're on course for 55 and nothing is stopping us.

I agree mate. We are a far stronger team/squad than this time 12 months ago, also mentally too. I think the staff and squad doubted themselves last year, but this year we can see that they know we are better than them. So do the other lot fwiw.

I have no concerns about Defoe coming in for a few games, he will get goals and also if Tav is out it’s the perfect time to give the young rb a chance, while the team is full of confidence and playing well.

Back