Press Conference James Tavernier speaks before the Hibs game

I don’t know what I expect to hear from
Tav under the current circumstances but I think I wanted a bit more tbh.

Doesn’t seem that bothered about anything, captaincy, old manager, new manager, what the fans think. All a bit meh. Could have been an interview from last year or the year before really. Feels like he’s just going through the motions.

i know it limited what he can say but a little more passion would help.

I’m not generally a Tav basher but I think the two way street comment in reference to the fans will be another stick to beat him with for those who are.

Doesn’t seem that bothered about anything, captaincy, old manager, new manager, what the fans think. All a bit meh. Could have been an interview from last year or the year before really. Feels like he’s just going through the motions.

Agree. I said it in another thread - not everyone in agreement with me. We’ve seen this script before with him. I hope we see a big improvement tomorrow.

The man’s well out his depth,it’s not about bashing him,he’s captained to much failure,he’s not a leader and should be made to earn a start,and not just start because he can hit a pen,and has scored some important goals,a captain is much more than this,teams quite rightly target him,as hes easiest option.It would be an issue the manager doesn’t need at this point,but end of the season we must take this privilege from him.

The man’s well out his depth,it’s not about bashing him,he’s captained to much failure,he’s not a leader and should be made to earn a start,and not just start because he can hit a pen,and has scored some important goals,a captain is much more than this,teams quite rightly target him,as hes easiest option.It would be an issue the manager doesn’t need at this point,but end of the season we must take this privilege from him.
Clement might even make a decision on the captaincy in January. Depends how he judges all the players between now and then.

Agree. I said it in another thread - not everyone in agreement with me. We’ve seen this script before with him. I hope we see a big improvement tomorrow.
He has another 2 seasons after this of his contract to run, quite frightening and another mistake by prior managers.

If he has to replaced or moved on , we need a suitable replacement asap.

Theres no way he can be here in two years .

I would imagine Clement has noticed his body language in the games he's watched from this season.
Shoulders hunched over, lazy jogging style running.
The thing with Tav though is he can disguise it with moments of brilliance.

I'm tavs biggest fan and have had numerous back n forth with fellow fans on here about " differing opinions " , he is someone we will miss when his time is up .

However that is a shocker of a presser , he looks and sounds scunnered

I'm tavs biggest fan and have had numerous back n forth with fellow fans on here about " differing opinions " , he is someone we will miss when his time is up .

Well he did say its a two way street..
Were scunnered,and i shiuld know more than others

You’ve had numb nuts on here and social media targeting him demanding the captaincy removed despite 20 players in front of him being fucking useless.

Out of curiosity how does one judge what is and what is not a 'shocker' of a press conference?

The extremely hard of thinking now don't like his performances in press conference, never mind on the pitch.

Total weirdos the lot of them.
Yup we are a hard gig with some fans some see things and then mangle them up to suit thier own agenda..Christ the guys maybe got the cold or just a bit tired of all the negativity around him,and before anyway says it I’m definitely not a fan of him but I do understand what’s going on.

Inspiring stuff.

He’s only the captain though so who cares. Still on course to be our top scorer this season so that’s the main thing really. Bet the scum are jealous as %^*&.

I'm not surprised he looks and sounds downbeat (deadbeat?). Bit like the rest of us. Not exactly the weather to be cutting about in a Lambo either. Not going to batter the guy for his performance in the presser, but will be happy to dish it out if he and the rest of the squad make a cvnt of it tomorrow.

A Tav bashing thread the day before the first game under the new manager. B-)

The same people annoyed at his press conference are the same ones who'd be annoyed if he didn't do it today as well. Can't win.
I am not annoyed at him but worried about his mental state. He looks and talks so depressed.

You’ve had numb nuts on here and social media targeting him demanding the captaincy removed despite 20 players in front of him being fucking useless.

Just want the guy to have a bit more fire in him.

Maybe I have an old school view but I think a Rangers Captain should be ready to run through brick walls for this club, he should be an example to the rest of the team.

After watching the managers Presser first I started to get a bit of optimism but Tavs just after it took the wind right back out of the sails.

He doesn’t look like he is in a good place. I hope I’m wrong because he is one of the guys we will rely on to dig us out of this pit.

Last edited:
Some people should just stop watching the interviews tbh.

I think in some minds they expect players to be shouting and bawling or calling the ex manager a wanker and all this other wild nonsense that'll never ever happen.

Press conferences are dull. Players are media trained to answer the boring questions in a robotic manner.

Just watching it now, I thought there was going to be tears the way some have went on. Hes just himself, what are they expecting? Hes also trying not to give anything away about team set up.
It's because it's Tav ,you only need to go back to the St Mirren game scores 2 has a big part in the other goal and some people on here are devastated
It appears as tho they want him to make a mistake and us to lose so they can say they were right ,like I said weird weird people

Some people should just stop watching the interviews tbh.

I think in some minds they expect players to be shouting and bawling or calling the ex manager a wanker and all this other wild nonsense that'll never ever happen.

Press conferences are dull. Players are media trained to answer the boring questions in a robotic manner.

See if he was giving it we are going to do this that and the other, it would be do your talking on the pitch Tav ffs.

Hes probably just done the training, had his lunch and wanting a nap after it!

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that the club captain looks so down beat before a game with a new Manager in place. Hope I'm wrong.
Thinking the exact same. The captain referring to himself as a squad player and the words "try to" rather than more positive phrases is quite uninspiring. He acts like he's working in an office and they've got a new team leader in rather than the captain of a football club with an exciting new manager.

edit: watching this as a type but he's said "learn from it", "go again" and "galvanise the squad" all in the one sentence. Deary me!

Lacklustre is the word that springs to mind when I watched this. I'm sure he is immensely proud to be captain of this club but he pretty clearly doesn't enjoy sitting in front of the media.

Never change FF, never change.

One thing to be sure of is football fans are one of the most fickle and two faced bunches in the world.

X player is shit, X player is now a legend, nah he’s shit again, no wait he’s great again.

We’re all experts, until we’re not.

Back