Jamie Maclaren claims Rangers fans showered him with coins

Bonnyloyal

Jamie Maclaren has claimed Rangers fans threw a barrage of coins at him after he netted his first-ever goal for Hibs.

The Easter Road striker has reignited the debate that was sparked after his boss Neil Lennon was felled by a coin thrown at Tynecastle during the Edinburgh derby earlier this month before Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos had a 50 pence piece flung at him during their win at St Mirren.

Now Australia striker Maclaren, who is Down Under preparing for the Socceroos' friendly with South Korea at the weekend, has recalled what happened when he scored his first goal for Hibs last season in a 2-1 win at Ibrox in February.

But the 25-year-old insists he loves Scottish fans' passions.

Maclaren said: "My first goal for Hibs was away at Ibrox.

"We scored the winner against Rangers and I remember seeing coins just fly past me, fans just launching stuff and it does just show the passion they’ve got over there.

Jamie, here's my reaction

200.gif

It's really mental how many people remember things so long after they happen and report on them then. It's also so sad to hear about all the disgusting things we have all done. I don't remember throwing any coins at this guy, but I bloody must have.

Who was the Celtic player who feared for his life so much he had to buy a batmobile?

The standards of "journalism" are so low everywhere right now that he could say that one of our support lead an 18th century inspired cavalry charge against him after the goal and nobody would even bother to verify it before print.

There should be video evidence and screenshots, if there isn't then he is full of shit.

I’d like to know how the rags find out this information.

Are the beast loving players volunteering this information or are the rags sending out feelers for anti Rangers stories?

Why don’t they get in touch with GVB and ask him if he’s had a “barrage of coins”(note their use of language there) launched at him?

Oh! I see, it’s all captured on video and not made up, so it would mean you’d have to imbed a link.

No agenda here, move along.

I've just watched this very closely on Youtube about 10 times in a row and there is not a single item thrown in his direction.

The club should be lodging a complaint about the player saying that as it's slanderous against Rangers and the supporters.

Outrageous.

Isn't it amazing that 9 months after the game, he comes out with this and all this just after his manager is hit with a coin and plays the victim? Sure it's just a coincidence.

We’ve all thrown in the region of £859 pound worth of coins in the last few weeks. How will I afford my season ticket next season.

Of course that happened... because folk throwing coins at Ibrox would be largely ignored by the media, especially throwing coins at players of a team managed by Neil Lennon.

It's really mental how many people remember things so long after they happen and report on them then. It's also so sad to hear about all the disgusting things we have all done. I don't remember throwing any coins at this guy, but I bloody must have.

Who was the Celtic player who feared for his life so much he had to buy a batmobile?

That would have been the curry loving, nomadic Didier Agathe and M4 sherman tank.

Old Firm rivalry forced me to move home nine times in a year says former Celtic star Didier Agathe
The former full back revealed he travelled to work in an armoured vehicle after receiving death threats.

By
Steve Goodman
Former Celtic star Didier Agathe has delivered a damning verdict on Glasgow’s footballing rivalry - claiming it forced him to move home NINE TIMES in a year.

Agathe even alleged he received death threats from Rangers fans, and drove to training in an armoured vehicle.

In an interview with a French publication, the former full-back also criticised the abuse he endured from Ibrox crowds.

And the former wing-back said he would have loved to play for Scotland, but feared prejudice from Light Blues followers.

Now retired, he has returned to his native Indian Ocean island Reunion. The 42-year-old spoke out as he previewed last Saturday's clash between Celtic and Rangers.

Agathe told sofoot: "I have so many memories. The Old Firm rivalry forced me to move house nine times in just one season.

"One time some Rangers guys smashed up my car, just because Celtic had won all the domestic trophies.

"On another occasion people sent death threats to my home, so I used an armoured van to go in to training.

"The atmosphere at the derby is indescribable. It always gets record TV audiences in Scotland, and it's shown in the Middle East and the US as both teams have lots of fans worldwide.

"The Old Firm derby is about everything besides football. When I see Lionel Messi saying Celtic Park has the best atmosphere he's ever experienced I am not surprised.

"Grandparents take their grandchildren along to a clash between Catholics and Protestants. You hear non-stop chanting about the Pope and the Virgin Mary - it is unhealthy and dripping with hate.

"During my time with Celtic we used to play against the likes of the De Boer brothers and Mikel Arteta.

"Rangers paid their players handsomely, and this cost them their demotion.

"We achieved a domestic treble against them, and beat them seven times in a row. We made our mark on the club's history.

"Players get caught up in what is at stake in the derby, and the entire week before the game is a brainstorming session.

"Fans always tell the players they'd sooner lose to Juventus, Barcelona or any other team than Rangers. This is the one game you must win.

"Both teams will have players who are mentally weak, and they will launch themselves into violent challenges if the game isn't going their way.

"Some people blow a fuse if they lose a game with so much riding on it."

Former Scotland boss Berti Vogts expressed interest in picking Agathe, who was eligible to become a UK citizen, in 2004.

The Frenchman said: "I would have loved to play for Scotland. However I felt that, even if there was no racism involved, the fact I'd be the only black player could lead to things turning sour for me if the team did badly.
"I would have been slaughtered. I expected a bad outcome, as I knew some people - especially Rangers fans - didn't want to see me in a Scotland shirt.

"Besides, it was a risk to burden my workload with international matches - bearing in mind I had played my entire career without cartilage in my knees.

"I have another memory. I am Catholic, so saw it as a sign when I joined Celtic.

One year we were in the middle of Lent, with an Old Firm game set for the weekend. I was in a well-known Indian restaurant in Glasgow, where I ate a normal meal in accordance with my faith.

"Two days later I drove to training. Hundreds of people were waiting for autographs, and a guy spoke to me saying he was a journalist. I told him I had to train and had been told not to speak to the media.

"He was still there after training, and he later showed up outside my house. He said it was about the Indian restaurant, and asked why I went there, but I didn't answer.

"On the day of the derby the paper printed a headline about me, and a copy of a restaurant bill showing I'd supposedly ordered dozens of dishes. It was nonsense.

"During the whole game the Ibrox crowd sang: 'Agathe loves curry' every time I touched the ball. It was insane!"

Just another lying bastard in the line.having a pop at our support.These f ucking scumbags really ate shitting themselves as the SG Express runs full steam ahead to #55 whether it's this season or next.

That didi agathe? Did yeaye.
Still in hiding.

That would have been the curry loving, nomadic Didier Agathe and chevron tank. .
That didi agathe? Did yeaye.
Still in hiding.

That's the one, I vividly remember his treatment and thinking 'WOW! We're really giving it to this guy tight' Remember all those songs about him and curries? ha!

"Ohh agathe loves currys he eats them all the time, all of the currys. His favourite is korma. But as we said he like all currys."
"Rice or Naan he's not fussed he eats curries that you can trust"

I remember this.

There were thousands on their feet ragging with wee James as he scored.

We gave him about £5k worth of coins that day but he's only tahhing now it wasn't more.

Back