Jermain Defoe expected to leave at the end of the season (Ibrox Loyal)

mkgers

Could be a load of shite but I saw it and thought I'd share.

"Jermain Defoe expected to leave Rangers at the end of the season.

The 38 year old is apparently not ready to retire yet, and wants to keep on playing, but as Rangers look to wrap up the title and improve going forward, it looks like there isn't playing plans for Defoe at Ibrox.

Many thought the striker would move into a coaching role at Ibrox once he called it quits on his playing career, but he doesn't want to give up just yet.

The player is now free to speak to other clubs."

Fair play to him wanting to continue, if true.

Would always be welcomed back at Ibrox. Got to agree, moving forward, that it’s the right decision to part ways as we will be looking to make the CL and defend a league title.

Brilliant professional and been a pleasure to have him at the club. Wish him all the best and would hope to see him back one day.

He still has something to offer a team, so l don't really blame him.
He would kick himself in later years if he felt he just let his career fizzle out when he still had some in the tank.
And he isn't going to get a regular spot here.

However, l do see him getting a few games after the title has been confirmed.

Hopefully he will return to us (assuming SG is still here) in some capacity after he's finished as he seems to have fallen in love with the Club.

I wanted him to stay as a coach but if fancies one last go with another team then I can’t hold that against him. A model professional who brings so much on and off the field.

I wish him all the best.

I think a team in the English Championship should be looking to get Defoe in. Still in fine nick, it's just that fortunately for us we have really good striking options at the club now that he does not get much of a look in.

Wish him all the best if true. I have loved having him at Rangers. Been an absolutely brilliant professional and has scored some fine goals for us. Never let us down when on the park.

This would not be a surprise. There's been no room for sentiment in this season where we've wrested back control. There's even less room for sentiment next season as we start to really lay down a marker as the dominant side.

Harsh reality said and done. We all love Jermain Defoe and if he goes, he goes as a Rangers legend.

Last edited:
Reactions: TQ3
Great guy; top professional; I would love to see him fulfil exactly the same role next season, as he has done this season. We love him, and it`s pretty clear he loves life at Rangers.
No reason why he shouldn`t have at least one more season.

He will leave with his league title and be apart of the team that won 55.

And last but not least, he will leave as one of the finest professionals we have ever had

Taking the OP at face value, if Defoe goes, he goes and I can understand the reasons behind the decision to let him leave (if ours) or behind his choosing to go (if his).

However, he will leave as a winner. Something that he will always remember about his time at Rangers.

His influence on the other strikers in training and matches cannot be understated and we should be thankful for that as well as his goals.

He will always be a Ranger and will always be welcome back to our Club.

Whilst this statement is hardly left field, the fact it’s came from Facebook makes me think JD will sign a 5 year deal.

I think JD will be the type of guy still turning out for some lower league team in his late 40s down some local park. Guy just loves the game. I'd love him to stay in a coaching role but don't think that's him.

I think he's being a bit daft of the shitty story your is true, he's 38 and been quite injury prone tbh, he stays here in a player/coach role he gets the benefit of both worlds.

Ibrox Loyal, FFS :D

Anyway, if he does leave he'll leave as a champion and with everyone's best wishes. Will be a shame if he doesn't get to bid farewell to a full Ibrox though.

No no no just no, selfishly I want him to stay and be a squad player/coach, teach the young fellas what it takes to be an elite athlete at the worlds most successful club

We've not had many players be a better 'fit' for our club before. Consumate professional, dedicated, great with the fans, humble and above all else a fantastic player. Just wish we could have got him 10 years ago.

I can see him possibly going back to Sunderland to see if he can help get them out of League 1.

If it's Ibrox Loyal then that means he's here next season...

As a poster said above I wouldn't be shocked to see him at Sunderland if they're still in League One.

If he leaves all I can say is thank you and that I'm proud that a guy of his class on and off the pitch played for Rangers.

It makes sense. Been great having him but if he's nor playing or very rarely playing then it's time to move him on.

I feel he has the bug and could help us produce strikers through our ranks and I bet all the coaching staff think the same. He’s a model professional and a top guy. I’m glad he’s one of us and proud as %^*& he’ll get to lift the trophy at the end of the season for us.

I feel old reading this, as i remember watching him over 20 years ago when he broke in to the Westham first team.

He will leave us with a winners medal and has become such a fans favourite in his short time with us.

Think he could be great on the coaching staff. Great professional and one of the most natural finishers you'll see. All round top character by all accounts.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if he got to the end of the season and fancied himself to get another year or two playing time somewhere. At his age, it's probably better to be getting game time to keep the body sharp and fit than sitting at the sidelines.

Either way, I'll be happy we were lucky enough to have him as he's done exactly what he was brought in to do.

They know nothing. Hope he stays for one more season but if he moves on for more game time then he has my best wishes.

Tremendous professional athlete and player. I believe he will show his SPFL winners medal with pride. He will always get a tremendous reception whenever he turns up at Ibrox.

'Ibrox Loyal & True' - new FB group I just made up - says he is staying and going into player / coach role. He wants to stay at Ibrox as he is going to become a godparent for Alfies kid and Alfie is staying for the CL next season. My sources are solid.

:shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :shh:

Probably guesswork from that source, but if he does go it is with everyone’s best wishes.

From Kevin Kyle, via Fran Sandaza and Joe Garner, to having one of the undoubted great forwards of the Premier League cutting around at Ibrox and doing more in 5 minutes than all of them combined is testament to the Gerrard revolution.

Plus, in him we will have a prominent fan for life and advocate in the media. A cracking signing in all aspects.

Back