Jermain Defoe grateful for Rangers goodbye chance as mum knew he'd fall in love after just 90 minutes.

GourockBlue50

Official Ticketer
Jermain Defoe's mum gets it.

Jermain Defoe grateful for Rangers goodbye chance as mum knew he'd fall in love after just 90 minutes​

Story by Andrew Newport • 2h ago

It took Jermain Defoe’s mum just 90 minutes of Old Firm action to work out why her son had fallen in love with life in Glasgow.
But the former Rangers star admits it will take far longer to get over his sudden departure from a club he had taken to his heart. It’s just over a year since Defoe called time on his three-year Gers stint, slipping out the door with barely a chance to say goodbye after a failed experiment combining playing and coaching left the veteran poacher questioning his hunger for goals and action.
A brief return to former club Sunderland followed but even in those familiar surroundings, the 40-year-old admits there was no replicating the buzz that pulling on a blue jersey could offer - a buzz that even his mum Sandra could appreciate. “My mum has come to almost every game I’ve played in and she’s been everywhere, at every club,” said Defoe.
“I remember we played here in my first Old Firm and she said to me, ‘You know what, I now know why you love it here'. She said she’d never experienced anything like it. All the games she’d come to, and I played about 800 games, and she said it was unbelievable - ‘I now understand why you love it’.
“If my mum says that, then it must be a special place. (So leaving) was difficult to be honest.
“When you go from the high that I had here, winning the league title - and 55 was arguably one of the most important titles in the club’s entire history. But after that it’s really difficult to have that feeling. I knew I was at the back end of my career but I felt like a kid again when I came to Rangers.
“I got that fire back. I’d come from Bournemouth and I got that fire back because I knew every game was important. I had to win every game. Every training session for me was important.
“And I think it’s even more because when you’re coming to the end, I think you enjoy it more as you know you’ve not got long left. That’s why I enjoyed every session, every game I played in. It was a chance to win the title and we did that so it’s of course special.”
Defoe’s final season in Scotland began with Steven Gerrard offering his old England buddy the chance to take his first steps into coaching, combining a back-room staff role with his first-team playing duties. But it ended up becoming a juggling act Defoe didn’t enjoy.
The former West Ham, Spurs and Portsmouth striker managed just nine minutes of action before Gerrard returned south to join Aston Villa in November 2021. Defoe himself called it quits at Ibrox two months after that.

Jermain Defoe grateful for Rangers goodbye chance as mum knew he'd fall in love after just 90 minutes
Jermain Defoe grateful for Rangers goodbye chance as mum knew he'd fall in love after just 90 minutes© SNS Group

Related video: Kelsea Ballerini and Chase Stokes Spotted Packing on PDA at Rangers Game (Dailymotion)

He’s previously admitted he’d “switched off” from playing by the time Gio van Bronckhorst was recruited as Gerrard’s replacement. He hoped his move to Sunderland would flick the switch back on but within eight weeks he’d chosen to retire.
He said: “I’ve always looked after my body. Even when I left I still felt sharp. Obviously the season we won the league and the last two games were against Celtic and Aberdeen.
“That physically was probably the best I’d felt during me entire time up here. The season after I got the player-coach role but no player wants to finish playing and I just still wanted to play. There’s been many players I’ve spoken to about leaving this club and they all say it’s difficult to leave here, go somewhere else and get that same feeling.”
Defoe’s departure last year was announced just four days before Rangers returned from the winter break with a 1-1 draw at Aberdeen. It was that rushed exit from the club that prompted the 57-time capped ex-England ace to return to Ibrox at the weekend for Sunday’s legends kick-about.
When the invite came from Kris Boyd, Defoe knew he couldn’t pass up the chance to bid a proper farewell. And for old time’s sake, he signed off with a trademark double in a 4-3 defeat to a World Select.
“It was really nice to be back because I don’t feel like I got a proper chance to say goodbye,” he said. I sort of left and didn’t feel like I’d got the chance to say goodbye to the fans properly.
“It just happened so quick when Gio was here. So that’s when Boydy sent me the message asking if I wanted to play in this game that I was like 100 percent!

Jermaine Defoe scores to make it 1-0
Jermaine Defoe scores to make it 1-0© SNS Group
“I’m back at Tottenham coaching with the academy so I’ve been joining in the sessions trying to get myself sharp. Everyone knows what this place means to me. I enjoyed my football here. It’s a special place to play football so to come back and play again run front these fans was amazing.
“What a turnout. I think there was about 30,000 there on Sunday for game like that, which is just crazy. You won’t find that kind of support at many clubs.
“I was just happy to be back. Did I feel like I had to come back and say goodbye? 100 percent.
“I still speak to Mick. I keep in contact with a lot of the boys, the staff here too. But I just wanted a chance to come back and say bye properly because I didn’t get that chance.
“It was tough leaving. It happens at football clubs. I’ve played at clubs and players are just gone all of a sudden. They’re there one day and the next they’re at another club.
“That’s part and parcel of the game now. But as I had so many special times here it was nice to come back and do it properly.”

JD is one of a select few who've been at the club that I still don't quite believe we've had. He got it without a shadow of a doubt, a top pro.
He's in a very distinguished list for me along side Gerrard, Ronald de Boer, Gascoigne, Laudrup etc

It was a pleasure to watch him at Rangers, even at his advanced age you could see all the traits that made him the great player he was.

A classy guy, so glad we managed to have him pull on the shirt.

One of many I’ve heard speak of finding it difficult to go from the pressure to win every game to another club where there’s not the same intensity and struggling to adjust

Honestly think we will see him back at Ibrox in some sort of coaching role. Just think what experience he could pass on to strikers.

I must admit that when he first came I was wary of it being one of Gerrard’s mates arriving to see out his days “experiencing the Old Firm atmosphere”.

Quickly became clear that there was still plenty in the tank with him though and that his enthusiasm & dedication to the game really stood out.

That this club really got under the skin of someone like Defoe is quite special.

A class act, his goal to minutes ratio was tremendous for us at that stage of his career.

Wish we could have had him a few years earlier but delighted he played for us.

Great player for us and a great role model for some of the younger guys like Aribo, Kent and Bassey
Reminiscent of Ray Wilkins' time at us in that his onfield contribution was possibly outweighed by the off field benefits of having such a great pro around the place.
The thing that surprised me was he had a wee bit of a nasty streak in him. He's very small for a professional footballer but he didn't let any of the hammer throwers off with their shit. Gave as good as he got, often with a wee bit extra added on.
Would of course loved to have had him at the club earlier but as he was on 100k+ a week it was obviously out of the question.
If only he could have defied the aging process a wee bit longer but glad of the time we had him for

Top pro, loved wee Defoe when we had him. Just a guy who loves football and a lovely guy to boot. IMO, the scope was there for a first team coaching role, he'd have been a great motivator.

Class act, if only MB can find a younger version of JD for us
I struggle to think of someone who spent not that long here yet be so universally popular & loved by the fans, that tells you all you need to know about the guy

Wouldn't go that far mind. Even super fit Defoe is not immune to father time. At 40 years of age he'd have been more valuable in a coaching role I'd say.
I think there were rumours for a while more or less saying he would be here for another year and taking up a coaching role at the end of it.

Still getting some game time and starting to coach at the same time. Made sense to me at the time but it didn't happen.

Defoe was different class for us, can only imagine what he would have been like if we had got him a few years earlier.

Even his first goal at the weekend, I’m not sure any of our current strikers have the touch to get it under control and the composure to finish

His weekend goal was sheer brilliance, very few strikers could score that goal.

His first touch was excellent, but the little dink over the goalkeeper was sublime.

He is top quality, and it was a pleasure to watch him.

As others have said. Pity he never came here earlier. Such a great player and a great influence in the dressing room. Hope he comes back as a coach some day.

Class, as expected from JD. He speaks so highly of his time with us whenever he gets a chance.

Brilliant guy and a great signing for us. Goal against Livi is up there with the best I’ve ever seen.

The look on his face when he scored against them in the 55 season OF game was brilliant, 800odd games and he can still feel like that scoring a goal, top man.

That goal from that man deserved to be scored in front of a full Ibrox. A massive disappointment from an utterly wonderful footballing season.

Back