Jim McLean: Forgotten interview reveals Dundee United legend’s 10 resignations and 14 job offers during Tannadice reign

Some tenure, however "that" interview is always the first thing that comes to mind for me personally with McLean. Some character.

Played golf with him once, as greetin faced on the golf course as a football park but quite funny with it

Decent read. Despite all of McLean’s good points, I can’t help thinking about all the youngsters he signed up on extra long contracts paying them comparative washers.

Hard to believe it’s been a year already.

Decent read. Despite all of McLean’s good points, I can’t help thinking about all the youngsters he signed up on extra long contracts paying them comparative washers.

He overdid the discipline at times, but plenty of those players went onto very good things and don't complain too much that United got their share too.

They got relegated pretty quickly after he retired and let the next manager start spending.

Yeah absolutely no doubt about his great record for a team the size of Dundee United but he did hold many youngsters down with those crazy contracts in the late 80s/early 90s.
On a side note the article said about Ferguson changing his mind at the last minute before we moved for McLean, I was only a youngster at the time but I always thought Fergie knocked us back quite quickly and it was McLean who we thought we had tied up before a last minute change of mind.

Incredible job he done there .
Especially in Europe against the very best.
Was cheated out of a European Cup Final in Rome ,with the worst case of corruption from a bent ref.
Against Roma ,after being 2-0 up from the first leg , they lost 0-3 in the return ,with a goal chopped off ,and definite penalty .Was even spat on by the cheating Italians at the end.

Disgusting

Incredible job he done there .
Especially in Europe against the very best.
Was cheated out of a European Cup Final in Rome ,with the worst case of corruption from a bent ref.
Against Roma ,after being 2-0 up from the first leg , they lost 0-3 in the return ,with a goal chopped off ,and definite penalty .Was even spat on by the cheating Italians at the end.

Disgusting

Some of the names McLean's United knocked out of Europe are unreal when you think about it

Anderlecht, Monaco, Gladbach(twice), PSV, Werder Bremen, Standard Liege, Rapid Vienna, Lens, Hajduk Split, Barcelona

They also, as you say, beat Roma at home and drew at Old Trafford against Big Ron's Man Utd.

Latest posts

Back