Jimmy Greaves

Thanks for posting, I'll look out for this, one of the greatest strikers in the game, even if he did do the damage against the Rangers.

On BT sport now a documentary about probably the greatest marksman British football has ever produced.
Brian Clough would have ran him close but for injuries.

My first Rangers game at Ibrox was b Spurs and he played and James Curran Baxter came on as a sub for us

My Gramps was at both the ECWC games v Spurs and he said Greaves was the best Centre Forward he had seen in over 30 years.
Was at the Ibrox game and what a team spurs had then with s few Scottish internationals in the team, to this day I always like to see spurs winning, also been to a few games at WHL when I stayed in London.

B-D yes it was
Although I did know he was injured and Ramsey gave Hurst his chance because of it.
My memory was playing tricks on me. I could've swore he was injured and that was the sole reason he missed the final.

My memory was playing tricks on me. I could've swore he was injured and that was the sole reason he missed the final.
It stated he was injured in the QF. But I think he was fit again for the Final but Ramsey decided to stick with Hurst and with no subs back then, Greaves had no chance of playing.

Didn't he pick up an injury in either the 1/4 or semifinal the 66 WC was the last one before substitutes were allowed
He did but he was fit for the final just wasn't picked
Older folk have told me the FA had a hand in this discussion how true that is I don't know I was to young to know the politics that goes on within the game

To put things into context Greaves was probably superior [just] to Denis Law, arguably Scotland's greatest. Incidentally there is a 15 minute Youtube video of Law including more than just goals which illustrate what a superb player he was.

To put things into context Greaves was probably superior [just] to Denis Law, arguably Scotland's greatest. Incidentally there is a 15 minute Youtube video of Law including more than just goals which illustrate what a superb player he was.
He's over head kicks was something else brilliant to watch

Older folk have told me the FA had a hand in this discussion how true that is I don't know I was to young to know the politics that goes on within the game
Greaves was injured v France and that gave Geoff Hurst his chance which he took. Ramsay stuck with Hurst for the semi and final and was vindicated. Nothing more than bad luck for Jimmy but the disappointment stayed with him till he retired and beyond.

Greaves was injured v France and that gave Geoff Hurst his chance which he took. Ramsay stuck with Hurst for the semi and final and was vindicated. Nothing more than bad luck for Jimmy but the disappointment stayed with him till he retired and beyond.
That's what was put out there for the reason but plenty have said otherwise like I say I was to young to know plus being Scottish never really cared what they was up to
But I do know how good Jimmy was & he would have been many people's first choice

That's what was put out there for the reason but plenty have said otherwise like I say I was to young to know plus being Scottish never really cared what they was up to
But I do know how good Jimmy was & he would have been many people's first choice
Even Hurst admits if Greaves had not been done by the French, he (Greaves) would have been number 1 pick along with Roger Hunt.

What was the reasoning for the FA to be against him ??

Didn’t realise just how good he was until I saw this documentary

He was a sublime finisher and made it look so easy.

Some character as well.

Don't think there's much doubt that he's No1 in that department.
Personally I wouldn't know just going by what I have been told by one or two folk
but there's a bloke who sits in the same row as me at Millwall who followed England & attended the game I will ask him tomorrow why that might be & post his reply on here
Since this thread i am well interested in finding out what went on but I think it's one of them things that depending on who you talk to is what the reason was

Back