Rangers History Jimmy Millar Rangers FC

1966101509.jpg

1966101510.jpg

1966101512.jpg

1966101511.jpg

Like his entire generation, my old man absolutely adored Jimmy Millar. Whenever we got in company who brought up the age old subject of folks' Greatest Eleven, he would choose Willie Thornton at centre forward but always end it by saying "with apologies to the great Jimmy Millar".

Jimmy Millar out of all the players I’ve seen down the line is still number one for me. What we see nowadays is normally greed first, football second. Back then from management down came pride in the Jersey, and nobody epitomised that more than JM, he gave his all for the Blue Jersey, and I always say if you cut him in two, it would be ringed, RFC, RFC, RFC. To me his finest game was where he never scored a Goal and was in the twilight of his career. The replay against the scum in the SC when Kai scored his screamer to win the cup for us. Jimmy dropped back into midfield and was our mid field General, I think his motto that night was, “Thou Shall Not Pass” and this was a very good scum team, the wealth of experience that he displayed that night still lasts to this day in my memory. No wonder players of that Era suffer from dementia, cause nine times out of ten would be heading the ball. Remember back then the ball was called a Bladder, and no wonder wet and soggy it weighed a ton, not like the light weight balls of today. Get hit with one of them on the flesh and you had the sting red marks for hours, never mind get hit in the nether region, it’s fair to say you would be side lined. Still there’s only “One Jimmy Millar, One Jimmy Millar,
One Jimmy Millar!”
What a thread. What a post! Everything it means to me to be a bear. Best post I've seen in 35 years of buying the FF magazine and website

Last edited:
Superb posts - as always MTTB
Thanks - & keep them coming

I'm in my late 60's & have an enormous love for CS
But I'm old enough to have the same for JM

I remember my cousin saying something like - JM was a battering ram & RB was the more 'cultured'
JM was a battering ram when required - but of course there was a lot more to him than that
& RB may have had a bit of culture to him - but they were both no-nonsense strikers with all the guile & ability to test any defence

The thing is - the entire team at that time was incredibly talented & when I watched the likes of the wee prime minister & Baxter feed that forward line - it was poetry in motion

We weren't shy at making the most of Ritchie's long punts up the park either
You could tell Millar & Brand were itching to get on the end of them - & frequently did

I was young at the time - & hindsight is always a wonderful thing - but I never thought then - that I'd still be raving about that team almost 60 years later - but they deserve it IMO

Just sitting here talking to my father who brought this thread to my attention he was at the game and remembers Ralph Brand running down the wing at the piggery crossing the ball to Jimmy Miller who scored in the last minute, he and his pals were standing at the back waiting for the final whistle when JM made it a fantastic day

He says great memory's and for for sharing!

WATP

Just sitting here talking to my father who brought this thread to my attention he was at the game and remembers Ralph Brand running down the wing at the piggery crossing the ball to Jimmy Miller who scored in the last minute, he and his pals were standing at the back waiting for the final whistle when JM made it a fantastic day

He says great memory's and for for sharing!

WATP
Tell your father thanks for sharing that wonderful memory! I remember it well though I was nearer halfway down the terracing though I thought there was about 20 minutes left to play, but no difference, what a goal. It was scored into the Rangers end and the terracing went ballistic. :))
This was the goal

Last edited:
Tell your father thanks for sharing that wonderful memory! I remember it well though I was nearer halfway down the terracing though I thought there was about 20 minutes left to play, but no difference, what a goal. It was scored into the Rangers end and the terracing went ballistic. :))
This was the goal
Jimmy scored in the last minute New Year’s Day 1960.
You’re correct his goal in 64 there were about 20 minutes to play.

For the later generations who did not see him and there is not a lot of video etc believe me he is in top 5 of the all time Rangers greats.

Brilliant read, took my Dad to hospitality some years ago and he met his hero Jimmy Miller and sat at our table for a bit , I had never seen my Dad like that before as he had finally met his hero from the 60's ( a bit like me if I was a table with Super I guess) anyway all they seemed to talk about was how good Jim Forrest was :))

Jimmy Miller he was one of the top five centres ever to play for Glasgow Rangers
Better than most can ever amagine
The type that you don't see very often today the type that only played for the Jersey
A real war Horse God Bless him.

Loved reading that, brought back some great memories of my early years. Absolute legend Jimmy RIP.

I'm glad you have reposted your tribute Mo, there is nobody in here who writes better posts on the great team and great players at Ibrox in the 1960s.
Thank you for the kind words DH.
I don't think I have ever done one quite so long and exhaustive on any other player, but Jimmy Millar gave us so much over the years, there was just so much to cover.
Despite all the World Class and Legendary players that the 1960's gave us, Jimmy Millar was worshipped and revered by all who were fortunate enough to have witnessed his career at Ibrox.
Jimmy Millar undoubtedly epitomised everything that is to be a Rangers Player.

Oh to have a Jimmy Millar today!

Amazing that these two were never on the Losing side in so many domestic Cup Finals.

Jimmy Millar played in 11 Finals (7 SC, 4 LC) in six years (1960-66) and never on the losing side.

Ralph Brand played in 9 Finals (4 SC, 5 LC) in four years (1960-64) and never on the losing side!
Brand also scored in 4 concecutive Scottish Cup Finals.

75a49c692d4d106a4351d0d790ef69ee.jpg

Nickname was “the Penguin “ due to way he ran iirc!
JImmy hated the nickname and as a former army boxing champion you were ill - advised to use it to his face. He had Jim Baxter by the throat when Baxter told him to stop 'flapping' as Jimmy thought Baxter was referring to his penguin - like splay - footed style of running.

JImmy hated the nickname and as a former army boxing champion you were ill - advised to use it to his face. He had Jim Baxter by the throat when Baxter told him to stop 'flapping' as Jimmy thought Baxter was referring to his penguin - like splay - footed style of running.
Word must have gotten out about his dislike of the nickname because I don't recall ever hearing it being used on the terracings or in reference to him elsewhere.

Word must have gotten out about his dislike of the nickname because I don't recall ever hearing it being used on the terracings or in reference to him elsewhere.
According to Jim Baxter's book 'The Party's Over' the name was only used occasionally by some opposing centre-halfs to wind up Jimmy. As i said in a previous post Jimmy was his regiment's middle-weight boxing champion when he was in the army so would have been able to deal with this in his own way. Had the pleasure of having my photo taken with the great man at his pub before a game at Easter Rd.

Last edited:
According to Jim Baxter's book 'The Party's Over' the name was only used occasionally by some opposing centre-halfs to wind up Jimmy. As i said in a previous post Jimmy was his battalion middle-weight boxing champion when he was in the army so would have been able to deal with this in his own way. Had the pleasure of having my photo taken with the great man at his pub before a game at Easter Rd.
Great post! :)

Great post! :)
From Dixon Blackstocks book 'More Rangers Greats'.

Jimmy was ordered off in the away game against Red Star in 1959/60. "They had a very good player called Tichy who just kept kicking me until i could stand it no more. I banjoed him and was ordered off. I was never in awe of anyone. And nobody ever scared me."

Last edited:
From Dixon Blackstocks book 'More Rangers Greats'.

Jimmy was ordered off in the away game against Red Star Belgrade in 1959/60. "They had a very good player called Tichy who just kept kicking me until i could stand it no more. I banjoed him and was ordered off. I was never in awe of anyone. And nobody ever scared me."
That is what summed Jimmy up. He was fearless and truly a warhorse! 'Banjoed him'! :))

Amazing that these two were never on the Losing side in so many domestic Cup Finals.

Jimmy Millar played in 11 Finals (7 SC, 4 LC) in six years (1960-66) and never on the losing side.

Ralph Brand played in 9 Finals (4 SC, 5 LC) in four years (1960-64) and never on the losing side!
Brand also scored in 4 concecutive Scottish Cup Finals.

75a49c692d4d106a4351d0d790ef69ee.jpg
Jimmy Millar played in 8 cup finals 5 Scottish cup and 3 league cup he missed the 63 league cup final against Morton.
He did walk like a penguin, but i never heard anyone call him anything other than the old warhorse.

Ralph Brand played in 7 cup finals 3 Scottish cup and 4 league cup.
He missed the Scottish cup final in 1960 Sammy Baird was at inside left and he was gone before the 1966 Scottish cup final.

Jimmy Millar played in 8 cup finals 5 Scottish cup and 3 league cup he missed the 63 league cup final against Morton.
He did walk like a penguin, but i never heard anyone call him anything other than the old warhorse.

Ralph Brand played in 7 cup finals 3 Scottish cup and 4 league cup.
He missed the Scottish cup final in 1960 Sammy Baird was at inside left and he was gone before the 1966 Scottish cup final.
With all due respect Sir, You are wrong.
Either that, or you don't consider Cup Final Replays as Cup Finals?

Like I said in my original post
Ralph Brand played in 9 Finals (4 SC, 5 LC) in four years (1960-64) and
never on the losing side!

Jimmy Millar

Scottish Cup Finals (7)
1960........ 2-0 v Kilmarnock
1962........2-0 v St Mirren
1963........1-1 v Celtic
replay......3-0 v Celtic
1964........3-1 v Dundee
1966........0-0 v Celtic
replay.....1-0 v Celtic

League Cup Finals (4)
1960......2-0 v Kilmarnock (60-61)
1961......1-1 v Hearts
replay....3-1 v Hearts
1964......2-1 v Celtic

Ralph Brand
Scottish Cup Finals (4)
1962........2-0 v St Mirren
1963........1-1 v Celtic
replay......3-0 v Celtic
1964........3-1 v Dundee
Brand scored in all 4 Finals (5 Goals).

League Cup Finals (5)
1960......2-0 v Kilmarnock (60-61)
1961......1-1 v Hearts
replay....3-1 v Hearts
1963.......5-0 v Morton
1964.......2-1 v Celtic

A remarkable record, when you consider that Scot Symon never won a domestic Cup Final in his first six years in charge, then won 9 of a possible 13 Cups in the next six years (1960-66).

Back