Joachim Bjorklund

He was a very good defender.
However, for me, injury robbed McLaren of an opportunity to become a great.
I said, when he signed, he could be a more important signing than Laudrup was that season.
I expected him to replace Gough as captain in the fullness of time.
In saying all that, in a McLaren thread not too long ago, there were plenty who didn’t hold my view.
All things being equal, that being if McLaren remained free of serious injury he would have become a Rangers legend,imho

Was one of my favourite players ever. Reason for me posting thread is I never read anything about him leaving when he did. Reasons etc. It was a massive shock. If his time with us had been longer be would have been a Rangers Legend for all the fans. Not just me.
He was an average player for us, did a decent job without being outstanding but he would never have reached legendary status

Used to go into school on a Monday see a Bear teacher and he would always refer to "thon boy Bjorklund".

My memories of him are seeing him get a nosebleed if he ever got into the opposition half. Didnt he almost end up through on goal at Parkhead once?!

Was one of my favourite players ever. Reason for me posting thread is I never read anything about him leaving when he did. Reasons etc. It was a massive shock. If his time with us had been longer be would have been a Rangers Legend for all the fans. Not just me.
We couldn't afjord his wages.

Absolutely brutal on the ball and I believe never ever scored a goal.

Legend my arse.

I wasn't to keen on him tbh . I was at rugby park when him and the Goalie made an arse of , think goram was running out and bjorklund headed the ball past him , Paul Wright tapped it in. Thern scored our equaliser in a 1-1 draw.

All Rangers legends have been able to pass a ball B-DJocky had terrific pace, could tackle and win a ball but his distribution was up there with Niko Katic
Katic wouldn’t be able to lace Bjorklunds wifes trainers never mind his boots.

Bjorklund is up there with anyone we had since !

I wasn't to keen on him tbh . I was at rugby park when him and the Goalie made an arse of , think goram was running out and bjorklund headed the ball past him , Paul Wright tapped it in. Thern scored our equaliser in a 1-1 draw.
One of my first away games. Thought I was going to outer space in the car down, turns out I was.

Wheres the blonde mullet, moustachioed guy saying, "what the f***" when you need him ?

Bjorklund played a total of 361 games over the course of his career, he scored 1 goal (for Valencia), here it is at 2:10
The way he put it away makes you wonder how he never managed more goals like that.
I seem to have a flashing memory of him making an incredibly run upfield and scoring for us. Can't find it anywhere though.

Katic wouldn’t be able to lace Bjorklunds wifes trainers never mind his boots.

Bjorklund is up there with anyone we had since !
Oooft statement and a half, better than the likes of Moore, Amo, Boumsong, Weir, Cuellar, Bougherra and quite a few more since. My initial post was regards to his passing/distribution ability fwiw.

Oooft statement and a half, better than the likes of Moore, Amo, Boumsong, Weir, Cuellar, Bougherra and quite a few more since. My initial post was regards to his passing/distribution ability fwiw.
I’d say the rest of his career would say that yeah?

Nah I agree with you regards his distribution, didn’t mean it to come across like a prick !

No need for a memory check, you're right. One of the worst technical footballers we've ever had. Obviously very quick and disciplined but when he actually got on the ball he gave the absolute fear.

It's nice that not everyone's favourites are Laudrup, McCoist etc but I am slightly perplexed this is the OP's hero! :) Maybe there's someone out there who's favourite Ranger is Neil Murray or Stalle Stensaas.
Paul Ritchie for me, what a servant to the club he was.

I’d say the rest of his career would say that yeah?

Nah I agree with you regards his distribution, didn’t mean it to come across like a prick !
No offence taken mate, all about options, Jocky wasn't the worst by any stretch, is Helander had his pace what a player he would have been for us when fit

Think he played in top league in England, Italy, Spain and Scotland. Not sure if many have done that

I liked him but would maybe struggle in the modern game

A guy who played in a back four(and was a perfectly good and fast centre half at that) all his career who was signed to play in a back three and carry the ball out of defence.

God, I loved the hubris of the fúcking 90's

He was absolutely dreadful in the air, a Smurf would have outjumped him in the air and won the header.
Part of a disastrous attempt to play 3 at the back.
Very quick and good on the ground defensively.
Mixed bag is my assessment

Never a favourite of mine.
He was rapid, but absolutely honking on the ball.

Do any of those saying he was outstanding and or their favourite player mix him up with Richard Gough and did they actually watch him in the flesh?
He looked absolutely terrified on the ball and couldn’t wait to get rid of it.

Only memory of him is that he looked like a guy who was year above me in school who "wasn't quite right".

Always assumed he was pretty poor though.

No need for a memory check, you're right. One of the worst technical footballers we've ever had. Obviously very quick and disciplined but when he actually got on the ball he gave the absolute fear.

It's nice that not everyone's favourites are Laudrup, McCoist etc but I am slightly perplexed this is the OP's hero! :) Maybe there's someone out there who's favourite Ranger is Neil Murray or Stalle Stensaas.
Or Billy Urquahart or Ally Scott
Anybody remember a Scottish Cup tie played at Easter Road in a midweek match in the afternoon due to the miners strike I think??
No floodlights anyway

Back