Joe Aribo’s Passing and Shooting

I don’t like him in midfield, I don’t think he does the simple things we’ll enough and consistently enough to play that position. Prefer him in the front three where poor decision making is more forgiving and he can use his skills higher up to unlock packed defences.

He’s my favourite player at Ibrox but his inability to use his right foot is worrying. Surely they are working on that in training

How many top teams play with two attacking midfielders and one more defensive minded? When they set up 4-3-3

How many top teams have no idea how to play a 3 at the back or two upfront to adapt to any opposition or game?

There is a pretty obvious to see stubborn, negative setup that doesn't suit a big club having to manage games that every week are far beyond regular time wasting and low blocks.

Being able to shake up the tactics and having midfielders who can drive or shoot would absolutely improve our performances and results.

How many top teams have no idea how to play a 3 at the back or two upfront to adapt to any opposition or game?

There is a pretty obvious to see stubborn, negative setup that doesn't suit a big club having to manage games that every week are far beyond regular time wasting and low blocks.

Being able to shake up the tactics and having midfielders who can drive or shoot would absolutely improve our performances and results.
Your right we have one formation and we’re so predictable, but playing a 433 requires two proper midfielders,

Doesn't provide enough goals or assists.

Nice on the ball when the going is good, when we need to dig in like today, I'm not sure.

This is because half his game is brilliant and the other half is schoolboy
This was ultimately my point.

His dribbling, touch and close control in tight areas are literally exceptional.

Where as his passing and shooting are at the total other end of the scale. It’s a poor standard.

He takes too many touches. But he'll get there. As will we.

Would rather that today than what everyone expected happened - we win and they win.

Roll on Wednesday and get a win in the system.

He broke into the team with such ease I think we overlooked how young he was. He undoubtedly has talent, but also has areas on his game need improving. If he was the full package we'd likely not have him.

Baccuna and Hagi should put pressure on him for a starting spot, so we will see how he reacts

How many top teams play with two attacking midfielders and one more defensive minded? When they set up 4-3-3

How many play in a league where the opposition rarely attempt to compete for midfield control?

I mean its fair to say the 2 DM's are key to allowing fullbacks to push so high.

But it does limit how effective we are when there comes an opportunity to break from middle of park or break the lines when the entire midfield play in front of the opposition defence and never look to penetrate.

He broke into the team with such ease I think we overlooked how young he was. He undoubtedly has talent, but also has areas on his game need improving. If he was the full package we'd likely not have him.

Baccuna and Hagi should put pressure on him for a starting spot, so we will see how he reacts
He was 23 when he signed hardly a kid.

Your right we have one formation and we’re so predictable, but playing a 433 requires two proper midfielders,

Definitely don't want us ever resorting to Rogic and Turnbull levels of midfield security but no box to box midfielder nailing down a place is another symptom of the predictable coaching/lineup.

Hopefully Bacuna can change that as we've needed someone like him in that first 11 for games like today from the off, not at 75 minutes when 75% of the time it's going to be too late for the subs to do much.

Definitely don't want us ever resorting to Rogic and Turnbull levels of midfield security but no box to box midfielder nailing down a place is another symptom of the predictable coaching/lineup.

Hopefully Bacuna can change that as we've needed someone like him in that first 11 for games like today from the off, not at 75 minutes when 75% of the time it's going to be too late for the subs to do much.
I thought we were at our best with kamara Davis and then jack started to become more of an aggressive box to box player

Then that isn't good enough as he's supposed to be far better in those attributes for the positions that he plays.

A number of times today he tried walking the ball into the net when there was a pass on in the 6y box. Hell, smash it across the face of the goal at least. The fans were going mental at him on more than one occasion and it was deserved too.

I’d argue he is far better than the other two at shooting, in general. Not today sadly.

Our midfield hasn't defended well nor offered much going forward all season. Stop little and create far less.

I was referring to their respective shooting ability but tbh didn’t think any of them played well.
They all had shots today, particularly Davis, but they were all wild. Kamara had one that ended up a pass to Tav wide right. In fairness, Aribo had one late on that looked to be headed for a goal until it hit an offside Alfie on the arse.

Last edited:
Our strikers should have the freedom to have a shot .When watching you see the opportunities, but we are sighted differently,as from a distance.. Surely they must have instructions to shoot.Very frustrating.

None of our midfield look capable of shooting. It’s been said over and over we need a creative goal scorer in midfield, when the strikers aren’t scoring someone else needs to chip in.
Which is baffling as our manager was the best in the business for doing so.

He poses a goal threat from midfield, probably our only one. Kamara cannot shoot at all and Davis is wayward most of the time with his shots

I wish he’d add a bit of weight and directness to his passing. The amount of times he brings the ball down or gets himself out of a tight spot to then send a ball short or under hit is brutal.

Always looking for that extra touch or pass in and around the box too.

Brilliant player if his brain was as quick as his feet he would be picking his club to play for. He needs to get more consistent quickly.

The whole midfield need a fckn rocket up there @rses the amount of miss placed basic passes is unbelievable.. its 1 area that needs changed asap.. to much favouritism for me..

Lovely touch, a wonderful dribbler but Joe’s passing and shooting technique is poor and by god it contributes to a breakdown of moves in attack.

I like him, I want him to do well but these key parts of the game, he falls short.

He is capable of a good curling shot every so often but this type of shot isn’t always required, sometimes you need to inject pace and power into the shot.

Same with the pass, too often it’s scuffed and underhit.
To be fair he was denied a winner today by Morelos deflecting his strike.

He's not a midfielder. He's an inside forward or he's a number 10. Aribo isnt a midfielder and shouldn't be playing as a midfielder.

Fannys about too much at times, his close control is outstanding but theres a timidness to his game, he needs to learn to be more direct with the skills he's got.

Quite a weird thread. Most of our attack went through him today as he dropped into the pocket between midfield and the front 3 all game picking up the ball. Assisted the goal with a great flick on (something Arfield should have done in the 2nd half). Put it on a plate for Roofe who should have buried it and Morelos prevented him scoring late in the game.

He’s been by far our best midfielder so far this season.

I would argue we don’t need two “controlling” midfielders in a home game v Motherwell.

The reason we play with two is to allow our fullbacks to bomb on though.

In saying that Barisic has absolutely no pace so the term ‘bomb on’ doesn’t really apply to him.

Lovely touch, a wonderful dribbler but Joe’s passing and shooting technique is poor and by god it contributes to a breakdown of moves in attack.

I like him, I want him to do well but these key parts of the game, he falls short.

He is capable of a good curling shot every so often but this type of shot isn’t always required, sometimes you need to inject pace and power into the shot.

Same with the pass, too often it’s scuffed and underhit.

We are badly needing Hagi back in the team. He’s the one player that can really link midfield and attack. Picks out some really killer passes and not afraid to shoot.

He's the most gifted player in the league.
And a joy too watch play football .

Imo .

When we are 5 nil up I agree but when he is needed he goes missing. Sorry but good players grab the game by the scruff of the neck and force the issue when the game is in the balance.
The lad has an unbelievable first touch and is a good player but doesn’t have the desire to be a really good player at the top level. I just don’t think he has the personality and heart to drag his team through games.
The Lyon game showed all his faults for me, the French we’re fast, skillful, aggressive and hard working and they over ran him time and again.
He plays every game like it’s a training session.
At the top level that is not enough and we all know every game we play is the other teams cup final so we have to match that.

This is his third season at the club and the hard facts are that he isn’t guaranteed to be a starter when everyone is fit.

We all know he has great skill, but I think we’re beginning to accept that he’s never going to produce anything more than he’s given us to date - flashes of brilliance, the odd cracking goal, but lots of games where he’s ineffective or anonymous.

If you could hand pick two people to coach this into him it would be Gerrard and Gary Mac, midfielders known for killer passes and odd goal, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Had hopes of him being a top player for us but slowly realising that he is missing the sharpness that would make him a top player.

He wants far to much time on the ball constantly.

He had a shocker yesterday, but all players do, however to suggest he cannot shoot, when he has given us some of the most spectacular goals of recent seasons is clearly nonsense.

Could he raise his game by being more consistent with his end product, of course, but that applies to every player that earns a living in the game. Most of our good first half play went through him our abysmal 2nd half was at least in part due to him not maintaining his form through the 90 mins.

I’ve been hoping since he arrived that training with us would add all the missing links to his game but he’s still the same cage baller that arrived. I’d personally prefer someone like swift from reading to aribo.

Joe Aribo has not improved since his Charlton days.
He is a big unit but drops out of games regularly.
Rangers need to cash in on him in the January window.
Joe spends a lot of his days off in London, so he may be missing that scene.

Fannys about too much at times, his close control is outstanding but theres a timidness to his game, he needs to learn to be more direct with the skills he's got.

He needs to develop an aggression to his game. Not an aggression as to flying in to tackles, but an aggression to hurt the opposition.

But he's 25 now, been at the club for a few years and hasn't ever looked like that is something in his game that is developing. He'd be one I wouldnt mind seeing moved on and replaced with perhaps someone less 'talented', but with a better mentality.

Back