Joe Aribo tonight

As the guy beside me said when they announced the MOTM, it should have been a roll over, the fact it went to the “best” man on the park who was a 7 out of ten tops says it all really.

He slid more tonight than I’ve seen the clowns on dancing on ice do.

Thought that was a brilliant performance from him tonight. Some of his play was great to watch.

If only he had a little bit more confidence to take a pop as he gets into positions then looks for a pass.
Without seeming like a misery there was not a lot of end product. It's all well and good dancing around the ball outside the box or on the touchline but the one time he was breaking forward with no opposition on him just before coming off he couldn't find a pass to a blue shirt.

Played well in what was a difficult game tonight.

I have to say hes looked so much more stronger in the ball than when he first came. Long may it continue.

He was good tonight. I really like him. He hasn’t hit full stride yet but there’s something about him where you just know he’s a great footballer.

Without seeming like a misery there was not a lot of end product. It's all well and good dancing around the ball outside the box or on the touchline but the one time he was breaking forward with no opposition on him just before coming off he couldn't find a pass to a blue shirt.
Agreed - couple times he had an opportunity to drive towards the box, but ended up cutting it back. Quite frustrating.

He is only going to get better as his confidence rises, pleased for him as seems really decent guy.

I'll still not totally convinced, he needs to add the final product, but I think if he gets his head down Gerard will make him a player, like Jack and barrasic

Thought he was decent tonight. He is so much better when he is more direct though. The run in the second half when he went at the full back just before he was subbed was excellent. If he could add that to his game more consistently as well as having a shot from outside the box he would become a top player

More to come from Aribo as he grows in confidence. Cracking player a real find. He has an amazing first touch, quite remarkable the quality he has. Gerrard and his team are improving the lad definately more to come

remember took Jack a couple of seasons, took Barasic a god while, Aribo has loads of time and really look forward to see how good he can become.

Not doing enough for me, it’s all there for the boy but needs to be more aggressive. Hopefully it’ll come because he will be some player if it does.

Big fan of Aribo but he is so frustrating. It's like he doesn't get how good he is and is scared to run at defenders. Needs Kent's directness

His first touch and close control are excellent, I just think his finishing and end product could be better. As others have said, hopefully in time these will come.

Looking forward to @Necro's contribution to this thread after suggesting he'd have a stinker because Flanagan was playing right back.
The amount of people absolutely seething at me for not rating Flanagan is astounding in all honesty.

Aribo's success in that position can largely be put down to his ability to link with Tav, I thought he'd suffer without that.

Without being a smartarse with hinsight, what was unreasonable?

I genuinely feel that Joe struggles a bit against that type of set up and gets frustrated too easily.

Once he has the experience of a full season of it I expect him to kick on again.

I thought he was decent tonight, had some excellent touches at times and looked pretty strong on the ball.

Not a lot of competition for MoM tonight, so probably fair that he got it.

Just feel like he needs to be a little quicker with the ball in the final 3rd and get a few more shots off but the transformation from the player at the start of the year to now has been really good to see. The benefit of finding someone’s position!

Thought that was a brilliant performance from him tonight. Some of his play was great to watch.

If only he had a little bit more confidence to take a pop as he gets into positions then looks for a pass.

I’d agree. When he first came in, one of the refreshing things about him was how willing he was to take a shot. He seems to be spending too long waiting for a pass these days, as do many of our forwards.

Hope he gets back to his old ways.

I must have been watching a different guy.

End product was as bad as everyone else.
Great movement right enough.

He is so good on the ball. As you say, needs to add more goals, then he will be top dollar.

Great skill but not enough end product. Never really a threat to the opposition goal.

He just needs to add that but of arrogance & say I’m going to finish this. The talents all there it’s just about aspiring to & believing in his greatness & he’s gonna be a star imo.

Back