Joe Newell - Hibs

I'm sorry but he's been genuinely terrible for Hibs - their fans absolutely loathe him.

I'll admit I do play Football Manager.

And O.P, you're one of those scouts that when I join a club and look at their suggestions, I fire instantly.

‘Hi boss I have two players i think we should sign for Rangers, a 38 year old Falkirk player and some boy called Mbapae’

Imagine Rangers announcing him tomorrow

They'd be a meltdown

Not for me, better than alot of dross in this league tbf however not close to being a rangers player

Was chatting to a Hibs fan in my work about him last week - he doesn't rate him at all - neat and tidy but no consistent end product.

Surely if you watched the Hibs v sheep game you’d rather go for the player who scored a hat-trick and had two assists?!?!
Not saying we should sign Josh Campbell but surely he’d stand out more than a guy who took two corners!!!

I'm not having a go, I'm genuinely curious - how often have you noticed him in other games?

He's been at Hibs since 2019 and played over 100 games for them. Is he a player you've had an eye on for a while as such?
If hes been there a few years then thats plenty of time for the op to have watched him, he is a good footballer not that id disagree with your view he wont be signing at that age.

Can i ask you do people on the transfer thread have to explain how often they have watched some guy from the lower leagues in France, or a league similar to ours like Sweden or Denmark, before they comment on possible signings or players that have fascinating stats ?

Surely if you watched the Hibs v sheep game you’d rather go for the player who scored a hat-trick and had two assists?!?!
Not saying we should sign Josh Campbell but surely he’d stand out more than a guy who took two corners!!!
I knew he was getting good reviews, even v Aberdeen that is some going doubt he will playing for that mob much longer.

OP understands football and can see quality players, also doesn’t have this lower team snobbery
If he was in his very early 20s absolutely but he’s on the wrong end of that now with no resale value or scope for development, we’d more than likely sign him and see his decline

It must have been last season when I noticed his good form and (along with at least one other poster) suggested that he was a player we kept an eye on.

However, having kept half an eye on him, his form plummeted through the floor.

In his top form, certainly worth looking at -- but then again you could say that about almost any SPFL player.
Nowadays ... no thanks

He's one of the most pretentious players in the SPFL. Thinks he's Riquelme because he can play a basic cross field pass. Hate him.

If hes been there a few years then thats plenty of time for the op to have watched him, he is a good footballer not that id disagree with your view he wont be signing at that age.

Can i ask you do people on the transfer thread have to explain how often they have watched some guy from the lower leagues in France, or a league similar to ours like Sweden or Denmark, before they comment on possible signings or players that have fascinating stats ?

I know you enjoy having a go at me, but my question was purely down to the wording of the OP.

It sounded like the judgement was based upon the highlights of the game yesterday alone. I was just curious given how long Newell has been here.

Watched the highlights of them battering the sheep (yes I know) but he is a very tidy player. Set up 2 goals with quality technique. Was impressed with his quality against us, with better players around him I think he’d be a great addition to the squad, very creative midfielder
Pretty good at faking injuries trying to get a penalty, ask Ianis Hagi.

"Newell admits he doesn't know if there was contact from the Romanian winger, but the Hibs midfielder believes it would have been a foul if it wasn't in the box."

"Doesn't know if there was contact" ?
You know when you've been kicked in the head, ask thh St Johnstone defender Brown whose own player caught him on the head last weekend.

1) He's a dirty sleekit bastard.

2) He's a wee diving rat.

3) He's in the form of his life atm and is spending it in a rank rotten Hibs team for a reason.

He has flashes of skill and undoubtedly is strong technically, but he's not even close to what we need. This isn't lower team snobbery (see my posts on Phillips of StJ, and Kamara while at Dundee).

Full name ‘Joseph Peter Newell’.

mqdefault.jpg

Crying out loud. Did he play well against an aberdoom team who had downed tools. He is no better than what we have. Need to get players who will improve the team.

Back