John Beaton

I’m going to attempt to defend him here. The guy isn’t a professional ref, he has a job and has to make a living. The media hounds him and others who make a human error in our games that might advantage us. He might have clients etc to keep onside and back page headlines with “cheating Beaton “ it can’t not affect him. Beaton knew missing that penalty for Rangers wouldn’t have any negative press but do that against them will.

We need professional referees and for SFA to start defending refs against the bias media.

I quite liked the fact that John Beaton was issuing plenty of cards against Livingston. It minimised the thuggery we're subjected to in many games and was closer to the 'European' model than most SPFL games.

However, Beaton was hounded by the media after the 1-0 game at Ibrox, when they relentlessly replayed in slow-motion minor incidents involving Alfie, and he seems to be 'primed' to punish Rangers players as a result.

On Wednesday it was testament to our discipline (Alfie in particular) that there were little or no opportunities for him to issue cards to us...yet he still managed to book Alfie for being fouled for a penalty and red-card our manager for querying that decision.

The general rule still appears to be to 'if in doubt, decide against Rangers' and if the refs miss one the SFA will get them later.

Here's the game I'm talking about. He books Alfie for diving, ignores a blatant Killie dive, ignores a handball in the build up to their equaliser and then chops off a goal for us for the softest of free kicks.

I don't want him reffing another Rangers game and I'm pretty sure Gerrard doesn't either.
Is this the Game, Brophy admits to diving on Clyde SSB, and was never called in by the Compliance Officer (Surprise)

jDAgghU.gif
Funny, And true. :)

Biggest problem is, if you're perceived to be biased for a team - then you're more likely to find people subconsciously going tougher.

There is no doubt, that after OF games, Madden and Beaton in particular have taken a lot more grief - typically cause we've had results in them. Cheating - not for me. Subconscious - I think so

Amidst the debate of whether Scottish refs are either cheats or incompetent I think there’s also a slightly different angle to it where a few of them are simply egotists.

They’re the ones who want to be centre of attention that make contentious flashpoint decisions to ensure all eyes are on them.

Beaton has always struck me as that sort.

Last edited:
He was so bad his booking of MacGregor for timewasting whilst we were making a substitution has went right under the radar. He is utterly clueless and should be nowhere near a football pitch.
Also the free kick on the stroke of half time in a very dangerous position. This would always be played out then call half time. WTAF.

Refs in Scotland are worth a 9-16 point swing for them.

If the refs hadnt wet the bed in their matches at Hamilton away, Killie away and Aberdeen home, we'd have won the title last month! And thats before we consider the dropped points at Hibs with a foul of a goal...

Are we going to have to put up with this cheating shítebag for another ten years or so, because, the scum went in heavy on him after we beat them fair & square.

He's hopeless, but he's more hopeless when refereeing Rangers, ergo he's a cheat.

He'll never get served in our pub again!

Back