John Brown's testimonial in 2001

It's often forgotten that the Jambos agreed a fee for Bomber, and wages, and the rest...

...then he failed the medical.

So he was battling through the pain barrier for Dundee, then he came to Ibrox and damaged himself more and more for almost a decade.

Bomber was a half-crippled £300k signing. My feeling is that Alex McDonald wouldn't have allowed that deal to be written off unless something was seriously wrong, so was the Rangers medical a case of Phil Boersma checking his motor wasn't one of those blue three-wheelers? Interested to find out why he passed our medical. (Although I should note that Douglas Bader would've passed an 80s/90s Rangers medical!)

He learned his skills at Douglas Park in front of that auld doolally bastard Fergie and another half dozen punters. Then it was off to Dens where he polished off his style of play and became a guy who was as hard/mental/switched-on as Souness, and who made up for his lesser midfield genius by being able to play centre-mid, left-mid, left-back and centre-half, being considerably better in the air, and being far more clever when brutalising his opponents.

Look at the list of replacements for him (excluding the top one, who kicked off the whole Bomber at centre-half thing).

1990 - Butcher - "Sod the huffy big wank, ah'll dae it!"
1990 - Kuznetsov - "This is how you play when you've had injury problems"
1990 - Reid - "Same as Oleg - there's the door, son."
1992 - McPherson - "Haud on, I play there, you piss off and play right-back!"
1994 - Pressley - "Go play wi' some diddy mobs. You'll find your level some day."
1994 - Boli - "Basil Bawbag, stick year medal up yer arse, ya cheat, and piss off!"
1994 - McLaren - "Fine player, lucky either him or Gough are out injured every week."
1994 - Bollan - "I'd leave by the big gates at the side. You might be too fat for the door."
1995 - Petric - "Plays against the shite while I get a new leg fitted to be ready for the piggery."
(Craig Moore was also there, but wasn't considered seriously as a centre-half until his second spell)

Only McLaren was good enough to join Gough in the middle, in front of Bomber, and by then he was playing with so much wrong with him that anyone in the know must've been fearing another Alan McGraw type of situation in the years to come.

Better than Greig?

Better than ALL of them.

The number one Rangers man of my generation. An inspiration to his team-mates as a player, and an inspiration to the fans in the club's darkest hour.

Hero.

Yeah, I agree.

What I meant was we got him for a bargain in amongst the high profile signings. He really was a surprise in terms of how he was able to take his performances to a higher level than probably what most people expected. He flourished amongst better players playing in a jersey that many find too heavy for them.

A hidden gem who was right under our noses.
It wasn't much of a surprise considering we couldn't deal with him before he signed and everyone inside our dressing room at the time was delighted that he'd signed for us. The only other player I can think of who the players were relieved we signed was Duncan Ferguson.

1990 - Butcher - "Sod the huffy big wank, ah'll dae it!"
1990 - Kuznetsov - "This is how you play when you've had injury problems"
1990 - Reid - "Same as Oleg - there's the door, son."
1992 - McPherson - "Haud on, I play there, you piss off and play right-back!"
1994 - Pressley - "Go play wi' some diddy mobs. You'll find your level some day."
1994 - Boli - "Basil Bawbag, stick year medal up yer arse, ya cheat, and piss off!"
1994 - McLaren - "Fine player, lucky either him or Gough are out injured every week."
1994 - Bollan - "I'd leave by the big gates at the side. You might be too fat for the door."
1995 - Petric - "Plays against the shite while I get a new leg fitted to be ready for the piggery."
(Craig Moore was also there, but wasn't considered seriously as a centre-half until his second spell)
This is brilliant. I could never take Pressley seriously as a Rangers centre half. Hearts and Coventry were very much his level, despite his high opinion of himself

Back