John Fleck

With the quality we had at the time it was always going to be difficult for Fleck to get in to the first team regularly. He still played over 50 matches for us.

It's taken him a few years but now he's living up to his potential.

Don't know if I would go to Arsenal if I was him but £20 million appears a steal going by what that gets you down south just now.

Liked the fact that Fleck rose from the Youth Academy into the first team, I was always a fan of his uncle Robert, who came onto his own playing under Souness.

Given the amount of shite being bought in that league (look no further than Tierney for £25 million) than Fleck at £20 million is a damn good purchase

I hope his career continues on its current trajectory, the boy has worked hard for it and Sheffield United seem like a well run club

Wrong time for the young Fleck to come through the ranks, shame after the headlines to get him his debut NBM and every pundit building him up to be the next superstar

I wish him every success. It's a shame it didn't work out for him here, but he seems to be turning into a decent player.

Liked the fact that Fleck rose from the Youth Academy into the first team, I was always a fan of his uncle Robert, who came onto his own playing under Souness.
Always liked bobby fleck- but what about those blond highlights.
Think souness wanted better.
Thing is imo.
Drinkell was similar in build and as foil for ally.
But not as fast- maybe it was the fags

anytime you see him he puts in a good performance he got dropped at the start of the season and hes came back in and been tremendous.Always good to see an ex player doing really well.Mind before he got in our 1st team he was called the scottish rooney

It's taken him a few years and different clubs to turn into the fine player he is now. I doubt our support would ever grant someone that time to develop. Youngsters coming into the team need to hit the ground running and stay there ala Barry or Alan Hutton.

Always great to see one of our own impress. Just a pity it's not with us, though. The "Scottish Rooney" talk was unfair pressure on the lad. Least he's done better than Stevie "Baggio" Fulton.

Massive potential wasted at the time by our management

I cannot help but agree with this. Fleck had real talent that was never harnessed at the time of his emergence. Granted we were winning and places were earned, but I always think we should have done better by him.

I cannot help but agree with this. Fleck had real talent that was never harnessed at the time of his emergence. Granted we were winning and places were earned, but I always think we should have done better by him.

Our midfielders at the time were Ferguson, Davis, Thomson, Mendes, Adam, Edu and Hemdani.

Smith was often guilty of erring on the side of caution and tended to opt for experience (hence why McCulloch got a start before him), but in truth Fleck never really did enough in the opportunities he did have to convince he was worthy of regular inclusion.

I’m delighted that he’s finally realising his potential now though.

Good to see him doing well.

His problem at Rangers was we all expected him to be Ryan Kent. He's clearly not that type of player.

Good to see him doing well.

His problem at Rangers was we all expected him to be Ryan Kent. He's clearly not that type of player.
Spot on, he was solid but never flashy when he got his limited starts for us. Its much easier for a young winger/ forward to come in and catch attention.
Some players just find a team/coach who play in a way that really fits their game. I think fleck has that just now, similar to when Charlie adam went to blackpool or even Mcginn to villa.

With the quality we had at the time it was always going to be difficult for Fleck to get in to the first team regularly. He still played over 50 matches for us.

It's taken him a few years but now he's living up to his potential.

Don't know if I would go to Arsenal if I was him but £20 million appears a steal going by what that gets you down south just now.

Why would you not want to go to Arsenal from Sheffield Utd?

Should be a scotland regular and have a pile of caps in coming years but you know he probably wont get that many.Worked hard to get where he is now and is performing well in one of the best leagues in the world.Imagine he will kick on and have a great career in premiership.

Sometimes players getting let go is the making of them. He had to grow up and find his best position at Coventry which has played a key role to where he is now. I’d say I’m more disappointed that we didn’t bring him back when his contract ran out at Coventry.

Good luck to the Fleck, he's worked hard down south to get where he is.
I seem to remember his first goal for us was a penalty?

Our midfield at the time was too strong for him to get much game time and he didn't show enough when he did feature. Leaving Glasgow was the best thing for his development. Fair play to the boy for making a name for himself. A lot of players disappear into nothingness when they leave us.

How do we let these guys flourish at Rangers, clearly we have talent coming through, but we need to let that talent develop where we see the benefit on the park and as sell on fees.

I think a lot is down to him maturing and having the experience to know what’s what. Also a major factor is him being played in a position that suits him, something we never seen at rangers.

I think in hindsight maybe we had earmarked for the wrong position. He had him either wide left or attacking centre mid, but he seems to be thriving in a deeper role for Sheff Utd.

I think the Rooney comparison was more about age of when he was breaking through and his build. I remember him being quite stocky compared with other 15/16 year olds.

Back