John Greig - 75 Today

I am lucky enough to have started watching Rangers in the days of Jim Baxter, Davy Wilson, Jimmy Millar and the like - but John Greig was the player I most admired, for his "never say die" attitude. A game was never deemed lost while he was on the park. No surrender, indeed.

Everyone talks of John Greig the hardman, the leader, the never say die warror. He was all of those, and brilliant at them, but firstly he was a bloody good footballer.
Capped by his country as a right back, a centre back, a left back and a midfielder. 120 goals for Rangers (more than Mark Hateley). A key man in 3 treble winning teams.

There are many worthy candidates from our magnificent past to sit at the very top table. John Greig is beyond debate as to having a place there.

My boyhood hero, and I feel privileged to have idolised him.
I can only agree again with DH1963. John Greig carried the team on a number of occasions throughout the years. A fantastic goal scoring record too. We have been lucky to have so many great captains and players. John Greig certainly is of the Rangers greats.

My Dad often tells me about him. He mainly talks about how he wouldn't tolerate some of the shite performances that we see and how he would be grabbing players by the scruff of the neck to demand more. Watching the tackle on candeias the other day as well, my old man said Greig would've put the offending lady's front bottom 6 feet in the air. Happy birthday

The referee blowing the final whistle, v Motherwell in 1978 to clinch the league, just as John Greig had the ball at the Rangers end, was one of the most app moments in football.

Happy Birthday Sir.

Happy birthday Mr Greig, the greatest Ranger ever. I have very fond memories of watching him as a youngster and seeing what it really mean't for someone to play for the club he loved.

Happy birthday Mr Greig, never met the man personally but my nephew installed a tv and surround sound system at his house about 8 years ago, said he was an absolute gent, gave him 2 photos from the 72 final and autographed them for him with best wishes messages, one for him and one for my brother

meet John when I was 10 in Newton Mearns total gentleman and signed our balls happy birthday Sir you will always be a legend.

I'll never forget your tap in down the Broomloan Rd end and the scum then doing what scum do ... LOL

Many happy returns, John. An honour to have watched you captain our great club.

Started it and finished it.
Was in the Main Stand with my dad.

Here's to your health Mr Greig, many happy returns.

When you see so many of his former adversaries and team mates struggling with ill health it's a testament to the man that he looks like he could still be pulling on the famous blue jersey

A man you can comfortably call a legend!! A title that gets dished out to easy these days

Back