John Lundstram thinks they’ve let everyone down

Couldn't be prouder of that team for how far they managed to go - we will see Rangers lift a European trophy in our lifetime, last night was just a taster.

Far from it, the odds were stacked against them to get that far! They made us proud and now we must keep it up. I doubt many teams will fancy coming to Ibrox in the champions league or at worst europa lleague again

They all clearly left it all out there.

We got so close. I can’t shake constant though of ‘if only’ feeling.
All ifs buts and maybes today.

If only kent scored, if only Ramsey went higher. Maybe goldson should have done better. Time will heal but a cup on Saturday will help now

You've not let this bear down John. You and the boys made us dream again and were 1 penalty away from making it a reality!

Wont be too long before we're in another European final again.

Big John certainly didn't let anyone down. Neither did Bassey.

The manager and the rest did though and to be honest - they should be sorry.
Honestly. Away to f*ck with this. How did Gio let us down exactly? Got us much further than Gerrard would and with a team missing a recognised striker in the semi final and taking it all the way to the last kick of the ball in the final.

Every last player will be absolutely devastated, but they let no one down. If they hadn’t tried a leg or looked disinterested, maybe your point would stand. That was a team that is running on fumes and with several key, quality players out. Sick of reading stuff like this today.

Not a chance. Not one of them let us down last night, could we have played better? Absolutely but it doesn't always work that way. Sometimes it just doesn't come off.

I'm proud of each and every one of them. Legends to a man.

Honestly. Away to f*ck with this. How did Gio let us down exactly? Got us much further than Gerrard would and with a team missing a recognised striker in the semi final and taking it all the way to the last kick of the ball in the final.

Every last player will be absolutely devastated, but they let no one down. If they hadn’t tried a leg or looked disinterested, maybe your point would stand. That was a team that is running on fumes and with several key, quality players out. Sick of reading stuff like this today.
We needed to go for that game and Gio just didn't go for it. He done amazing to get there then just didn't go for it. A one off game that needed everyone performing and it just took him too long to make changes, again.

It was a winnable game. We need to get a striker on much, much sooner that we did. We needed to be replacing players that were absolutely abysmal or just not working. Like Kent.

I am not going to apologise for being disappointed as %^*& at probably the biggest game in my lifetime getting decided the way it was when I genuinely feel the manager didn't make the right calls on more than one occasion during the game.

I know where he is coming from.

Big John was - like the rest of them apart from Bassey - under par in his performance levels.

He will have regrets and be kicking himself for the rest of his life knowing that he is better than what he showed last night.

When Morelos was confirmed injured, I thought that was that. I didn't see how we could navigate our way any further. This team defied the odds and some. Beating a team like Leipzig in the semi's without a recognised Centre Forward was a mammoth task, yet the boys pulled it out the bag.

I felt Frankfurt controlled our two main attacking threats really well all night. They didn't let Tav or Kent have time on the ball. They handled Aribo by forcing him into doing things he was always going to struggle to do well, given he's not a striker. I'll forever wonder if things would have been different if Alfie or Roofe were fully fit and available, but we'll never know. Not really.

Last night hurt and it's always going to hurt, but none of them gave in or stopped trying. We weren't out fought or out thought. We lost in a lottery in the end. Could they have played a bit better? Probably, but I don't doubt a few Frankfurt players likely could have done as well. It was an even game, both teams tried their hardest.

Just managed to bring myself round to watching JL’s interview.

Can see and feel how much he’s hurting, we all are John, but absolutely no one should be feeling let down imo.

That’s football, proud of what we achieved even though the ending was pretty crushing.

To state the bleeding obvious, with his talent and attitude, Lundstram is a mainstay now.

Reactions: BWO
The players have not let us down. They've done us proud and Lundstram is very much one who can hold his head up high.

I cried last night. I tried to cry on Wednesday after the result but it wasn't happening. I cried last night. John Lundstram is probably the closest thing we've seen to a Stuart McCall since the man himself. He's let NOBODY down.

I'm 30 next month, but I want a John Lundstram poster on the wall. He's a Ranger, and just what we require going forward.

As gutting as that loss was,the management team and the players will learn from that. Extremely fine margins in many aspects of the game.
They let no one down

We needed to go for that game and Gio just didn't go for it. He done amazing to get there then just didn't go for it. A one off game that needed everyone performing and it just took him too long to make changes, again.

It was a winnable game. We need to get a striker on much, much sooner that we did. We needed to be replacing players that were absolutely abysmal or just not working. Like Kent.

I am not going to apologise for being disappointed as %^*& at probably the biggest game in my lifetime getting decided the way it was when I genuinely feel the manager didn't make the right calls on more than one occasion during the game.
Not really sure what you mean by going for it, but if you mean all out attack, then that'd most likely have been suicide given Frankfurt's main threat is on the counter attack. Add into the fact we were playing in 30 degree heat and going all out attack would have drained the players even more.

And what striker did we have to bring on? Sakala is badly lacking at this level, and Roofe clearly wasn't fit enough to play any longer than a handful of minutes, hence why he was only brought on at the death for penalties. Asides from them, who would you replace Kent with? Gio had extremely limited options on the bench, especially in the attacking positions.

It wasn't Gio's fault that Goldson inexplicably failed to clear his lines for their goal, or that an experienced, quality player like Ramsey hit a pitiful penalty. I'm as disappointed as you mate, but to say the manager and players, minus Lundstram and Bassey, let us down is shocking.

Not really sure what you mean by going for it, but if you mean all out attack, then that'd most likely have been suicide given Frankfurt's main threat is on the counter attack. Add into the fact we were playing in 30 degree heat and going all out attack would have drained the players even more.

And what striker did we have to bring on? Sakala is badly lacking at this level, and Roofe clearly wasn't fit enough to play any longer than a handful of minutes, hence why he was only brought on at the death for penalties. Asides from them, who would you replace Kent with? Gio had extremely limited options on the bench, especially in the attacking positions.

It wasn't Gio's fault that Goldson inexplicably failed to clear his lines for their goal, or that an experienced, quality player like Ramsey hit a pitiful penalty. I'm as disappointed as you mate, but to say the manager and players, minus Lundstram and Bassey, let us down is shocking.
Sakala done more in his short time on the pitch than a good portion of the team so not sure where the idea he is lacking at this level comes from. He would have been a damn sight more effective on the pitch than some of the others.

I agree with the Goldson issue. Why he left the ball rather than clearing it was a brain fart of epic proportions and that wasn't the managers call.

Gio needed to be changing things up throughout the game and he simply wasn't going to do that. Despite the fact we could see players like Kent were getting nowhere and his performance was mince. Another post suggested that they doubled up on Kent and Tav but yet Tav still managed to get about the pitch, put in passes and crossed. Kent done absolutely nothing for pretty much the entire match yet remained on.

No, I don't mean all out attack as I agree, that would have been a bad move. We needed to do something to give us a bit more going forward as it clearly wasn't working.

Some of the players did let us down, and themselves. Bassey and Lundstram you could see had the effort, passion and really wanted it. I've not hid from the fact I am still very unsure about Gio. I think he takes far too long to make changes that are badly needed and I think Wednesday's game was another example of that.

As I have said also, I am proud of the players getting to that stage. It was still a monumental achievement but felt the game was winnable and there just wasn't enough from some of the players and management to get that final push.

It's over, we try again next season. We try for the Scottish Cup tomorrow and look forward to next season.

Back