John McMaster: The truth about that ‘kiss of life’ on the pitch against Rangers

I was 14 and with my Dad and remember the game because of the incident but can't remember any of the condemnation or anything else from the game tbh.
Absolutely. Johnston was adored by the Rangers fans.
This was only his fifth appearance, since coming back, he had already helped Rangers win the previous 4 games including beating that mob at the piggery (Taking the piss out of Provan, to set up a last minute winner).
It is totally wrong that the fans turned on him for that red card, totally wrong. The fans loved him.

I was at that game , 2nd leg league Cup tie I think.
It was the first leg.

Aberdeen went through after beating us 3-1 at Pittodrie in the second leg, thanks to one of the worst penalty decisions I've ever seen in the last minute of the game.

Colin Jackson (I think) fouled their player 3 yards outside the box.

I disagree mate. Durrant’s career was effectively ruined. Ian did himself proud by reaching the levels and achieving the amount of success that he did afterwards, but the guy must mentally recount what might’ve been on a regular basis.

He was never the same player.
I can’t agree.
He never maximised his career but his trophy haul was still impressive, and one most would be very proud of.

It was the first leg.

Aberdeen went through after beating us 3-1 at Pittodrie in the second leg, thanks to one of the worst penalty decisions I've ever seen in the last minute of the game.

I was right in line with that tackle (on Strachan IIRC) at Pittodrie and it was a quite incredible decision.

As for the Johnston-McMaster incident, although most would have seen it I’m not sure they would have known exactly what happened and I certainly can’t recall anger at Willie Johnston from our support.

Ferguson spoke after the game of how concerned they were about McMaster's health. Yet he played him 3 days later in an easy home game against Morton. They won 6-0 and McMaster scored

I think it stems back to the Scotland tour of South America before the 1978 WC where he was sent off for getting punched and Scotland’s treatment of him at the WC and basically throwing him to the wolves he just went ‘F&ck you and f@ck the lot of you’

The first time that I remember seeing Bud lose the rag unnecessarily was in September 1972 - years before that South American tour. He was sent off against Partick Thistle at Ibrox - quite early on in the game as well - for raising his hands to one of their players. I don't know what was going on inside his head at that point in time but shortly afterwards he was transfered to West Brom.

I had always thought John McMaster was brought up in Kinning Park but seems he was a Greenock boy.

Bud was my first Ibrox hero and always played on the edge. Unfortunately he had a hair trigger and was punished regularly for being sent off, usually in retaliation for being kicked up and down the park. I was present in the main stand that game v Aberdeen and it wasn’t clever from the wee man.

John McMaster is a Rangers fan. He lived in Erskine years ago and was friendly with my mate who stayed along from him. He was a nice guy. Not sure if he still lives in that neck of the woods.

I get what you are driving at, but in no way shape or form was Durrants career effectively over, he won 5 titles and several cups on his return from injury, he played and scored in the Champions League home and away, scored and was motm in cup finals, he was a pivotal part of arguably our greatest ever team.
You saved me typing similar.

It was the first leg.

I remember the penalty referee Mr g.b. smith edinburgh aka a cheat, I think it was dougie Bell that dived for the pen as well

I remember the penalty referee Mr g.b. smith edinburgh aka a cheat, I think it was dougie Bell that dived for the pen as well
You are right on the referee bring George Smith , but it was Strachan that dived
Jackson fouled him at least 3 yards outside the box it was a disgraceful decision by the ref

Back