John Robertson on Sky

The story I heard is he was a Hibs fan until his brother Chris signed for Rangers. Always thought he was a Hibs fan which would tally with him attending the Hands Off Hibs rallies in the early 90’s.

Can’t believe I’m only just now finding out he was a Rangers fan!

Is he not Hearts top scorer too? Remember he scored regularly when I was a wean.
He is indeed and he also loved a goal against Hibs. I actually feel that his skill level was overlooked at times as well, his big strength was his reading and positional sense of a game but he was handy with the ball at his feet.

He is indeed and he also loved a goal against Hibs. I actually feel that his skill level was overlooked at times as well, his big strength was his reading and positional sense of a game but he was handy with the ball at his feet.
No doubt, he was cracking finisher! Most clubs in the league would love a goal scorer like that now. I just remember viewing him as Hearts version of McCoist.

He is also very knowledgeable football wise.

I've been at a few football quiz nights that he also attended and he is like a walking/taking football encyclopedia.

Was really impressed by how much he praised our B team a few years ago when his Caley Thistle side beat us in the Challenge Cup semi final. You could tell he wasn't being patronising and refused to take up the media's encouragement to stick the boot into us having our B team in the tournament.

Robertson, now Inverness Caledonian Thistle sporting director, detailed how he almost joined the Glasgow club prior to rejoining Hearts following a short-lived spell at Newcastle United in 1988.
"Rangers came in at £500,000, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee United came in at £600,000. Rangers was very interesting, Graeme Souness was there, but they weren’t prepared to raise their offer," he recalled.

"When the chairman told me about the bids, it was Rangers out of the three that I wanted to speak to but the offer was too low. Wallace [Mercer, the Hearts chairman] eventually went that wee bit extra to get me back and the stars aligned.”

When talking about ICT gaining promotion tonight he said he wanted the team to visit the big grounds in Scotland like Ibrox and Tynecastle.B-DB-D
Commiserations to Inverness.
One of the few clubs that backed us to the hilt, and called out Dundee, and the SPFL cabal for their down right cheating in 2020?

Their poor chairman at the time, got lambasted by many other chairmen including their neighbour.
Who they were supposed to have a special relationship.
The treacherous Mr. Roy Mcgregor.

Decent club, run by decent people, and decent supporters.

Which is more than can be said for their nasty neighbours!

"One thing is certain, with regards to the governance and leadership of the SPFL, we all deserve better."

In the words of the late, great, Ronnie Van Zant...
"You got that right!
You sure ...got that right."

Last edited:
Same as many presumed he was a Hearts man and rightly so a hero at Tynecastle. Cant call him a hero in the best sense of the word however a player I highly admired and would have loved to have signed.

Changed days. A Hearts player would never admit that today.

Souttar and Halkett haven't made any effort to hide their affection for the club. Neither did Harry Cochrane when he was in the Hearts first team and was being touted as the next big thing.

Definitely agree that there's an element of their support that are SNP supporting Braveheart types who will hate them for it though, which wasn't so prevalent even 20 years ago.

Back