John Souttar

Centralbear

I have very little knowledge of his attributes, maybe because of his injuries or maybe just because I pay so little attention to other Scottish teams.

I did notice however a strong performance for Scotland this season, possibly v Austria? which surprised me somewhat.

Very big assumption but if he maintains his fitness what does he bring us?

Strength in the air, ability to play out of defence, can he pick a pass, how error prone is he?

The error bit is particularly in my mind especially after Wednesday, our achilles heel this season and probably most of Gerrard's tenure before.

Also we all see our errors and their importance magnifies them but other teams errors are rarely as important and merit little mention.

Brings another addition to the treatment table beside Helander and Roofe. Guess he will be an option moving forward of playing in a back 3 but he's not anything more than a squad player.

Still an unknown as his exact role at our club. FOr example is he a Goldson replacement which many wont be happy with. Or is he in as our 3rd centre back, replacing balogun. That would be more palatable.
This really is my point, if by some miracle he stays fit, is he the kind of player that could feature regularly and be relied upon. Does he really bring much to the team.

Or does he make mistakes which just gain little exposure?

Or if replacing Balogun is he played before Leon King and blocking his progress?

Another player with a questionable fitness record that’ll end up missing around half of the season

We love players with injury issues

I haven't seen much of the boy, but heard Craig Levien say on radio a while back that he can play at the very highest level. He rates him very highly.

Hardly played recently due to injury again. It’s a gamble.
Its exactly the sort of signing we should never make again because it always works out really, really, badly for us.

Yet, we continue to make them and learn not a thing.

Rangers will be playing close to 60 games next season, maybe more and Souttar will not manage to be fit to play. Even when he is its questionable who sharp and useful he will actually be because hes unlikely to ever manage long runs of starts with only very short breaks inbetween. Probably itll be the reverse.

I've not much to offer on how good he is as I've not seen him play much in all honesty, but IF he has been signed as a first choice CB, going by his injury record there's no chance we can rely on him as Goldson's replacement. Not saying he hasn't got the potential to match Goldson's quality, however more on the ability to be available to play every single game in every competition.

Centre back is a real worry for me next season as we'll have two injury prone players in Helander and Souttar who between them could very well not even make up a whole season between them. That leaves you with Bassey, Simpson and King. Simpson quite clearly isn't good enough, and King isn't going to be a starter for a season or two yet from what I can see.

If Balogun signs an extension, he's still not fit enough to be an ever present. Additionally, although Bassey has been a colossus, is he better utilised at CB or LB? It'll be interesting to see how we shape up there next season.

We didn't win our last game, so he's fucking shite and the world is burning and everyone should commit mass suicide.

For me, his injury record is a concern, but other than that I'm excited to see what he can bring. We started a European final with Scott Wright in the side and he was probably our best player first half in an attacking sense. Didn't look massively out of place in either the final or semi 2nd leg. A good coach builds a good system for the players at his disposal. Sure Souttar can contribute to that as well.

He’s not even in the door yet and I’ve already accepted the fact he’ll spend as much time on the treatment table as he will on the park.

Exception we cant risk him as Golson replacement both in terms of whether he can improve to standard required or maintain fitness

I know we fear the worst regarding his injury history and I have no expectation of him matching Goldson's durability.

If he does stay fit though, sometimes we're a bit guilty of being dismissive to a certain type of player. Is he reliable?

As good as has been for us and his number of games played has been exceptional, Goldson has been prone to mistakes along the way, Wednesday wasn't his "finest hour", not by a long way.

Also, his career before us wasn't exactly illustrious.

Think we're all agreed we need and expect another experienced CH to come in though this summer.

He’s very much a right sided central defender who would not be played on the left.
Might not sound important but if you were a central defender I assure you that’s critical.
He is fast, not particularly error prone, strong, bring goal threat at set pieces.
Great delivery, great attitude
Injury prone however and he can’t help that.
Some top championship teams were looking at him.
Seemed it was family (illness) issues that meant he wanted to stay in Scotland.
He’s a certain starter for Scotland if he’s fit.
He plays more in a back 3 than a 4 which hints at a change for us if he’s playing for us regularly.
Great signing and will surprise a lot on here.
Like everyone else I hope we get 80%-90% of the season out of him.
Goldson is a machine in that he’s never injured so it seems

Its exactly the sort of signing we should never make again because it always works out really, really, badly for us.

Yet, we continue to make them and learn not a thing.

Rangers will be playing close to 60 games next season, maybe more and Souttar will not manage to be fit to play. Even when he is its questionable who sharp and useful he will actually be because hes unlikely to ever manage long runs of starts with only very short breaks inbetween. Probably itll be the reverse.
Carrying several injury prone first team players combined with playing in 60 matches means that you end up running other players into the ground as well. Particularly when there are players in there like Alfie and Aribo that have to fly halfway round the world to play internationals. Would Alfie have ended up injured had Roofe been fit enough to pick up some of the slack? Same for having to constantly play Aribo without both of them, who has looked absolutely f*cked lately.

The same responses are evident in this thread. I have been open about the fact this signing was and is one of the most ridiculous we have made. New signings are always a risk In general but his problems are well known. Its more than a risk. Its mismanagement of the fans money.

A risk is someone who has had a bad injury and has worked his way back. John Souttar eventually recovers from AN Injury and then he breaks down with something else. He has played hardly any football in the last 5 years. He has had 3 achilles snaps. Ankle surgery. 5 or 6 ankle Injuries, long term hip Injury, long term knee injury. He may look decent for the 1 or 2 games he manages in a row but it has been proven that he breaks down again.

Many in here blamed the board for not paying the alleged 500k to get him. He got Injured at that time and was out for 62 days with another ankle injury.

He is alleged to be getting 5 times his Hearts salary (which came from Craig Levein) so it's not just a risk its deciding to pay a large monthly fee to someone who cannot train and play twice a week.

Good player when he is fit to play, strange signing for all the reasons already mentioned.

We have two injury prone centre backs already, adding a third isn't sitting right with me.

Replaces Balogun in the squad.

We need to move on Helander and replace Goldson.

Two CB’s required with King and Souttar making up the 4 options. We also have Bassey.

Don’t believe for one minutes Souttar is a first choice CB for Rangers. His injury record is huge, let’s hope the lad has a bit of luck on that front.

Miles better than Balogun IMO.

Would still sign another centre half to replace Goldson, but Soutar is a great option domestically if he stays fit.

He’s not arrived yet but he’s already being written off by many on here! God help the lad if things go wrong for him in his first appearance for us. What I’ve seen of him he’s a very good player but definitely has fitness issues. Let’s maybe give him a chance before the critics on here write him off?

Very good defender. Good passer. If he stays fit, a regular & possible future captain.
He has been exceptional this season before his injury.
All this ' he ain't Goldson level' is rubbish.

He was playing far better than him before his recent injury

He’s very much a right sided central defender who would not be played on the left.
Might not sound important but if you were a central defender I assure you that’s critical.
He is fast, not particularly error prone, strong, bring goal threat at set pieces.
Great delivery, great attitude
Injury prone however and he can’t help that.
Some top championship teams were looking at him.
Seemed it was family (illness) issues that meant he wanted to stay in Scotland.
He’s a certain starter for Scotland if he’s fit.
He plays more in a back 3 than a 4 which hints at a change for us if he’s playing for us regularly.
Great signing and will surprise a lot on here.
Like everyone else I hope we get 80%-90% of the season out of him.
Goldson is a machine in that he’s never injured so it seems
If he has these attributes it would seem he is a potential first pick rather than merely a squad filler, has the feel of an "all, or nothing" sort of signing.

The club need to get two very good central defenders in this summer. We will badly miss Goldson, never misses a game and reliable.

Golden - looks like he is leaving

Balogun - Good player but injury prone, towards end of his career and believe he is out of contract too this season?

Helander - good but injury prone

Souttar - good but injury prone

King - Should be competing for a place next season

Bassey - Breakout season, would love to keep him but imagine lots of interested clubs.

Sands - can do a job at centre back but not his best position

Lundstrum - a central midfielder who does a job at centre back

He doesn’t play 50-60 games a season for us no chance.
My point was around him not being a squad player. If he can stay fit he can be a key player. His fitness is up for debate. Goldson’s fitness is unquestionable, his critics are in for a massive shock once he leaves

I think he's far better than what plenty give him credit for, if he's fit he'll be playing regularly. In possession he's similar to Goldson, the long diagonal Goldson loves playing is something Souttar is also quality at, not as good of an athlete but still a good player. His achilles being a paper straw is the worry.

He is the same age and roughly as good as Goldson when we brought him in in my opinion.

Whether he can kick on as much as Goldson is anyone’s guess, but he’s good in the air, tough in the tackle, an organiser who can play out long and short from the back.

The fact that it’s so like for like makes me think he’s being brought in as Goldson’s replacement, but would be happy to be proved wrong.

The same responses are evident in this thread. I have been open about the fact this signing was and is one of the most ridiculous we have made. New signings are always a risk In general but his problems are well known. Its more than a risk. Its mismanagement of the fans money.

A risk is someone who has had a bad injury and has worked his way back. John Souttar eventually recovers from AN Injury and then he breaks down with something else. He has played hardly any football in the last 5 years. He has had 3 achilles snaps. Ankle surgery. 5 or 6 ankle Injuries, long term hip Injury, long term knee injury. He may look decent for the 1 or 2 games he manages in a row but it has been proven that he breaks down again.

Many in here blamed the board for not paying the alleged 500k to get him. He got Injured at that time and was out for 62 days with another ankle injury.

He is alleged to be getting 5 times his Hearts salary (which came from Craig Levein) so it's not just a risk its deciding to pay a large monthly fee to someone who cannot train and play twice a week.

If his wages you say are correct and his inability to play and train at the level we require, then that is a concern.

On a free with reasonable wages, maybe less so.

The number of games that Rangers play, and at intensity that will likely surprise him compared to Hearts, will be difficult.

As I've said elsewhere above, we definitely need another first pick CH brought in this summer.

Rangers + Injury Prone Player ... Only goes one way. maybe as a squad player he wont pick up to many niggles but i just cant see 40+ games a season - Please proove me wrong.

He’ll be balogun replacement and he’ll be a good replacement. Plus he’s homegrown in Europe. Will see slight turnover at the cb position. Helander will be moved on I reckon in the summer and we’ll need to bring one in to replace Goldson. That’ll be a big buy and one we need to get right.

He was immense for Scotland against Denmark. Big question mark over his injury issues, but if he can keep himself fit, I think he’ll be a very capable squad player for us.
Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after this season, I’m a little fed up with these types of signings.

I’d hope that more checks are done on these players going forward.

Hope JS works out, on his day, a very good defender.

Back