John Souttar

Last season, Balogun played in 58% of our games. Souttar played in 65% of Hearts games.

Signing Souttar was questionable but Balogun is also constantly injured, well past his best, zero resale value and not home trained for European games.

By the way, I loved Balogun when he was here but he’s become something of a myth recently.
Spot on. Like Joe Aribo is now the next Messi.

Balogan served us well. Personally I argued all along we should have got shot of him and Goldson. However I see the attraction of resigning Goldson.

But Souttar was signed as he was home grown. That makes sense. However some just criticise every single thing.

No he wasn’t
Whatever wage Soutter is on he would be having it held against him because he isn’t fit very often. Not saying that is fair but the support at the moment is just being scattergun in slagging the club for anything and everything.
Hopefully he can get fit and play an important role in our season.
Whatever wage he is on has no bearing whatsoever.
It's a wage better spent on a player that's not made of paper mache

When his brother died I confirmed that was true early doors. My mate who is a family friend told me that the whole family support them. Not a problem for me just want him fit and playing well for us.
His other brother who is also a centre half was in Seville for a start so this is nonsense to say his whole family support that mob. My mates were standing beside him.

Balogan served us well. Personally I argued all along we should have got shot of him and Goldson. However I see the attraction of resigning Goldson.

But Souttar was signed as he was home grown. That makes sense. However some just criticise every single thing.
Some fair comment but let’s remember the fundamental here - Balogun or Souttar who is better actual player ?
Re CG I actually have to disagree on that to me he should have gone he is our No1 CD and simply isn’t Good enough to be that , plenty of evidence of bog game moments when he cannot step up . That’s how I see it anyway I know it is contentious but I’m not saying it for any other reason than we just had to upgrade for CL standards .

I thought footballers could sign their rights away, just like most music artists do, all rights.
HR management is one of my briefs bud and I have never been told that this is the case.
I check with one of the guys tomorrow or Tuesday.
Who’d sign away their right to privacy though.
Where would the benefit be for them?

Balogun made 65 app in his two seasons. Not bad injury record for me. I would definitely have kept him for another season. Never let us down.
No doubting he was a good defender and very good signing on a free but his injury niggles were becoming more and more frequent and at 34 that's not suddenly going to improve

He was on open goal saying he wanted a few grand and mcoist tripled it
According to what he said on open goal Ally gave him 2/3 of what he was in at Hearts plus a grand a game.
Ally didn’t triple what he asked for.

Still mental amounts and a complete waste I agree.

Crazy days as I’m sure we all recall

I'd have definitely signed balogun for 12 months. Mostly reliable and good in the air
Think the issue which has repeatedly been shared is he wanted a two year deal , not sure if that’s what he got at QPR mind you but it is the thrust of what’s been posted URJ

This isn’t even in the top 5 of our issues atm with players on our books.

Helander and Roofe now worth nothing after being signed for £6-7m on bigger wages than Souttar.

Hagi £3/4m out with a similar injury to what turned Jullien from a cup final scoring centre half to someone who couldn’t keep up with B team players.

£10m not featuring everyone week after signing.

It’s not been a great decision to sign him so far but he has lost his brother and was a free punt from Hearts, we have far bigger issues with players who are holding us back.

Only 5 Hearts players started More league games than Souttar last season.

That suggests to me that either Hearts have serious fitness problems or Souttars recent injury problems aren’t as bad as folk think.

celtic signed carl Starfelt for £4m he started a handful of games more than Souttar.

The popular saviour of some on here seems to be Balogun, he missed as many games through injury last season and started 10 league games less than Souttar.

No manager is going to take a job where he will be judged on other peoples signings. Gerrard on record as saying he had final say why would Gio be different?

Your trying to twist the facts to suit your argument.
You can't possibly know that and it's quite possible Gio agreed Wilson was brining the players in.

I've not twisted any facts.

Last season, Balogun played in 58% of our games. Souttar played in 65% of Hearts games.

Signing Souttar was questionable but Balogun is also constantly injured, well past his best, zero resale value and not home trained for European games.

By the way, I loved Balogun when he was here but he’s become something of a myth recently.
So Balogun would have played more games than Souttar last season? With our Euro run we played much more games than Hearts.

4 year contract for him as well. Crazy decision

Correct. A 25 year-old Scottish international on a free that helps satisfy our homegrown quota? It made a lot of sense, especially as it looks like he was only really intended as a backup to Goldson anyway.

I guess the flip side of that is he had a recent history of injury problems and no sooner had we signed him than he got injured so it’s understandable there’s been some head shaking going on.

Goldson looks like a bigger issue right now. He’s always had a gaff in him, but for £3m that’s always likely and over the piece he’s been a great signing.

Personally I would have preferred he left in the summer and we brought in a new first choice centre half, but then you’re back to looking at the two we did bring in and wondering if it would have been any different?

You can't possibly know that and it's quite possible Gio agreed Wilson was brining the players in.

I've not twisted any facts.
You are right. You are the same as rest of us you don’t know any facts. The only fact we do have was Gerrard was clear he decided what players came and went.

So Balogun would have played more games than Souttar last season? With our Euro run we played much more games than Hearts.

4 year contract for him as well. Crazy decision

Think Balogun played maybe 4 more games overall and yes, we played far more games than Hearts.

Surely we will see him back soon.

He never got injured against Livingston, so how bad can you injure yourself running?

Think the issue which has repeatedly been shared is he wanted a two year deal , not sure if that’s what he got at QPR mind you but it is the thrust of what’s been posted URJ
Oh yeah makes sense regarding the 2 year deal, however think I still would have even for 2 years.
I can't imagine him being on huge wages
But that's just a guess

Ross Wilson has offered the chair leg a three year contract.
I've heard the chairs legs are buckled for the umpteenth time and the chair is terrible at heading a ball. However it is more mobile than Goldson, runs faster then Hagi, and more aggressive than Barisic. We're putting together a multi million pound deal and changing it's name to Simpson.

He’s pure home grown

Aye but we have a Sweden International, US International who we might spend 5 million on, guy we spent 3 million on and home grown player with a higher talent ceiling on our books

F*cking nonsense

Last edited:
That can’t be right, it’ll be like a music artist, when they sign the contract, they’re basically owned for that period of time, so club can do or say as they want.
When a music artist signs a contract with a record label, they are not 'owned'. They just can't release any music outside of the label, unless they have permission to do so.

There isn't an industry anywhere, where your bosses can reveal your medical information without your permission.

As for footballers, they also are not 'owned' in the way you're suggesting. Have you ever heard of footballers being sponsored by Nike, Adidas etc? Or doing tv commercials for the likes of Gillette, Lucozade, Head and Shoulders etc? Those deals are the players own business and nothing to do with their clubs.

When a music artist signs a contract with a record label, they are not 'owned'. They just can't release any music outside of the label, unless they have permission to do so.

There isn't an industry anywhere, where your bosses can reveal your medical information without your permission.

As for footballers, they also are not 'owned' in the way you're suggesting. Have you ever heard of footballers being sponsored by Nike, Adidas etc? Or doing tv commercials for the likes of Gillette, Lucozade, Head and Shoulders etc? Those deals are the players own business and nothing to do with their clubs.
What about music management contracts?

In music, if an artist can’t make a gig because of illness, manager can put out a press release saying whatever they want and music artist has no right to even read it before it is sent out.

Not sure about footballers.

Somebody was saying the other day he injured himself kicking a chair at a private function.
Maybe the chair gave him a knock back?

When we we're building Flotta oil terminal ..... Orkney Isles in the eighties!
There was an auld rigger on cabaret nights used to dance with a chair due to the lack of women?

The bears Nicknamed him .......Fred Ah,Chair. .....I think the chair was called Ginger?
A....... The demon drink!!!

99% of the support knew the transfer would be a car crash as soon as the rumours started. Just don’t understand how our ‘footballing department’ can’t see it.
Tbh I think it was 100%.

A lot of us said he is a good footballer, but signing a guy who is never fit is just stupid business by Wilson.

I knew about his brother passing but I thought the word was that he was injured?

He is injured. His brother passed away just prior to the friendly against West Ham which he played in. It has nothing to do with his current absence. But the clubs lack of comms on his issue leads to the mad speculation such as kicking chairs etc as well. Doesn't do anyone any favours.

He is injured. His brother passed away just prior to the friendly against West Ham which he played in. It has nothing to do with his current absence. But the clubs lack of comms on his issue leads to the mad speculation such as kicking chairs etc as well. Doesn't do anyone any favours.

Thanks for clarifying mate.

The radio silence on our current injuries is as bad as I can remember.

Thats Roofe, Souttar and Helander all out long term and no one is any the wiser what long term even means or what the injuries are, unless I missed the press release?

Back