John Souttar's distribution

He's a very good footballer and will be a great addition, if he can stay fit.

I'm a bit concerned about relying on him and switching to a 3 at the back, if he keeps suffering injuries, but fingers crossed he and we can get some luck on that front.

Goldson's also been a bit slack at times this season, so having a fit Souttar pressuring him for a place in a back 4 might push him to improve too.

I hope he does well but I think he’ll just be another that is constantly injured. Really hope I’m wrong, he’s always been spoke of as a good player

This is the reality of the Souttar situation to be honest. Best to just think of it as a bonus when he is available. I certainly wouldn't be making any plans to change the defence to include him with any regularity but that's up to the manager.

He has mostly looked good since he came back in. He is definitely better with the ball than I thought he was.

We have three great ball-playing centre backs and two, maybe three, good attacking full-backs. It makes for great attacking potential when we have the ball. We have to make it count in scoring goals though because none of our defenders are free of the occasional error.

This is where the inverted runs from Yilmaz will come into play as well.

I dunno, I think between now and end of season it will be Kent at LWB, especially against teams when we have 80% possession.

Makes more sense to have best players on the ball/park.

I think Beale is going to do this a lot next season.

At SPFL level - Souttar is more than good enough - his issue is not ability its availability.

if he can have a run of 6/9 months avoiding niggles / injuries he will be a more than valuable asset for us.

Reactions: TQ3
Realise he picked a good team to come on Saturday but was really impressed with his passing.

Let's hope he can get an extended run of fitness because a fit Souttar is a good option.
Noticed it as well. Different range of passing from Goldson’s diagonal lobs. Looked composed too

He's always been really good on the ball for a defender. Pretty sure he used to play quite a bit in defensive midfield when he was at Dundee utd.

We’ll see 3 at the back more going forward especially against teams in the league who will sit deep.

It’s definitely a decent way to break a team down with wingbacks.
How about using as a way forward against the paedos and getting an extra player in the midfield area to gain midfield control and in this way nullify their threat.

Another option perhaps but do we have the personnel for a narrow 4 in midfield

Hoping he stays fit. Might be risky but willing to try a back 3 against that lot and try and win the midfield battle against them. I think we'll see this more this season, probably even more next.

Hoping he stays fit. Might be risky but willing to try a back 3 against that lot and try and win the midfield battle against them. I think we'll see this more this season, probably even more next.
Everybody knows he is a good player as seen in the cup final its trying to keep him fit is the problem

I just don’t see Souttar as any where near good enough. If he plays against the scum his lack of fitness and sharpness might just cost us too much.

I do hope he proves me wrong and starts to shine but somehow I just don’t think his head is telling his body that he will continue at this level for very much longer.

I'm fine with 3 at the back, will allow us to dominate possession high up in the opponents half and isn't as defensive really as people think.

Comes with added benefit of being better at defending set peices with 3 centre backs.

If Raskin or Cantwell played the pass into Morelos that he played, we’d be absolutely raving about it. Was utterly superb and he was unlucky not to get an assist.

I dunno, I think between now and end of season it will be Kent at LWB, especially against teams when we have 80% possession.

We often see a left back slot in as the left-side CH. Appreciate Yilmaz is smaller than most but may be a way to play that shape and have both on the park.

We’ll see 3 at the back more going forward especially against teams in the league who will sit deep.

Hopefully. IMHO would should have a team that can switch formation at ease.

Kent at LWB would be interesting, but it depends on how he plays his attacking players.

You could see a 3-5-2 with two tens and a striker, and I’d expect Kent to be one of the tens there.

I’m not sure how happy he’d be being played LWB.

It’s souttars best position, in middle of a 3 and stepping into midfield to start attacks.

Funnily enough, I heard a discussion on this recently where it was going to be more effective in games against better opposition.
Like how GvB employed this in Europe last season,

Tell us where you’re coming from.
I think he’s slow and cumbersome with the turning circle of the Exxon Valdez.

Otherwise, I’m sure he’s ok if he can stay fit. Home grown I assume, so suppose he has that in his locker

Last edited:
In simple terms I watched him in the SCF and I'm certain a fully fit JS improves us immensely whether in a 3 or 2.
But in a 2 he maybe only plays on the left hand side unless Goldson gets dropped which seldom happens

Realise he picked a good team to come on Saturday but was really impressed with his passing.

Let's hope he can get an extended run of fitness because a fit Souttar is a good option.
We’ve probably got more chance of seeing a dodo again than Souttar putting a run of 30+ consecutive games together.

He‘s another soft mint ala the Webster fraud who made an incredible footballing recovery after leaving us.

A welcome bonus if he can pass a ball but I’m honestly more interested in how he can help the defence stop leaking stupid goals.

A new goalkeeper in the summer hopefully will help.

Back