John Wark interview

mdingwall

Administrator
u9qQSIc.jpg

liPBtow.jpg

Always wondered why Souness didn’t go for him when he left Liverpool. I was too young at the time but looking at everything Wark says, he’d have jumped at the chance.

Always wondered why Souness didn’t go for him when he left Liverpool. I was too young at the time Ibut looking at everything Wark says, he’d have jumped at the cchi
I was told by an ex Rangers player that John asked Souness if he could join Rangers. Souness asked him if he could play left back.

I met him on way home at a service station after a cup final win, had a quick chat with him and he said he would love to come to Rangers

He would cost a fair bit to buy if he was in the game now and at the top of his game, box to box, hard working, goal scoring skilful midfielder

Ex 108th Glasgow Boy. Used to go back to present football prizes to the Boys.

And his mother worked at Victoria Drive School.

I think I've read somewhere, probably on here, that his brother was meant to be a brilliant player too. Could be getting him confused with someone else.

A great guy ... Was a bit greedy when playing 5s with us one time at blairdardie sports hall (he was officially injured at Liverpool at the time ) .

Even playing with us on a kick about he wanted the ball all the time and to score all the goals .

I met him and got his autograph in Scotch Corner toy shop in Ayr, August 1981,

It must have been the week leading up to our friendly v Ipswich.

Love his story about his medical at Liverpool:

"I was rather taken aback when the doctor entered the Anfield boot room", Wark said. "He was small in stature and I could not help but detect the smell of alcohol on his breath as he introduced himself to me. I was even more surprised when he announced we would stay put to conduct the medical examination. "He took my blood pressure, looked at the reading and muttered 'that's fine'. Then something happened that to this day I still cannot get over. He asked me to bend down and touch my toes. "Trying not to show my surprise, I did exactly as he asked and as I lifted my head he spoke again, this time to announce 'you've passed'. That was it, my Liverpool medical."

I'm sure I read somewhere, a good number of years ago, his mother was taking in a game at Ibrox from one of the hospitality suites as a guest of someone.

Her host introduced her to someone at Ibrox, "this is Mrs Wark, John Wark's mother"

Bloke from the Ibrox says, we tried to sign him once.

Mrs Wark apparently replied, "you never tried hard enough!"

Used to work with John's cousin when younger doing roofing all over Britain
When we were close to wherever John was playing he would get us tickets
He was a gentleman as others have said he was more interested talking to me about The Rangers than he was about the game he had just played in

Back