Johnny Russell on £1.34million a season at Kansas City

Is that really that much for a guy who played a number of years higher up in the Championship down south?
Precisely, would be surprised if he hasn’t been on that for a while. I guess the only mild surprise of his current salary is because the MLS has a salary cap, for non-marquee designated players.

The majority of the teams highest paid players are around the 30k mark i think, outwith the likes of zlatan and rooney etc. Think i read atlanta top scorer and mls top scorer last year Josef Martinez was on around 26k

Given how good corporate America is at running sports i'd expect this will be a trend that increases. Some of us will see the day players turn down us to go and play for Athletico Utah

Playing well and is a big draw for the fans. They really do like him so I reckon he'll be earning his keep for them. The fact they don't have the utterly mental transfer fees means they get to do other things with it.

He is and always has been a very good player,he’s a mate of a mate and my mate confirmed that he is a celtc supporter but my mate says JR isnt a bitter mhank

Precisely, would be surprised if he hasn’t been on that for a while. I guess the only mild surprise of his current salary is because the MLS has a salary cap, for non-marquee designated players.
It says he earned 1.000.000 less last season.
7k - 7.5k to 27k using my mathematical skills.

I saw him play last year at LA Galaxy. He had Ashley Cole on toast, and was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. Based on that performance, Kansas are getting a bargain.

FBS

He is and always has been a very good player,he’s a mate of a mate and my mate confirmed that he is a celtc supporter but my mate says JR isnt a bitter mhank

Yep he’s a decent player that’s for sure. Fair play to him for doing something different with his career by heading Stateside and making a mint in the process.

Slightly related, but I remember seeing Andrew driver (remember him? Another we were constantly linked with) have his salary made public when he was at Houston Dynamo a few years ago, it was something like $1500 dollars a week.

I don’t watch the MLS so have no real idea the standard.

Is it on a par with the SPFL? Better?

If so, I’m surprised more Scottish players don’t try their luck over there if that’s the sort of money you can earn.

Not sure how 27k is surprising for a player who was doing well in championship before. It’s a lot of money but there will be worse players on more.

Absolutely loved Johnny Russell when he was at Derby, I remember him scoring against Leeds once with a broken leg. He had the heart of a lion and his workrate was outstanding.

Im loving life stateside and thrilled to finally meet the Kansas City Emerald CSC
giphy.gif

He's been very decent for Sporting KC this year, most games I've saw he's been the stand out player.

Pity he's one of them.

Back