Jose Pierre-Fanfan

I appreciate he was coping with a diminishing budget but Big Eck didn't half ship in an absolute barrel of duds.

Actually I don't even want to think about the others.

I think Eck would get overawed and carried away with the names being thrown at him by agents. The Capucho signing was a prime example of this. He literally said "I nearly bit the agents hand off when offered him" despite the fact it was clear Capucho was a totally different player to Cannigia and that he wouldn't replace his pace in the side. Emerson was another. His comments about "doing our homework this time" when signing Mladenovic would also attest to this.

For every Boumsong there was a weird signing like Fanfan who was evidently done and just wanted a final payday. The name was exotic (literally in this case), but scratch below the surface and you'd find there's a reason why they're being touted to the SPL at this juncture in their career. It's also scary to think of some of the near misses he had - a washed up Emile Mpenza, for example.

I think Eck would get overawed and carried away with the names being thrown at him by agents. The Capucho signing was a prime example of this. He literally said "I nearly bit the agents hand off when offered him" despite the fact it was clear Capucho was a totally different player to Cannigia and that he wouldn't replace his pace in the side. Emerson was another. His comments about "doing our homework this time" when signing Mladenovic would also attest to this.

For every Boumsong there was a weird signing like Fanfan who was evidently done and just wanted a final payday. The name was exotic (literally in this case), but scratch below the surface and you'd find there's a reason why they're being touted to the SPL at this juncture in their career. It's also scary to think of some of the near misses he had - a washed up Emile Mpenza, for example.
before my time but im a bit of a geek , were we not bidding 10 mil for mpenza when he was at schalke or liege late 90s early noughties ?

before my time but im a bit of a geek , were we not bidding 10 mil for mpenza when he was at schalke or liege late 90s early noughties ?

We did indeed, mate. But when he was out of contract further down the line we apparently offered him a massive deal only for him to kb it and go to Roma instead. He then hardly played. Frightening to think about.

Perhaps @SDF can confirm that.

We did indeed, mate. But when he was out of contract further down the line we apparently offered him a massive deal only for him to kb it and go to Roma instead. He then hardly played. Frightening to think about.

Perhaps @SDF can confirm that.

Mpenza was linked twice.

£6.5m in 2000 when at Schalke and then in 2004 after he had a really good season back in Belgium. Went to Hamburg instead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/3678431.stm

Fanfan - PSG captain
Rodriguez - Monaco captain
Hemdani - Marseille captain

On paper, absolutely fantastic signings but ultimately gave us so little
Hemdani gave us more than the other two put together and even then it was not much

On his way back down the touchline after warming up at East End Park he gave me a high five the day we drew 1-1 there under Le Guen after Buffel had give us the lead.

Also the first time I have ever had a steak bride.

Him and a few others still haunt me. Ostenstaad, Dan Eggen, Bernard, Emerson, Maniero. Depressing.

images

Back