Jukebox Durie

Glass Onion

What's Gordon Durie up to these days? Saw a post on the Rangers Archives page, which got me thinking about him. Checked his Wikipedia page and it says he was bankrupt in 2016! I also didn't realise he only played 125 games for us in 7+ years at the club. What happened after he left Rangers coaching staff? Just curious, really.

I remember him as being first pick with Hateley during the 93/94 season as Ally was out with injury and most famously for his Scottish Cup final performance. I was only 8-10 years old during the mid 90s so my memory might not be great but I think he had a terrible first touch but was a solid player and always gave it everything.

Was he not a bit like Kenny Miller in the sense he’d chase crisp packets around the pitch but could have erratic finishing?.

Advocaat kept him around so must have been a decent player, coupled with a great attitude.

I was watching the masters a few weeks ago & he was always one of the better ones in the Rangers team who was still very fit & could still have been playing.

Cup final hat-trick & yet your not remembered for it, how unlucky :))

Did Chick Young not say “Tomorrow Rangers will announce Gordon Durie” about two years before we actually signed him? :))

Always had a soft spot for him as a player. I am from Leven and my old man often used to take me to watch East Fife, where I first saw Durie (alongside Kirk, Marshall, etc.)

He was solid but not spectacular for us.

It was nice of him chatting to the support when I met him but to be honest I was more chatting to marv as he was a massive cult hero of ours 15 years ago.

Jukebox was quiet and reserved but did thank him for making me happy in the 90s :D

Just hope hes back doing hospitality soon. (Thanks Covid)

Seems to get a lot of stick on here for his touch, finishing etc. I have only good memories of him. Was at his debut at Fir Park (or maybe it was his first goals) when he scored a double.

It's true that he played in some great sides with better players than Durie himself, but he also weighed in with some great goals and gave his all. Important player for us in the '90s.

Did he not score a pile of goals in a home game against Hibs? Memory may be playing tricks but I think it was the same game that Gazza booked the referee.

The day he signed I was at Ibrox getting tickets and saw a wee crowd at the front door, after 5 minutes he came out and was great, really chuffed to be a Bear.

Never scored against the Scum saying that don’t know how many starts or appearances of the bench he had,always liked Durie did a great job for what he was required for.

Was he not a bit like Kenny Miller in the sense he’d chase crisp packets around the pitch but could have erratic finishing?.

Advocaat kept him around so must have been a decent player, coupled with a great attitude.

I was watching the masters a few weeks ago & he was always one of the better ones in the Rangers team who was still very fit & could still have been playing.

Cup final hat-trick & yet your not remembered for it, how unlucky :))

I’m not a lover of Miller, but I think that’s harsh on him.

He was better than Gordon Durie, imo.

He doesn't really get the recognition he deserves, I admit to never being a massive fan of his but he was way more than decent and gave his absolute all when playing for us. In think he had a fairly decent goals return too and 4 titles iirc.
edit. 4 not 7

The day he signed I was at Ibrox getting tickets and saw a wee crowd at the front door, after 5 minutes he came out and was great, really chuffed to be a Bear.
Chick Young had him signing for us numerous times before it actually happened from memory.

One of my favourite memories is in a taxi with Durrant, Durie and Ian Ferguson in a taxi in Hong Kong on our way to try find handbags for their family. Surreal moment.

Always remember him randomly a couple of games here and there under Advocaat. I’m sure he played against Parma in the UEFA Cup at home.

He was average when at Rangers, that's just my opinion.
I had some happy memories growing up watching him but looking at his scoring record for Rangers I kind of agree with you.

His record was scoring about 1 in 3 which puts him between Darcheville and Cousin.

Miller, Naismith and even Laudrup had 'poorer' scoring records but Durie seemed like more of a traditional centre forward than a support striker or winger.

My brother met him at the sheep game last season, and going by this thread he seems to make it to most home games. I liked him as a player, but he was never prolific. He used to have a bet with Gazza on who would score more each season. Gazza won!!

My brother met him at the sheep game last season, and going by this thread he seems to make it to most home games. I liked him as a player, but he was never prolific. He used to have a bet with Gazza on who would score more each season. Gazza won!!
Not in the 8IAR season he didn’t squire.:p

What's Gordon Durie up to these days? Saw a post on the Rangers Archives page, which got me thinking about him. Checked his Wikipedia page and it says he was bankrupt in 2016! I also didn't realise he only played 125 games for us in 7+ years at the club. What happened after he left Rangers coaching staff? Just curious, really.

I remember him as being first pick with Hateley during the 93/94 season as Ally was out with injury and most famously for his Scottish Cup final performance. I was only 8-10 years old during the mid 90s so my memory might not be great but I think he had a terrible first touch but was a solid player and always gave it everything.

Gordon played more than 125 games for us. The bit at the top right of a Wikipedia entry is league games only (it's annoying).

Gordon was a very good player, underestimated by some in our support.

Not many can say they scored a hat trick for Rangers in a Scottish Cup final.

I'm probably biased as I had his name on the back of my top as youngster, wee brother went with Porrini!

Back