Juventus All Time XI

A lot of they players before my time but they must have been very good to keep Davids, Ferrara, Del Piero, Buffon, Cannavaro, vialli, conte, thuram and Baggio our of the team

Those defenders must have been amazing to keep out Chiellini,Cannavaro and even the two b.astards the former played with whose names escape me- best back three I ever saw play that system.

Edit - one was Bonucci

Surprised Zidane is in there. He had his best years at Real. I’d have Del Piero instead.

Cannavarro is one of the best all time defenders. Can see why he isnt in team though as did he not only have a couple of seasons at Juve.

Exactly, where is Del Piero?

But when I say that, we should remember that our own greatest XI was heavily loaded with modern players, rather than recognising some of the *all time* legends

Butcher shouldn't be in ours. There may be an argument against Hateley and Gascoigne also, but Butcher definitely not. The most obvious omission, for me, is Derek Johnstone. There will be other very notable mentions of course.

My granda says the same about DJ

I think the timing of when it was done (just after 9IAR) had a lot to do with the selections. I personally think there might be scope to re-do it for the 150th anniversary, but I understand why others want it left.
I'd argue that more Ancestral Greats (Bob McPhail, Alan Morton, Jock Shaw etc) would get a fairer assessment these days with their legacies all readily available online. In 1999 this wasn't the case, and it's no surprise that there was none from a pre television age, rightly or wrongly. Think Jim Baxter was the oldest in it IIRC?

Zidane was outstanding for Juve!!

It’s a fair call, I idealised him growing up too. But for the years service a class of Del Piero not to be in that team is criminal. Zidane for me was better at Real so that’s the only reason I’d put Del Piero ahead of him in this team.

Baggio was a far better player for Juve than Zidane was. Baggio was the best of the lot of the Italian No.10’s, and there were a shit load of them at that time.
Totti, Zola, Del Piero, Pirlo. Every team in Italy played with a 10, and none were better than Baggio.

It’s a fair call, I idealised him growing up too. But for the years service a class of Del Piero not to be in that team is criminal. Zidane for me was better at Real so that’s the only reason I’d put Del Piero ahead of him in this team.
I'd have Del Piero in the team too, loved him!! I'd also have big Ciro Ferrara as centrehalf!! Buffon over Zoff for me too!! Find a place for Baggio too, one of my all-time fave players!! But I get I'm comparing to players I haven't seen!! As for Zidane, like I said, he was great with and for Juve!!

Baggio was a far better player for Juve than Zidane was. Baggio was the best of the lot of the Italian No.10’s, and there were a shit load of them at that time.
Totti, Zola, Del Piero, Pirlo. Every team in Italy played with a 10, and none were better than Baggio.
Can't disagree with that re Baggio, loved him and was loved by the whole of Italy and afar!!

I'd have Del Piero in the team too, loved him!! I'd also have big Ciro Ferrara as centrehalf!! Buffon over Zoff for me too!! Find a place for Baggio too, one of my all-time fave players!! But I get I'm comparing to players I haven't seen!! As for Zidane, like I said, he was great with and for Juve!!
Del Piero I forgot about him. Can’t believe he didn’t make it

I don’t think he was better mate he was out of the world but Zidane was better for me

I don’t remember Ferrara. And I forgot Baguio played for Juve, jeez! Whenever I picture Baguio I see him in a blue shirt.

I don’t remember Ferrara. And I forgot Baguio played for Juve, jeez! Whenever I picture Baguio I see him in a blue shirt.
I thought Ferrara was an outstanding CB for them!! Not comparing them but to me he was their Baresi!!

Is Zoff not a 2 time WC winner as a player? Seems like a lot of folk only choosing the guys they seen play on Football Italia.

I think the timing of when it was done (just after 9IAR) had a lot to do with the selections. I personally think there might be scope to re-do it for the 150th anniversary, but I understand why others want it left.
I'd argue that more Ancestral Greats (Bob McPhail, Alan Morton, Jock Shaw etc) would get a fairer assessment these days with their legacies all readily available online. In 1999 this wasn't the case, and it's no surprise that there was none from a pre television age, rightly or wrongly. Think Jim Baxter was the oldest in it IIRC?

There can never be a definitive all time 11 for a club 150 years old with well over 100 trophies.

Even my old man's all time team was post WW2 onwards, so he never saw over 70 years of great Rangers players. For example, just about everyone has Laudrup at number 11 in their greatest team, but most historians would just laugh at any greatest team without Alan Morton.

There can never be a definitive all time 11 for a club 150 years old with well over 100 trophies.

Even my old man's all time team was post WW2 onwards, so he never saw over 70 years of great Rangers players. For example, just about everyone has Laudrup at number 11 in their greatest team, but most historians would just laugh at any greatest team without Alan Morton.

Agree totally. However, it would be Laudrup 7 Cooper 11 for most I'd argue seeing as can't be both. But you're dead on, it just irks me that Butcher is in it when there are far more deserving, and I'm open to the argument regards Hateley and Gascoigne as well.
I've been thinking more recently there should be two teams. Problem is getting a specific cut off date, but I was thinking along the lines of pre and post European Football era. Falling into anorak territory perhaps, but I do believe the first ~80 years history and players should be more lauded, it's because of them Rangers became the team it is.

I don’t think he was better mate he was out of the world but Zidane was better for me
You can argue Zidane had a better career, (it’s not really an argument) but he played in an all conquering Juve team whereas Baggio was up against that Milan team that’s borderline the greatest ever.
Baggio was amazing for Juve, and sadly missed out on all the real glory despite leading them into the beginning of their golden period with the first scudetto.
Zidane really peaked at Real. Juve used to be on almost every Sunday on the C4 games, and Zidane turned in way more anonymous performances than good ones.
Still a fabulous player for them in his day, but he was way more consistent at Real.
As I said, Baggio was better, for Juve.
He was also better than Del Piero, but Del Piero’s lengthy career at Juve will probably see many think he was better.

Agree totally. However, it would be Laudrup 7 Cooper 11 for most I'd argue seeing as can't be both. But you're dead on, it just irks me that Butcher is in it when there are far more deserving, and I'm open to the argument regards Hateley and Gascoigne as well.
I've been thinking more recently there should be two teams. Problem is getting a specific cut off date, but I was thinking along the lines of pre and post European Football era. Falling into anorak territory perhaps, but I do believe the first ~80 years history and players should be more lauded, it's because of them Rangers became the team it is.

Not saying my old dad was any more expert than anyone else, but his team had no Jardine, Gough, Butcher, Gascoigne, Cooper or Hateley. Or DJ.

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
Thornton
McCoist
Laudrup

But he freely admitted it was only because he never saw some of his old uncle's heroes, the likes of Meiklejohn, McPhail and Morton. And even he had never seen the greats from our first 50 years.

You can argue Zidane had a better career, (it’s not really an argument) but he played in an all conquering Juve team whereas Baggio was up against that Milan team that’s borderline the greatest ever.
Baggio was amazing for Juve, and sadly missed out on all the real glory despite leading them into the beginning of their golden period with the first scudetto.
Zidane really peaked at Real. Juve used to be on almost every Sunday on the C4 games, and Zidane turned in way more anonymous performances than good ones.
Still a fabulous player for them in his day, but he was way more consistent at Real.
As I said, Baggio was better, for Juve.
He was also better than Del Piero, but Del Piero’s lengthy career at Juve will probably see many think he was better.
Great way of putting bud

Back