Kai Kennedy, Nathan Patterson & Lewis Mayo.

For me, the Katic injury will now give us a first sign of likely it is that young ones mentioned get pushed on or not.

I respect manager’s call on whether boys are good enough to be permanent fixtures in team. But, I’m getting fed up of us overpaying older squad players, who aren’t good enough, instead of using youth players.

For example, Mayo as 4th choice CB would mean we don’t need to go and spend money on one. This would free up money for elsewhere hopefully. I’d rather spend more on a quality RF/RW and use Mayo as squad option, than spread budget across loads of squad players.

Our run to the Challenge Cup semis was fantastic buy you really have to look at it game by game.

Solihull Moors made nine changes to their lineup from their previous game against Maidenhead, they then made eight changes to the team that played Rangers for the next game against Dagenham & Redbridge.

The physical difference was massive and Solihull should have been out of sight in the first half as they bombarded us with corners, free-kicks and long throws. We hung in there and after some tactical changes we played a lot better after the break and edged the penalty shootout.

The most significant change was moving Kai Kennedy from wide left to a Number 10 role. I felt Kai was struggling physically against Josh Neufville a player on loan from Luton Town and ironically the youngest player in the Soilihull team at 19. He found a lot more space in the second half and Solihull struggled to pick him up in his role behind the striker which was instrumental in Rangers drawing the game.

Yip. He was the best player in Scotland as a youngster. I used to see him in the town drinking every other weekend in nightclubs when he was only 17 at the time. He was in with a bad crowd.

Moving away down south with his Mrs and having a kid etc was the making of him. Got him away from the Glasgow crowd and no doubt he barely drinks etc anymore and lives like a professional, and now look at him. You'd struggle to get Sheff United to answer the phone to anyone offering less than 25m for him.
He's a terrific player. He should be the main man in that Scotland midfield alongside Armstrong and Gilmour (too young my arse).

Fleck, given the time needed would have been a mainstay in our team, as mentioned previously his choices outside of football were maybe holding him back, the move down south will have helped with that.

Rangers saw John Fleck as an attacking player and the new Wayne Ronney. In all the time watching John Fleck through the age groups I never once saw him play in what has become his established position.

Our run to the Challenge Cup semis was fantastic buy you really have to look at it game by game.

Solihull Moors made nine changes to their lineup from their previous game against Maidenhead, they then made eight changes to the team that played Rangers for the next game against Dagenham & Redbridge.

The physical difference was massive and Solihull should have been out of sight in the first half as they bombarded us with corners, free-kicks and long throws. We hung in there and after some tactical changes we played a lot better after the break and edged the penalty shootout.

The most significant change was moving Kai Kennedy from wide left to a Number 10 role. I felt Kai was struggling physically against Josh Neufville a player on loan from Luton Town and ironically the youngest player in the Soilihull team at 19. He found a lot more space in the second half and Solihull struggled to pick him up in his role behind the striker which was instrumental in Rangers drawing the game.

What are your thoughts on Kennedy breaking through this year as a regular squad member? Does he have the ability to displace players like Greg Stewart and see some minutes?

There's every chance none of them will. I just think it's unfair to say Gerrard doesn't want to promote youth players at this stage, is all.
People scream for youth in one breath then say Rangers are only about winning in another. And I say that as someone who thinks we need to give these boys a chance. But you're right that timing is the most important thing. Whilst there is a risk we expose them too early, there's also the risk that we leave it too late and they want to move to get games. It's a tricky one.

I don’t nearly watch the youths as much as I used to but anytime I’ve watched KK he’s seemed a bit ineffective out left and appears to suit the 10 much better.

Looking at the training pics it looks like Paterson and Mayo are first team squad players. Both have their initials on their training gear, unlike Dapo, McPake and Barjonas. Maybe a sign that they will be used as backup this season
Was going to say it may be an age reason for Mayo but he is a year or two younger than Barjo so yeah looks like he has been promoted to the first team properly. I get that he is a centre half by trade but I can see him being a defensive mid long term, he looks pretty class on the ball already.

Was going to say it may be an age reason for Mayo but he is a year or two younger than Barjo so yeah looks like he has been promoted to the first team properly. I get that he is a centre half by trade but I can see him being a defensive mid long term, he looks pretty class on the ball already.
Thistle ST holder I know rated him higher in midfield than Barjo and Cammy. Definitely seems so have something about him, distribution is top notch I’m told. The boy did caveat that by saying Mayo played a lot less games and that Palmer was really good overall.

Reactions: LD5
Rangers saw John Fleck as an attacking player and the new Wayne Ronney. In all the time watching John Fleck through the age groups I never once saw him play in what has become his established position.
Probably cos he was "too wee" to play CM

When RTV was on the virgin box I watched a lot of the youths and he was much more attacking as you say and seemed to be rather quick (Celtic in the cup final for example. Had really high hopes for Lennon also, think Lennon’s said he had to get away from the Glasgow culture.

Thistle ST holder I know rated him higher in midfield than Barjo and Cammy. Definitely seems so have something about him, distribution is top notch I’m told. The boy did caveat that by saying Mayo played a lot less games and that Palmer was really good overall.
I've been pretty impressed with Palmer whenever I've seen him, probably needs to build up a bit over the next year or two if he wants to play that midfield role to the maximum. Its a shame the pandemic happened and messed up his loan spell at Orange County, would have been good to see how him and Finlayson got on out there.

I've been pretty impressed with Palmer whenever I've seen him, probably needs to build up a bit over the next year or two if he wants to play that midfield role to the maximum. Its a shame the pandemic happened and messed up his loan spell at Orange County, would have been good to see how him and Finlayson got on out there.
I like Cammy but i am/ was mates with his brother. I think he may end up at OC permamently, just because he is Canadian gives me that feeling nothing factual. Would like him to make it though but think he may be getting on a bit in terms of age. When I watched him at thistle he was very good and loved a tackle even with his physique:))

Reactions: LD5
Probably cos he was "too wee" to play CM

He wasn't too wee in the youth teams mate. Quite the opposite. He was simply always played as an attacking player as that was his position then. It's taken a huge chunk of a decade and a lot of time in the lower leagues for him to find the role he now plays.

He wasn't too wee in the youth teams mate. Quite the opposite. He was simply always played as an attacking player as that was his position then. It's taken a huge chunk of a decade and a lot of time in the lower leagues for him to find the role he now plays.
The whole Rooney comparison was based on the man like Physique they had as kids, coupled with attacking position of course.

What are your thoughts on Kennedy breaking through this year as a regular squad member? Does he have the ability to displace players like Greg Stewart and see some minutes?

I don't have any doubt Kai has the ability, I'd be disappointed if he doesn't get some game time I would be disappointed. As for becoming a regular squad member, only the manager can answer that.

I don't have any doubt Kai has the ability, I'd be disappointed if he doesn't get some game time I would be disappointed. As for becoming a regular squad member, only the manager can answer that.

I'd like him to be Hagis understudy at 10.

The first time I saw Fleck play was for Scotland at Under 15s in the home nations tournament, the name of which escapes me right now.

He played in the middle in much the role that he does now and I thought we had a ready made Barry Ferguson replacement coming through.

I don't know if he maybe saw himself as more of an attacking player, but I never saw him play there again until he moved down to England.

Walter Smith played John Fleck left wing in games including one away to the mentally challengeds. He was rated for years as the best prospect Scotland had seen and when he breaks into our team at 16/17 he gets played constantly out of position. That is one major criticism I have of Walters time.

I'd like him to be Hagis understudy at 10.
I agree but I think we underestimate some of these youngsters mentally and physically, Billy Gilmour is playing in the strongest league in world and yet hasn't took a bad challenge because he can play and understanding of the game keeps him a step ahead ,I think Kennedy can do the same.

Whats your thoughts on having Mayo as our 4th CB whilst Katic is injured? I like the look of him from the academy games I have seen, might have the wrong game here but am sure against Wrexham he played holding midfield and controlled the game. Obviously I have only seen about a quarter of the games that you have seen Mayo, sure he has been a first team squad player for a while(obviously been out on loan)

Walter Smith played John Fleck left wing in games including one away to the mentally challengeds. He was rated for years as the best prospect Scotland had seen and when he breaks into our team at 16/17 he gets played constantly out of position. That is one major criticism I have of Walters time.
Who was he dislodging from CM? Ferguson, Thomson or Mendes?

Who was he dislodging from CM? Ferguson, Thomson or Mendes?

Im not suggesting for a minute any of them. What I do know is playing a 16/17 year old out of position in every game he plays for us including away to poets goes a long way to stopping him reaching anywhere near his potential.

That applies for any young player never mind one that was tipped to be the next Wayne Rooney.

Whats your thoughts on having Mayo as our 4th CB whilst Katic is injured? I like the look of him from the academy games I have seen, might have the wrong game here but am sure against Wrexham he played holding midfield and controlled the game. Obviously I have only seen about a quarter of the games that you have seen Mayo, sure he has been a first team squad player for a while(obviously been out on loan)

I certainly think Lewis is capable in filling that role, he is a very steady player. Maybe not the physical specimen of our other centre backs, obviously haven't seen him since over the summer but I'm sure he would have naturally bulked up a wee bit. He did very well on loan at Thistle in a physical league, but the manager and coaching staff see him every day in training so they will know if they feel his ready. Fourth choice centre back, is this right for Lewis at this stage ? Likely to be on the sidelines every week, maybe another loan spell would be better for him at the moment.

Always been impressed when I've seen Mayo play. He's definitely got talent and his has the height. My worry would be he's still quite frail looking compared to the hammer throwers up front in most of the spfl teams. Obviously would like to see all 3 lads given a chance now and again if we are well ahead in games to see how they got on.

He's filled out a lot mate.

He's solid now.

It's clutching at straws.

We've not let any youth player go in recent memory who has went on and made it big elsewhere without being given a chance here.

Josh McPake was a superstar on here a year ago and he went out on loan and struggled to make an impact at Dundee.

If any of the guys in our youth team are genuinely better than players in front of them they will eventually come through and make it.
Fair points.

Im not suggesting for a minute any of them. What I do know is playing a 16/17 year old out of position in every game he plays for us including away to poets goes a long way to stopping him reaching anywhere near his potential.

That applies for any young player never mind one that was tipped to be the next Wayne Rooney.

Any player worth their salt who has the mentality to play for us, comes in and grabs the chance that they've been given. They don't make excuses. If he isn't good enough to play cm then he shoulda thanked his lucky stars that we still found a way to give him a game.

We also handed him the number 10 shirt FFS. Fleck had his chance at Rangers and didn't do enough. A decade down the line, he is a class act but he has come nowhere near fulfilling his potential and that's not Rangers' fault.

Any player worth their salt who has the mentality to play for us, comes in and grabs the chance that they've been given. They don't make excuses. If he isn't good enough to play cm then he shoulda thanked his lucky stars that we still found a way to give him a game.

We also handed him the number 10 shirt FFS. Fleck had his chance at Rangers and didn't do enough. A decade down the line, he is a class act but he has come nowhere near fulfilling his potential and that's not Rangers' fault.

LOL

I doubt Fleck used this excuse, it is just common sense. He was tipped to be the next best thing in Scotland possibly ever and was then brought in as a 16 year old to play a position he had never played.

It’s all about trying to strike that balance.

We all want these guys to have wonderful careers for rangers, we want them to have lots of minutes next season but the reality is they will be stuck in the bench most weeks when they really need minutes to improve as players.

What’s the answer? No idea, I really hope they get a chance though.

LOL

I doubt Fleck used this excuse, it is just common sense. He was tipped to be the next best thing in Scotland possibly ever and was then brought in as a 16 year old to play a position he had never played.

I didn't say Fleck did use the excuse. More that good players with the right mentality would never use being a wee bit out of position as an excuse.

Guys who play the top level quite often start off playing different positions mate- the current European and English champions have a couple in their ranks who played different roles in the beginning I'm Trent and Henderson. Our own gaffer started out at right back and right mid in the first team. It happens often.

The good players grab their chance. Fleck didn't. He wasn't good enough to play centre mid at the time and Walters decision was vindicated in the championship.

First it is that we don't play them. Then its we do play them but out of position as if we take young goalkeepers and play them up front. It can even be good for a players development to play elsewhere. But no excuses. If they have it, they grab their chance.

I didn't say Fleck did use the excuse. More that good players with the right mentality would never use being a wee bit out of position as an excuse.

Guys who play the top level quite often start off playing different positions mate- the current European and English champions have a couple in their ranks who played different roles in the beginning I'm Trent and Henderson. Our own gaffer started out at right back and right mid in the first team. It happens often.

The good players grab their chance. Fleck didn't. He wasn't good enough to play centre mid at the time and Walters decision was vindicated in the championship.

First it is that we don't play them. Then its we do play them but out of position as if we take young goalkeepers and play them up front. It can even be good for a players development to play elsewhere. But no excuses. If they have it, they grab their chance.

Playing John Fleck left wing is similar to playing Jordan Henderson left wing, can you show me where that has happened please? At 16/17 plus away to our biggest rivals.

If you honestly think Fleck got a fair crack at it then fair enough but not for me. Not even close.

Playing John Fleck left wing is similar to playing Jordan Henderson left wing, can you show me where that has happened please? At 16/17 plus away to our biggest rivals.

If you honestly think Fleck got a fair crack at it then fair enough but not for me. Not even close.

I gave you Liverpool's greatest ever centre midfielder starting his career at right mid and right back. Out of position is out of position mate. God, Paul Scholes, in his pomp, got played left mid England. Young players like Fleck need to grab their chance. He didn't. He was an attacking player who had played off the left before.

It didn't work out for him. He had a chance at Rangers but he had to do more especially when there were several players better than him in centre mid.

Instead of it being a good thing that he was trusted to play at Celtic park, it's now "he should've played another position?" What if he had to wait another year to get a crack in that position. Young players cannot be greedy. The chance comes and you must take it.

It's quite simple- as he has gotten older, he has matured and he has now found a deeper position that suits him.

Somewhat ironic that he has now found a position out of position from where he played for us as a youth no?

I gave you Liverpool's greatest ever centre midfielder starting his career at right mid and right back. Out of position is out of position mate. God, Paul Scholes, in his pomp, got played left mid England. Young players like Fleck need to grab their chance. He didn't. He was an attacking player who had played off the left before.

It didn't work out for him. He had a chance at Rangers but he had to do more especially when there were several players better than him in centre mid.

Instead of it being a good thing that he was trusted to play at Celtic park, it's now "he should've played another position?" What if he had to wait another year to get a crack in that position. Young players cannot be greedy. The chance comes and you must take it.

It's quite simple- as he has gotten older, he has matured and he has now found a deeper position that suits him.

Somewhat ironic that he has now found a position out of position from where he played for us as a youth no?

If you think an attacking midfielder dropping back a little is similar to firing him in as a young boy at left wing then I’m done with this conversation.

I will say it once again. He was rated for years as the best prospect Scotland had seen in a certain position, he finally gets up to the first time and gets stuck at a position he’s never played in as a teenager.

We then have people like yourself question why he never done it with us? cmon to %^*&

If you think an attacking midfielder dropping back a little is similar to firing him in as a young boy at left wing then I’m done with this conversation.

I will say it once again. He was rated for years as the best prospect Scotland had seen in a certain position, he finally gets up to the first time and gets stuck at a position he’s never played in as a teenager.

We then have people like yourself question why he never done it with us? cmon to %^*&

I'm questioning nothing. He was an attacking player who got played in an attacking position wider than normal for the first team and was given a chance. He had played wide left before which is something you are missing.

He played over 40 times for Rangers and didn't really do enough mate. That's the facts of it.

Don't you think it was good that we gave him his chance? Rather than wait a year or two to play him more central? Which would probably have never happened.

Football is littered with players who started out playing elsewhere just to get in the team. The top players don't let that chance slip away.

In any case, he has hardly went on to become a world star. It's taken him years to be a decent enough EPL player.

The facts are that we put trust in him, gave him his chance and it never worked out. One of those things.

Always been impressed when I've seen Mayo play. He's definitely got talent and his has the height. My worry would be he's still quite frail looking compared to the hammer throwers up front in most of the spfl teams. Obviously would like to see all 3 lads given a chance now and again if we are well ahead in games to see how they got on.

He's filled out a lot mate.

He's solid now.
I honestly think Mayo can step up to first team level.

Skooshed it at Partick Thistle, had their fans raving about him on Twitter. There’s a level of composure about him that you just can’t teach. Without bigging him up that much, I genuinely think he’s more intelligent than Katić in possession of the ball.

As MU says, from what I watched against Wrexham he looked the biggest guy physically on the park. Good height and build for centre back.

The question is do we let him further his development on loan or stay and be part of first team?

I think he’s more than capable of stepping up to be backup. But that could halt his development.

Back