Kanchelskis fancies us to go through

Recoba

Official Ticketer
BANK A WIN
Ex-Rangers star Andrei Kanchelskis reckons Ibrox side will be far too strong for Ufa in the Europa League

The former Ibrox ace started out in hmanagement career with the Russian side and led them from the country's third tier to the Premier League

EX-Rangers star Andrei Kanchelskis is ideally placed to assess their Europa League tie with FC Ufa having managed the Russians.

And he’s convinced Rangers will be too strong for Ufa and can book their place in the Group Stages of the competition.

TIMES NEWSPAPERS LTD
Andrei Kanchelskis in action for Rangers in 2001
Steven Gerrard’s side eased past Maribor this week and now travel to face the Bashkortostan side in the play-off round.

Kanchelskis signed for Rangers in 1998 and won two league titles, three Scottish Cups and a League Cup with the Ibrox side.

When he moved into coaching after he retired, he became the first ever manager of Ufa and helped them win promotion from the third tier of Russian football to their Premier League before going on to manage Jurmala in Latvia and then Solyaris Moscow.

And 49-year-old Kanchelskis – who was capped for the Soviet Union, the CIS and Russia – is convinced Rangers will be too strong for Ufa.

KEITH CAMPBELL - THE SUN GLASGOW
Kanchelskis at Ibrox last season
He said: “I would say the chances are 70 per cent in favour of Rangers and only 30 per cent for Ufa.

“I watched Ufa in their match in Luxembourg against Progres and they looked terrible. If they play like that against Rangers, they will lose heavily.

“Perhaps Ufa were tired, but they also looked naive tactically too. I couldn’t see what style they were attempting to play.

“In fairness, to Ufa, just getting to the this stage in their first season in European football is an achievement in itself.

“The first leg in Glasgow will see 50,000 fans at Ibrox and a full stadium will be a new experience for them.

“With Rangers, even when they were in the fourth division in Scotland, they were still getting around 30,000 fans every week.

“I had a great time both when I was a player in Glasgow and when I was manager of Ufa.

“So I will support both teams and hope for two great games of football. But I honestly think Rangers will comfortably win.”

Rangers are obviously still in his heart but and he has managed Ufa but he still seems to have given an impartial opinion...….Rangers will trounce them!
:):):)

Time hasn't been kind to him!

Holy sht, I saw that pic and thought "The UFA manager is fat" not realising its KanKan!!! From a fully fit footballer a few years ago to that, given the fact he has access to all the fitness facilities in the world is pretty bad.

Ufa are a level below both Osijek and Maribor. We should be fine but give our luck the past few years It’s not guaranteed.

They were dreadful against progress the game was like watching a friendly

Ufa are a level below both Osijek and Maribor. We should be fine but give our luck the past few years It’s not guaranteed.

That's when we would usually take our eye off the ball. Thankfully we now have a man in charge who knows what it's all about, is experienced at European football level, knows to respect each and every opposition, is a winner, a leader and will have us 100% focussed.

That’s not Kanchelskis surely ? The fat guy in the suit jacket ?

It is mate, when he came on the park at half time last season to do the rising stars draw! I sit just at the tunnel and couldn’t believe my eyes when the announcer called out his name!!

Produced one of the greatest moments in Scottish football history. Standing on the ball before picking out a cross...beautiful!

bf19bs.jpg

I remember him doing a twirl right in front of us in the main stand.

dnbpyh.gif

Having watched their games against Progres, we should beat them quite easily. I don’t even know if they were as good as Shkupi.

Kanchelskis seems well placed to make a judgement on both teams so hopefully he is right and we get through this one without too much fuss. Ideally we would kill the tie at Ibrox but don't want to be getting ahead of ourselves.

They beat Progres, we didn't (I know we're different now) so it depends on the perspective you wish to take.

I really think we're going to annihilate them at Ibrox. I would think that should be our tactic, score 4+ goals at Ibrox and rest a few lads ahead of the scum game

Clearly got his balls out to the FF curse and Kanchelskis is all aboard the value train of 8/11 with bet365 next week.

Just remember Victoria Zizkov. A team we were supposed to easily beat. The won 2-0 in Prague in first leg (could possibly have been more) and we ended up going out on away goals.

He had his moments but for me, he was the single biggest waste of money in that era.

We paid Fiorentina the guts of £5million and put him on a gold plated contract with every little in return.

At least we got some money back for Flo. This guy left on a free.

Last edited:
From what I seen of them against Progres I genuinely think Shkupi or whatever they were called looked similar level

Back