Keeping the foot on the Daily Record’s throat

mdingwall

Administrator
Keeping the foot on the Record’s throat

The problem with Rangers fans is that we don’t stay angry for long.

That’s a human problem which in many ways I’m happy we have - life goes on, it’s for enjoying, not wrapping yourself up in paranoia and hate and finding more and ludicrous things to be offended about.

The nutcases never really enjoy life, they don’t smell the flowers, their hearts aren’t filled with the simple joys of following your team, celebrating a goal, cursing a miss or wondering how good the new signing will be. They aren’t really football fans like us.

But, it’s also a wee bit of a problem.

You can tell already from the Daily Record that they are preparing the ground for a whitewash. The devil is in the detail.

Note that their tweet doesn’t specify how many journalists they have received complaints about, nor how many are staff or freelancers or if any have been suspended.

Their first priority will be to minimise the harm, to whittle down the numbers, put time between the complaint and any eventual action - effectively play for time and hope people forget.

There is a wee problem with that of course - Mr Edgar was employed for many years as a recruitment consultant and knows the ropes intimately - just a thought for the Record hierarchy to mull over1

Their problem is of course that their original attack on Heart & Hand set the bar so high and that Heart & Hand’s reply was so swift and effective. They demanded bodies, suspensions, sackings, etc. The age of most of the tweets they used as examples are also counter-productive to them, effectively they have set the bar so high that any tweet no matter how old or in what context, jocular or not, is now fair game.

I suspect they will throw the freelancers to the wolves and claim they were not employees. Then they will find and accept any old guff as an excuse - for instance, that “Hun” has only recently become offensive, etc, etc. The offenders they can’t concoct a free pass for will make a tearful declaration of sadness, undergo a training course and restart their careers as if nothing has happened.

Unless, of course, it isn’t allowed to slip away.

Sadly, part of our culture is arguing over fine details and getting ugly over it. Keep your eyes on the prize.

And the prize is the emasculation and destruction of the Daily Record as a anti-Rangers cesspit.

There won’t be a single knock out blow - it will be the death of a thousand cuts. Keep their hate fresh in the minds of others. It’s bad for business.

And this is where folks in business can play their part. If your company has advertising with them then you can raise the issue that it’s seen as an anti-Rangers and that money would be better spent elsewhere. Every business decision is arguable - moving your promotional budget elsewhere and telling them why would be a good move. Don't get arsey over what others are doing, do something yourself.

Give it a try.

I collated links of the offending tweets/ links to screenshots of the tweets from that giant daily record thread if people want it to streamline the process of writing complaints to their advertisers.

Slight issue is, if I just post it in here it will transform to embedded format which then makes it more time consuming for people to copy them into an email?

I need to go find the list of emails for those advertising in the DR from the same thread later today*.

FYI, my collection of links also includes some other links that provide context. E.g. to DEs initial response video. So there may be things you need to remove.

* if anyone has this quickly to hand i would be grateful if you post here. Or I will find it later. I am looking for the emails not twitter handles.

I think we get bang for the buck by reminding Reach PLC management team of what DR has been up to. The staff in question ultimately work for them.

Also Reach PLC have shareholders which many of us will be unwitting investors in.
Any of us who have private pensions for example could have investments in Reach PLC shares as part of diversification through the Institutional shareholders found here

Paul Sweeney thinks he’s weathered the storm - are we willing to continue the fight?
What is the update on him he was reported to PLP and NEC but heard zilch since

HnH suggested any concerned citixen should report these matters to there MSPs and MP too .

Has it been officially reported to the police ?

Now, I thought blatant Islamaphobia and sectarianism, highlighted the way it has been, was of immediate interest to the Police. Just like football fans singing in the street, was of interest to them.

Just like it was of interest to the BBC and several MSP's.

But it seems there has to be an "official complaint". Because according to the Times (London) the Police decline to say if an official complaint has been made.

So does anyone know if there has been an official complaint to the Police ? That would certainly keep the foot on the Record's throat.

Last edited:

That’s a human problem which in many ways I’m happy we have - life goes on, it’s for enjoying, not wrapping yourself up in paranoia and hate and finding more and ludicrous things to be offended about.

The nutcases never really enjoy life, they don’t smell the flowers, their hearts aren’t filled with the simple joys of following your team, celebrating a goal, cursing a miss or wondering how good the new signing will be. They aren’t really football fans like us.

You can tell already from the Daily Record that they are preparing the ground for a whitewash. The devil is in the detail.

Note that their tweet doesn’t specify how many journalists they have received complaints about, nor how many are staff or freelancers or if any have been suspended.

Their first priority will be to minimise the harm, to whittle down the numbers, put time between the complaint and any eventual action - effectively play for time and hope people forget.

There is a wee problem with that of course - Mr Edgar was employed for many years as a recruitment consultant and knows the ropes intimately - just a thought for the Record hierarchy to mull over1

Their problem is of course that their original attack on Heart & Hand set the bar so high and that Heart & Hand’s reply was so swift and effective. They demanded bodies, suspensions, sackings, etc. The age of most of the tweets they used as examples are also counter-productive to them, effectively they have set the bar so high that any tweet no matter how old or in what context, jocular or not, is now fair game.

I suspect they will throw the freelancers to the wolves and claim they were not employees. Then they will find and accept any old guff as an excuse - for instance, that “Hun” has only recently become offensive, etc, etc. The offenders they can’t concoct a free pass for will make a tearful declaration of sadness, undergo a training course and restart their careers as if nothing has happened.

Sadly, part of our culture is arguing over fine details and getting ugly over it. Keep your eyes on the prize.

And the prize is the emasculation and destruction of the Daily Record as a anti-Rangers cesspit.

There won’t be a single knock out blow - it will be the death of a thousand cuts. Keep their hate fresh in the minds of others. It’s bad for business.

And this is where folks in business can play their part. If your company has advertising with them then you can raise the issue that it’s seen as an anti-Rangers and that money would be better spent elsewhere. Every business decision is arguable - moving your promotional budget elsewhere and telling them why would be a good move. Don't get arsey over what others are doing, do something yourself.

Give it a try.

Superb post.
Never forgive, never forget.

Has it been officially reported to the police ?

Now, I thought blatant Islamaphobia and sectarianism, highlighted the way it has been, was of immediate interest to the Police. Just like football fans singing in the street, was of interest to them.

Just like it was of interest to the BBC and several MSP's.

But it seems there has to be an "official complaint". Because according to the Times (London) the Police decline to say if an official complaint has been made.

So does anyone know if there has been an official complaint to the Police ? That would certainly keep the foot on their throat.

What's this?

Couldn't agree more.

It's one thing to come on here and vent your disgust of the record and their behaviour but if you are in a position to actually do something productive then for god's sake do it. However small the contribution, however little a difference you think it will make, get involved and do it anyway.

In my humble opinion, the time has come to get organised. The fans need a more powerful voice. This is, unfortunately, where c1872 have failed us. We should have a new "fighting fund". With a lawyer on retainer and a pressure group, looking out for our interests and preventing the manifestation of the obvious double standards we see today.

Unfortunately this will never happen, but in my opinion. Holding both the media and parliament to account - whether legally or through collated evidence - is the only way to stem the flow of propaganda and get us the level playing field we deserve.

We only ask for parity.

The leaflets at Ibrox are a good idea. Not everyone, bothers with social media and especially older fellas who have had a routine for most of their life, like reading the dr.

What I will say about social media and I'm only suggesting this as a lot of my friends use facebook, but only that. I don't know wether that's being used to spread the word, but you'd be amazed at the amount of people who don't know the half of what's been going on.

I whole heartedly agree with everything that's going on, and I have been using emails to contact the suggestions made, ie advertising, sponsors and such, just to ramp it up.

But what I am not liking is the way some people who have changed their pic to HandH on social media and hitting other ppl under the guise of what is going on.

Stick to the ones mentioned, please. Don't use HandH for your own gain

100% spot on

Some questions that they have given us that we should be pressing them on aswell, and continously asking them that unveils more levels of corruption.

1. Why did the daily record deem themselves worthy of judge jury and executioner when it came to H&H podders and with this in mind, why is daily record not holding themselves up to the standards that they imposed on others?

2. As the DR is presenting itself as an anti racism, anti secterian, anti homophobic and islamophobic, sexist organisation and wants to kick all of this our of football - and more impotantly, scotland, why have they not inflicted the strictest of measures pending investigation, and how long is this investigation going to take? We have seen time and time again that when these situations come up, the culprits have been punished severely at the earliest opportunity of their identity being known - for example Rangers suspending the three charged with alledged criminal activity by Police Scotland last week , despite no court finding them guilty yet. - We can also question wether they agree that Rangers have done more to battle this type of vile behaviour than the DR, a question they will naturally refuse to answer but their ignorance would speak volumes and paint rangers in the best light.

3. As police Scotland refuses to comment on wether concerns have been raised about DR Employees being reported to them, why did they feel the need to publicly tweet regarding the alledged singing up town and accusing rangers players of secterian slurs, in a video that was later proven to be doctored? If we are all here for equality - why is there such an inequality regarding this?

We could also probably add a few questions to the SNP questioning why such prominent anti secterian figures like James Dornan haven't came out and condemned the actions of DR, and if the SNP have any comments on the situation and wether they condemn or encourage DR's actions.

Probably NIM need to be hammered aswell.

Probably more questions but we really need to hammer home the equality of both PS and DR, David's video was good but if it remains just a video then it serves no purpose as it will be quickly ignored and forgotten about. We need to keep asking and tweeting these questions to DR and PS until we get answers. Especially to the PS one.

Part one is done and they've given us more leads to look into and question - that's what the focus need to be on now. Answer their 'answers' with more questions and continue to do so until we get proper answers, equality and clarity.

I think H&H if possible should try and get Rangers into making a statement mentioning that they will be accepting the two of them into their anyone everyone programme and that Rangers encourage anyone else involved, no matter their profession or public stature is welcome to enrole in it to better themselves. Rangers shouldn't really get involved in this but I think a simple statement of this nature would hit home a solid point that can't really be ignored or turned against the club.

Better yet if the club sent a direct invitation to all involved - and if they refuse to join then it raises even more questions aswell.

Last edited:
maybe a statement from the club would help.
Something along the lines of, we note the investigation at the DR, until such time this is complete, and parity is ensured, RFC will not be engaging with any complaints re sectarianism etc against our fans.
Unless everyone is playing by the same rules, there are no rules.

I have hated bbc scotland and DR for many years and that increases with each passing day.

Singing 'If you hate the daily record, clap your hands' will take the whole support with us and will be very uncomfortable for DR and other journalists.
Do you really think that'll work? It will have zero effect on them.
Easiest way, STOP buying STOP clicking.

Something along the lines of, we note the investigation at the DR, until such time this is complete, and parity is ensured, RFC will not be engaging with any complaints re sectarianism etc against our fans.
Nah that makes us look bad and ignorant. "We won't deal with secterian issues brought to us because... you didn't" doesn't really go down well.

I do agree with the club making a statement but it should be offering them an invitation to their anyone everywhere program and that's it. A short dig to DR, back up H&H for joining the program and advertises the program for any and all bigots. Short sweet and to the point.

The club should not directly involve them in this spat as it will only end bad no matter what stance they take.

It's beneath the dignity of the club to comment on this.

In fact, it's wonderful watching the DR struggle with this issue and the club ignoring them.

I have hated bbc scotland and DR for many years and that increases with each passing day.

Singing 'If you hate the daily record, clap your hands' will take the whole support with us and will be very uncomfortable for DR and other journalists.
Agreed...2 nil up in Perth, it's only 90 seconds from 90 minutes worth
of support.

And, if it's popular, a second verse:
"If the Polis in this country are corrupt, clap your hands"

In my humble opinion, the time has come to get organised. The fans need a more powerful voice. This is, unfortunately, where c1872 have failed us. We should have a new "fighting fund". With a lawyer on retainer and a pressure group, looking out for our interests and preventing the manifestation of the obvious double standards we see today.

Unfortunately this will never happen, but in my opinion. Holding both the media and parliament to account - whether legally or through collated evidence - is the only way to stem the flow of propaganda and get us the level playing field we deserve.

We only ask for parity.
I agree. The mass turning of blind eyes when it suits those concerned has become absolutely disgusting. If you condemn a crime then that crime must be condemned universally, not just when it suits. A crime is a crime no matter who commits it. The problem, in my opinion, has emerged from this Scottish government. The administration was set up to govern the people of Scotland fairly. Unfortunately the SNP have used it to further their own agendas.
Now, if the government can do it then why can’t everyone else? Or should that be what they are told to do? That is why we see PS, so called journalists and everyone else involved doing what they want. It’s been open season on Rangers for a long time and as we have seen with he moronic behaviour from some DR employees, it has led to them shooting themselves in the foot.
The turning of blind eyes to crimes by anyone is unacceptable! Either condone or condemn.
Then again, it’s often easier to cower away from the truth.

Last edited:

We only ask for parity.
Is there not a lawyer in the fanbase who could help organise this. Don’t need to spearhead it. Just provide advice and guidance on how to implement it.

Be interesting if each bear went to their local newsagent and found out how many of these rhags that they sell each day. I think the volumes would be laughably small.

Whilst it’d be good if we could influence any shopkeeper to not order in this shitwipe, I doubt we would have much success. Undoubtedly the shop would still want to provide the paper to the ignorant amongst us.

I think we get bang for the buck by reminding Reach PLC management team of what DR has been up to. The staff in question ultimately work for them.

Also Reach PLC have shareholders which many of us will be unwitting investors in.
Any of us who have private pensions for example could have investments in Reach PLC shares as part of diversification through the Institutional shareholders found here

It wouldnt do any harm to get in touch with your plan advisor to see if there is any way you can block them investing in a "unethical business" or at least threatening to transfer your plan if they can't - on a 121 basis that answer will at best be fudgy but if enough people do it then it will gain traction with regional/naional managers if hey are viewed as becoming a liability.

Money or more to the point losing it,is the bottom line that will drive action here.

A lot to be said about contacting advertisers asking why they are happy to be associated with a publication with their views. You get some of their big hitters to pull and they will be bang in trouble guaranteed - and in my experience there is every chance that will happen, worst case they will drive down order values to retain the business thus impacting their incomes.

It's beneath the dignity of the club to comment on this.

In fact, it's wonderful watching the DR struggle with this issue and the club ignoring them.
I’m from a print background . The record weren’t far off a million daily copies in their heyday . Now struggling to shift 60k a day . Everyone in the trade knows they are on the way out and it’s only a matter of time . Printers I feel for who know perhaps two or three years at best before the presses are halted for good . They know who is to blame and as much as I feel for ordinary people still employed by them , the “ paper “ has brought it all on themselves .

Give it a try.
Suppose the other area is Advertisers revenue, the more we let them know what the DR stands for and their falling sales, full circle less revenue,Slow Death!

What is the update on him he was reported to PLP and NEC but heard zilch since

HnH suggested any concerned citixen should report these matters to there MSPs and MP too .
The Labour Party's Governance and Legal Unit (GLU) works at glacial pace.

Don't either assume they're ignoring you or have done nothing. They're working through a backlog of politically sectarian complaints at the moment.

I would suggest FF admin such as yourself should add "dailyrecord" (one word) to the swear filter on this site, therefore nullifying the ability to post links to their site.

If anything needs to be posted on here from there, a simple screenshot as an image would do the trick without giving them hundreds of hits.

We should be more vociferous about..... Call it out...... Get them identified fully and their association with terrorist organisations..... Together with their association with a Glasgow football club.

This is a big factor IMO.

The general public need to find out the truth about these people. It’s sordid.

And whether there is truth in the rumours about funding going to them from SNP / Scottish Government.

Subscribed myself this morning.

Lost my job due to pandemic and it was Rangers last season that kept me going.

Then the pattern of each victory we had was followed by a week of vilification from renowned Rangers-haters given platforms in SMSM and Scottish Parliament.

This is the first sign of a fightback that has gained the slightest traction and it gets my support. All I want is fairness for all. Everyone held to the same standard. I don't want power over anyone else. Whatever that even means.

Do you really think that'll work? It will have zero effect on them.
Easiest way, STOP buying STOP clicking.
People who post links from smsm on here should get a ban. It should be left to admin if they feel there is something that’s worthwhile or that we should be made aware of.

We need to hit them where it hurts and by stop giving them hits online this would be part of it. It would be impossible to say how many posters on here buy a DR or look online but it would be great for the advertisers to see another decline that was directly related to the papers treatment of heart and hand.

Back