Kevin Keegan and the Hamburg kit mystery

Colour clash and they had to borrow from opposition? Kit man forgot to pack shorts and socks? Transitioning from adidas to umbro or vice versa and weren't given enough kit?

If I recall correctly they had different manufacturers for home and away strips sure it was Adidas and Umbro so probably just a mash up of strips.

28772-zoom.jpg

Apologies, it was the top

Kevin keegan told me I had great feet. Doing a wee training drill left foot right foot left foot right foot.

Probably the highlight if my footballing career

Like Cryuff wearing 2 stripe adidas tops for Holland as he was sponsored by Puma(?)
Cryuff had a personal sponsorship with Puma boots and Cryuff being Cryuff refused to play in Adidas gear.
The Dutch FA obviously desperate for him to play accomadated him by allowing him to play in gear with only 2 stripes instead of the 3 stripe brand mark of Adidas.

You didn’t have your troubles to seek when Johann was around. Sounded like he was a real pain in the arse.

Cryuff had a personal sponsorship with Puma boots and Cryuff being Cryuff refused to play in Adidas gear.
The Dutch FA obviously desperate for him to play accomadated him by allowing him to play in gear with only 2 stripes instead of the 3 stripe brand mark of Adidas.

You didn’t have your troubles to seek when Johann was around. Sounded like he was a real pain in the arse.
I was going to post the same mate. Well put.

Big Peter McCloy did similar. He wore Umbro shorts but had an Uhlsport top.

Good story about that in the Rangers Shirt book about how McCloy liked wearing that shirt which he got through his sports shop and wore it until Umbro complained and he got a rollicking from Jock Wallace.

Kevin keegan told me I had great feet. Doing a wee training drill left foot right foot left foot right foot.

Probably the highlight if my footballing career

That's a tough call...not. Could you not just say ' Excuse me Mr Keegan...and boot him in the sacks.

Just for training purposes of course.

Umbro and Adidas had mutual distribution deals at one point. It ended around 1980.

It’s why we had Adidas tracksuits and gazelles supplied in 1972 despite wearing Umbro produced kit.

Back