Kinning Park Remembered

Saltcoatsblu

Taken from the Coventry C friendly programme 25/7/20

<a href="https://ibb.co/C515G1B">

<a href="https://ibb.co/0JZ4Bjv">

<a href="https://ibb.co/cQXvGGr">

<a href="https://ibb.co/y6yxk01">

<a href="https://ibb.co/n00B2Bj">

Brilliant post, Saltcoatsblu. As a KP boy myself - brought up in Scotland St, between Cornwall St and Lambhill St - I've always taken an interest in the club's KP years. The primary school I went to was actually on the site of Rangers KP ground. Over the years, I've collected a few photos myself.

NVt5KCD.png

GYZwgsW.png

3dGAb8B.png

DIky2YM.png

We5p4pr.png

Great read the company I served my apprenticeship with were based in K P
Admiral Street, so I have a bit of an affinity with the area

Thanks for posting, interesting stuff.

Fitting that an area that was pivotal in our history is such a strong Rangers area to this day.

Brilliant post, Saltcoatsblu. As a KP boy myself - brought up in Scotland St, between Cornwall St and Lambhill St - I've always taken an interest in the club's KP years. The primary school I went to was actually on the site of Rangers KP ground. Over the years, I've collected a few photos myself.

NVt5KCD.png

GYZwgsW.png

3dGAb8B.png

DIky2YM.png

We5p4pr.png
Brilliant post, I also went to lambhill st primary when I lived in Portman st. We were well aware that the school was once the Rangers ground and took great pride in playing football behind the school

NVt5KCD.png

GYZwgsW.png

3dGAb8B.png

DIky2YM.png

We5p4pr.png

looking up some of those addresses, 21-23 Renfield Street must have been massive.

I’m sure my great-grandparents were married in Kinning Park Church, I must dig out my ancestry records to recall where they lived.
It gives me a wee glow to think my great-grandfather probably watched the fledgling Rangers, and the baton had been passed to every generation since.

Brilliant stuff and i remember trawling dozens of old maps online, and cannot find a single one that shows the ground

This is the location offer Kinning Park ground from around the 50s. What you can see is Lambhill School where the ground was. Also in the picture you can see the KP church.

Gt grandfather used to live in Broomhall Street at that time. The map is from the 1920s and wrongly has it as Broomhill.
I was brought up in the 60s in Vermont St but the map from the 20s is spelt Vermount St maybe later day name updates?

Brilliant post as a lot of my ancestors lived and were born in Kinning Park . It was a travesty what they did to Kinning Park and the social cleansing they did.

Brilliant. I'm the proud offspring of Lambhill Street, KP. A place that was always fondly recalled and referred to.

This is the location offer Kinning Park ground from around the 50s. What you can see is Lambhill School where the ground was. Also in the picture you can see the KP church.

I attended that school briefly in the early 70's as part of a relocation from Kinning Park Primary (top centre/right of pic) to Lorne St
Are you getting the name mixed up with the secondary School on Lambhill street which would be just out of the top left of pic and is now a care home?

I'm originally from Tower Street. Despite only living there for the first 12yrs of my 56, I'll always be proud to be from KP. Drank there most of my life till I emigrated mind you..

Last edited:
I attended that school briefly in the early 70's as part of a relocation from Kinning Park Primary (top centre/right of pic) to Lorne St
Are you getting the name mixed up with the secondary School on Lambhill street which would be just out of the top left of pic and is now a care home?

I'm originally from Tower Street. Despite only living there for the first 12yrs of my 56, I'll always be proud to be from KP. Drank there most of my life till I emigrated mind you..
I’ll be wrong about the school name (I was trying to name it off the top of my head).

I attended the school between 1957-62. Strangely although it wasn't on lambhill st it was called lambhill primary. I then went to kinning park secondary in lambhill st

I attended the school between 1957-62. Strangely although it wasn't on lambhill st it was called lambhill primary. I then went to kinning park secondary in lambhill st

I lived across from the Secondary School, first close on Tower St, up above the Double A pub on the corner. I have vague memories of pupils attending the high school which must have closed late 60's early 70's.
Despite my mother being from KP and my dad from Plantation and like most from these areas they were from Rangers supporting families I never knew of Rangers Kinning Park connection until I was an adult. Nice to know I attended a school right on the very ground where the early Rangers played.

I lived across from the Secondary School, first close on Tower St, up above the Double A pub on the corner. I have vague memories of pupils attending the high school which must have closed late 60's early 70's.
Despite my mother being from KP and my dad from Plantation and like most from these areas they were from Rangers supporting families I never knew of Rangers Kinning Park connection until I was an adult. Nice to know I attended a school right on the very ground where the early Rangers played.
Yes, as I said in an earlier post, we knew our school was on the same ground as The Rangers old stadium, and were thrilled to play behind the school. I lived in Portman st then but later moved to Eaglesham st in plantation. I attended KP secondary till I left school in 1965.

Back