Kostic and their goal

There has been similar poor defending from that area of the pitch this season. There seemed no reason as to why Goldson didn’t fancy blocking that cross apart from the fact it was on his not so favoured right foot. A preventable goal scored which cost us in the end.

There has been similar poor defending from that area of the pitch this season. There seemed no reason as to why Goldson didn’t fancy blocking that cross apart from the fact it was on his not so favoured right foot. A preventable goal scored which cost us in the end.
Goldson is right footed.

I took a coaching badge years ago and an instructor who was a Pro Level put on a session on “Attacking from the flanks”.

Looking back at the goal last night all the main points leading to the goal were covered that day by the guy putting on the session.
1. Low hard cross to the top of six yard box.
2. Late direct run and get between defenders.
3. Attacker get first touch on ball.
4. Cause confusion and indecision between keeper and defenders.

Although we were at fault I think it was a well worked goal and it had probably been worked on the training pitch quite a lot by the Germans.
You can see from that screenshot that Borre created a big space between the CBs to run into too by not being drawn over and then waiting till the last moment to sprint towards the cross and get a touch on it.

There was 3 or 4 folk at fault for the goal but Goldson thought Bassey had it and Bassey thought Goldson had it

It got worse each time I seen it on the screens on the replay

Bassey is doing a good job overall but he’s still too raw for me to be relied on and trusted every game. Not his fault as I know injury to Helander (twice) and also Balogun means he’s a starter thrown in but he’s got so much more developing to do for me

Not a chance in hell Goldson should leave that even if he thinks Bassey has it covered.

Not a chance in hell Goldson should leave that even if he thinks Bassey has it covered.
Another crucial part of defending a cross to the near post is communication from keeper ie watch runner, win the ball, away .

We’ll probably never know but Goodson may have needed some verbal help from either MacGregor or Bassey.

The guy has been an absolute rock for our club.

Have said this a million times, Goldson & Tav won’t be fully appreciated by a huge amount of our support until they are gone.

Personally I hope Tav & Goldson have many years left at the club.
Goldson literally has weeks left on his deal, I would be shocked if he signed an extension as it would indicate not many clubs are interested in him with having to give him a big bosman wage.

Every club has to move on & replace players, key ones or otherwise. Our support has a weird fixation with holding onto players especially when it’s pretty obvious they don’t want to be there.

Goldson needs to move on now in my opinion. He's not let us down but he appears to have made a decision not to extend his contract, if he was he'd have done it by now. Let him go, hes won us 55 and been a rock to get us to Seville but time to go.

I thought to myself just before they scored that Scott Wright looked a bit tired at that point. Overall I thought he was one of our best players in the way that he was trying to take it to them.

I get the need to have all our players entering the final year of their contracts to resign but it could be these players have already refused extensions and are actively looking to move on in the summer or are perfectly hapoy to ser out their contracts ala Goldson and make big bucks next summer. As a club not awash with money we cannot afford to put 2, 3 or 4 players, each earning in excess of £1m per year, on the bench for a full season.
Do you really think any of those players would be willing to train with the kids for at least a year just to be able to see out their contacts and leave for free? Kent, Aribo, Kamara and Alfie are at the stage of their career where a year out of the shop window training with the kids would damage their development/form and their prospects of a big move and they know it.
I know the club won’t do it with all 4 but if they don’t we’re looking at £35M worth of talent walking out the door next year, in addition to the £8M(Goldson) this year and that’s unsustainable for us as a club.

Trying to console myself by saying the goal was coming anyway. They battered us after we scored, Kamada should’ve scored a couple of mins earlier

Do you really think any of those players would be willing to train with the kids for at least a year just to be able to see out their contacts and leave for free? Kent, Aribo, Kamara and Alfie are at the stage of their career where a year out of the shop window training with the kids would damage their development/form and their prospects of a big move and they know it.
I know the club won’t do it with all 4 but if they don’t we’re looking at £35M worth of talent walking out the door next year, in addition to the £8M(Goldson) this year and that’s unsustainable for us as a club.

No I don't think the club would do that but it is the only threat they have if these players refuse new contracts.

The players have all the power and I don't blame Ross Wilson for this situatiin. I find it difficult to imagine the players have not already been offered new contrscts months ago but turned them down.

As you say it is a big concern financially, we cannot afford the revenue loss if players sit tight.

There is a lot of talk today of rumours of big clubs expressing interest in Calvin Bassey. The fees being qouoted, under £10m, are laughable. Perhaps players with only 12 months left on their contracts means we don't receive the true value for them. However Bassey has 2 years left and we should be demanding at least £20m for him. If we can get him to extend his contract he will break the Scottish transfer record whenever he is eventually sold.

Really , I don’t think so , if we are down to the bare bones and Wright is all we have well heaven help us .

Sakala would have been a far better option wide right or lowry . Wright and kamara spent the whole game chasing shadows and letting people run off them

Back