Lafferty over Defoe in that formation

ShotaShuffle

Or at least both together

Lost count ofthe amount of times we fired high balls or balls at waist height to Defoe who was completely isolated.

That is bordering on negligence asking the players to play that system.

If we were going to play this system we shouldve started Lafferty there and had Defoe playing off him.

After 20 mins today I knew how the rest of the match would pan out. We played into their hands.

Playing those players in that formation today was criminal.

None of the midfield 3 the type to get in front of the ball and get in the box.
A lone striker who us a penalty box player and can't hold it up.
No height middle to front so direct passes get picked off.

We would struggle anyway without Morelis and Arfield. But playing that eleven in a 4-3-3 was borderline insane.

Lafferty was poor again. Yes, he made himself a nuisance but there was little quality to his play. His finishing and decision-making left a lot to be desired.

Lafferty was crap when he had his chance earlier in the league played against hamilton and livingston up top himself and failed to score.

Lafferty needs games, to bring him in cold does the team or him no favours. Play him with Dafoe, it couldn’t be worse than what we witnessed today.

I have commented on thread before killie away game that Defoe isn’t suited to the one up top role doesn’t link the play up enough or win fouls to get us up the park, the dirty side that is needed in the role. A would have started lafferty or as suggested both up top. Lafferty should have been on earlier today.Doesn’t help right enough no midfielders make runs to go beyond the strikers.

Lafferty isn't a target man either. He's 7 foot tall but can't win a header.

We are utterly lost without Morelos because no one in the team is anywhere near his level.

Agree with the OP if we play 1 up front that player needs to have some presence and mobility. Defoe at this stage of his career is a penalty box striker.

Lafferty has to be ahead of Candeias; he holds the ball very well, and he does have ability. I'm not a fan of Candeias; I appreciate his attitude etc, but not as a player. We need to possess the ball better, and be more subtle in terms of breaking defences. What we're doing with Lafferty is giving him some sort of probation to prove himself, but the manager has to trust him more, and persist with him if need be; he is far better than Candeias in terms of what we need because at times we are too naive and predictable going forward. In saying all that, losing three players such as Morelos, Jack, and Arfield is huge and we can"t overlook that either.

If Gerrard is determined to play the same system without the player it was practically made for in Morelos then the next best thing we have is Lafferty.

If he is determined to play Defoe then the system has to change.

Agree defoe is like an under 15 in these games. Completely ragdolled and dominated.

If Gerrard is determined to play the same system without the player it was practically made for in Morelos then the next best thing we have is Lafferty.

If he is determined to play Defoe then the system has to change.

If he persists with Defoe in that position then Im seriously questioning Gerrard

Defoe is a finisher, a penalty box player. That shit-show today wasn't anything to do with him. It wasn't the CBs who end up with the creative buck passed onto them. It was our usual fannying about, our cowardice, our lack of bravery on the ball, our lack of aggression, our turn it inside or pass it back that meant that any time the ball was near JD he had no space. Why is Kent refusing to get down the wing? Why did Middleton not do what he's good at? Does Tav not understand that him and Candeias playing 'after you, Claude' is counter-productive.
The manager, finally, came out and said when we lack - leadership.

Not saying for one second he’s Rangers class, or that we should sign him...
But their number 9 was the best player on the park...
Fighting for absolutely everything

I said Lafferty should have started on Saturday and I second it today

Not saying for one second he’s Rangers class, or that we should sign him...
But their number 9 was the best player on the park...
Fighting for absolutely everything

Alston made a difference when he came on for them.

The guy that replaced Goss.

Always thought he looked a very decent player.

Defoe up top as a lone striker doesn’t work - it’s the manager who is to blame Nobody else. Alfredo will be suspended again this season and we will keep falling short if Gerrard cannot see past Defoe in this role.

I'm surprised at the lack of judgement / faith that has stopped Lafferty playing in one of the wider roles. Lafferty and Kent either side of Defoe in times without Morelos surely must be considered to give us an outlet and chance to build

The long diagonal to a relatively small man against a rather large man seems to be our tactic.
You’d think with simple logic applied we would at least use a player with similar dimensions to his opponent, but, sadly no.
I have nothing against Tav but when he is; the target, the outball, taking every throw in (and sometimes slowing the game down), taking every free kick (without scoring 1 in quite some time), and taking every penatly (bar 1) something’s a miss.

anytime we have asked Lafferty to step up , he fails to do so . a back-up striker must do the business when he gets the chance .

he wasn't that great before and he's not that great now .

anytime we have asked Lafferty to step up , he fails to do so . a back-up striker must do the business when he gets the chance .

he wasn't that great before and he's not that great now .

The 2 of them together from the start was the way to play yesterday.
First 10 minutes and after Lafferty came on was our best spells in a turgid display.

Lafferty would be one of the first out the door for me in the summer. Has had chances and not taken them. Would rather have Hardie in the squad than him.

Lafferty has done nothing to warrant a start. He shouldn't even have been brought back - many predicted how it would pan out for him.

It's not Defoe's fault we lack a system that struggles to break down the opposition and resorts to long ball garbage. Honestly, smashing it up to a 5ft 7' penalty box striker is just pathetic football.

We never got what we needed in January.

Back