Larry Lloyd dead

An old style centre half who took no prisoners. He won two European Cups with Nottingham Forest back in the day when defenders were allowed to get away with a lot of very brutal 'tackling' that would not be tolerated in today's game. His central defence partner was Kenny Burns who was a youngster in our reserve team at the start of his career. If anything, Burns was harder than Lloyd. They must have been a nightmare to play against. Larry Lloyd was a player who will be remembered by football fans of my generation. RIP Larry Lloyd.

Sad news.

I can remember being puzzled at the time when Liverpool let him go, but two European Cup winning medals with Forest suggests it was a good move.

All the names I remember growing up with seem to be departing at an increasing pace.

:(

Did'nt realise he was at Liverpool, i recognise him as part of that fantastic Forest team winning the league then which seemed beyond belief the European Cup.
So many of that Forest team are recognisable managed by a legend.
Football really was magical back then as opposed to what you get today.
RIP LL.

Last edited:
An old style centre half who took no prisoners. He won two European Cups with Nottingham Forest back in the day when defenders were allowed to get away with a lot of very brutal 'tackling' that would not be tolerated in today's game. His central defence partner was Kenny Burns who was a youngster in our reserve team at the start of his career. If anything, Burns was harder than Lloyd. They must have been a nightmare to play against. Larry Lloyd was a player who will be remembered by football fans of my generation. RIP Larry Lloyd.
Brilliantly put jim, my thoughts exactly.

And funnily enough both him and Kenny Burns could actually play football, which Clough knew and encouraged. But bloody hell, as hard defenders, fantastic.

Sad news . Think most people of my age remember that Forest team. The perfect mix of skill, grit and raw determination . I preferred football then when you could name 1-11 of every English first division team and the same for every Scottish top team. Every Centre Forward was as hard as every Centre Half.

Before my time but remember Souness name checking him and Kenny burns in one of our end of season videos in his tenure. He said when he played for Liverpool they played Forest off the park but often came away with nothing because of how good their defence was and wanted to build that type of foundation at Rangers.

Remember him well, at both Liverpool and Forest. Typical no-nonsense centre-half of that era, obviously good at what he did.

RIP.

Brian Clough knew a player and how to get the best out of him.

Larry Lloyd was a prime example of that. Liverpool showed him the door but two EC winners medals later Larry Lloyd showed them.

Proper centre half. RIP LL.

Larry Lloyd was a prime example of that. Liverpool showed him the door but two EC winners medals later Larry Lloyd showed them.

Cloughie knew how to set out a team better than anyone in that era. Larry Lloyd was part of that team, rest easy big man, great memories.

I take it he replaced Ron Yeats, then sold and replaced by Phil Thompson and whoelse, Tommy Smith, did Tommy go back to centre half ?

I take it he replaced Ron Yeats, then sold and replaced by Phil Thompson and whoelse, Tommy Smith, did Tommy go back to centre half ?
Won the league and UEFA Cup with Liverpool in 1973 and played in every single game that season, then due to injury the following season was replaced by Phil Thompson. Went on to win the European Cup twice with Forest in 1979 and 1980. Proper centre half, partnered of course by Rangers supporter Kenny Burns, another proper centre half.

Last edited:
I wish that I had kept all my old ‘football cards’, remember collecting them faithfully every year, but cannot recall whatever happened to the old ones. Had Larry Lloyd many a time. Rest in peace big man.

A tremendous defender who got his just rewards with two EC medals. You have to say though that as Liverpool’s central defence in the same era was Yeats, Hughes, Smith, Thompson, then eventually Lawrenson and Hansen, you can probably see why they let him go :)

RIP big Larry.

Won the league and UEFA Cup with Liverpool in 1973 and played in every single game that season, then due to injury the following season was replaced by Phil Thompson. Went on to win the European Cup twice with Forest in 1979 and 1980. Proper centre half, partnered of course by Rangers supporter Kenny Burns, another proper centre half.
I remember in the second EC final against Hamburg Kenny Burns went through the back of Kevin Keegan Brian Clough shouted "Kenneth" and then stuck his thumb up . Towards the end of his career he started a car radiator repair business with another Forest player Dave Needham in an industrial unit right next to where I was working at the time around 1982 RIP Larry Lloyd

Sad news a big no nonsense centre half who took no prisoners
Don’t make him like that anymore

RIP Sir

Sad news and what a great player he was , loved that Forrest team back in the day.

RIP big man, time to hand the washing machine back.

Would have to disagree. Peter Taylor knew a player and how to get the best out of him.
Cloughie knew how to set them up as a team & motivate them!

Larry Lloyd was great old fashioned CH.

I believe in Miracles on Amazon is a terrific documentary on Forest under Clough and Taylor. Larry Lloyd features a few times in that. They thought he was a big head when he came in to Forest. Some tackles I’ve seen him make. Jesus no fear 100% committed man or ball or even both made not a blind bit of difference.

Sad times for good centre half and makes one feel old when I think back and remember seeing him play, Burns & Lloyd very much reminds me of Forsyth & Jackson, RIP Larry.

Sad news on Larry Lloyd.

I seen him play at Anfield for Liverpool in the early ‘70s . It looked like he would be there for years but he seemed to fall out of favour for some reason. Maybe he wasn’t mobile enough for their style?

He certainly turned his career around at Forest.

Another player couldn’t exist in this modern sterile version of today’s game.
Football is all the worst for it.

Back