Last night's possession stats

Theresa May

Currently arguing with a couple of tims re last night. Possession stats on both Sky and BBC (I know) state 59% possession for Stranraer...surely that's bullshit?

I'd hazard a guess at 70% possession to Rangers.

So what they saying Stranraer passed the ball around us all night but couldn't penetrate our defence,at 2-0 it doesn't matter how long you keep the ball not to me anyway.

The longer the scum still thing we’re shyte the better. They choose to not believe their own eyes in the last two games fine.

i’m guessing one daft bastard is providing the possession stats to everycant coz sporting life says the same. 59% with not one single attempted shot.

Last edited:
When the keeper has the ball for goal kicks, free kicks etc is that counted? If so the possession stats are probably correct!

It’s the goalies goal kicks. If he had 12 goal kicks in the first half then there is probably about 12 minutes of Stranraer possession as it took him about 1 minute to kick each one from the moment the ball went out of play.

It was the same numbers on Sporting Life. They must all be getting this from the same source.

They also had our hone win v Kilmarnock in December at 50%, our away win at Hibs at 50%, and our away win at Motherwell 48%-52%. Looks like prior to December the numbers seem accurate but since then they have gone out of whack. Maybe somebody new in the job ?

When the keeper has the ball for goal kicks, free kicks etc is that counted? If so the possession stats are probably correct!

the ball is out of play at those times so shouldn’t count. Would certainly boost their stats if so tho, keeper was at it after 15 mins. :))

Currently arguing with a couple of tims re last night. Possession stats on both Sky and BBC (I know) state 59% possession for Stranraer...surely that's bullshit?

Was consistently around 80/20 on Skybet

I wonder if whatever organisation supplied the info just had a typo and flipped the figures. Even 59% feels too low for us but might be believable with the Keeper time wasting.

the ball is out of play at those times so shouldn’t count. Would certainly boost their stats if so tho, keeper was at it after 15 mins. :))
Was even before 15. He must have panicked after 25 mins when he realised he had no water left to drink at every single goal kick!

Flashscores also showing as 59% Stranraer. Some statto somewhere has cocked up and they're all just copying blindly.

CnRYsFD.jpg

What’s the difference between a free kick and a foul? They had more free kicks and Alfie wisnae even playing.

I wonder if whatever organisation supplied the info just had a typo and flipped the figures. Even 59% feels too low for us but might be believable with the Keeper time wasting.

It's not the first time the BBC have listed bizarre negative percentages for us this season in games we've completely dominated the play in.

I don’t talk to mentally challengeds in my work about Rangers (or Celtic). Why do you give the tiniest of fucks what they think our possession against Stranraer was?

I don’t talk to mentally challengeds in my work about Rangers (or Celtic). Why do you give the tiniest of fucks what they think our possession against Stranraer was?

Sorry mate, won't happen again. You still running your staunch classes down the YMCA? PM me when the waiting list dies down a bit, would be interested in attending.

Not the first time this has happened ,it's not accidental , whoever is doing it ,is deliberately falsifying the figures. No doubt they think it is a laugh. If I was in charge of the company producing this I would be removing that person from their job .

Not the first time this has happened ,it's not accidental , whoever is doing it ,is deliberately falsifying the figures. No doubt they think it is a laugh. If I was in charge of the company producing this I would be removing that person from their job .

The foul count in one of recent away games was even. It was Hibs or Aberdeen or possibly both. We were kicked off the park, and we had loads of free kicks. Not according to the BBC.

Sorry mate, won't happen again. You still running your staunch classes down the YMCA? PM me when the waiting list dies down a bit, would be interested in attending.
I don’t play the staunch game. The staunch thing would be to say I don’t talk to them at all.

My point was, why do you bother engaging with them if you get bogged down in arguments about our possession stats against League One opposition?

I think the clue is in this bit, and them using the BBC for back up there argument says it all really.....

I'm convinced they just write anything down, all for a laugh because they just don't care. Roll on to 55 and see who has the last laugh

Never really fully understood how possession stats are worked out but would seem like there isn't any one official method considering the variation I've seen from us having between 40-80% against Stranraer

It‘s the way possession is calculated now.
If say Tav has the ball and plays a cross field pass to Barisic, to fans that’s us in possession but to the stat guys the possession count stops when Tav plays the ball and starts again when Barisic receives it.
If an opposition player stands with the ball for 5 seconds not doing anything then he will have a higher percentage of possession than we would have with a few players passing the ball in the same time frame.

It‘s the way possession is calculated now.
If say Tav has the ball and plays a cross field pass to Barisic, to fans that’s us in possession but to the stat guys the possession count stops when Tav plays the ball and starts again when Barisic receives it.
If an opposition player stands with the ball for 5 seconds not doing anything then he will have a higher percentage of possession than we would have with a few players passing the ball in the same time frame.

Sounds like it is now a pointless stat.

Back