Last season's squad - where are they now?

Gaz030191

I thought I'd use the international break to see where some of our players from last season have ended up and how they're getting on with their new clubs. I'm only focussing on players who had some sort of impact last season, so missing out the likes of Wallace and Hodson who moved in the Summer but had little impact last year, or the youth players who didn't see much game time despite being around the squad.

Kyle Lafferty - Having joined Sarpsborg 08 in the Norwegian league over the summer, he's struggled to get any game times. Despite being in a relegation battle Lafferty has only manager 3 starts, 1 assist and 0 goals.

Lassana Coulibaly - Coulibally has also failed to make his mark since his loan spell ended. He is now out on loan at Cercle Brugge and also only has 4 appearances for the club. Considering how his Rangers career started it's a shame the way it fizzed out.

Ovie Ejaria - After leaving Rangers in January, Ejaria ended up at Reading, where he must have impressed as he has returned to Reading on loan at the start of this season, he's made 24 appearances and scored 3 goals, and general feeling on message boards it they are delighted to have him back.

Daniel Candeias - Candeias has made 7 appearances in Turkey for his new side Genclerbirligi, and has one assist but is yet to score a goal. 7 games in to the season Genclerbirligi are still looking for their first win and are sitting 2nd bottom of the league in the relegation zone.

Joe Worrall - Having returned to Nottingham he has played in 10 of their 11 league games and as part of the team who put Derby out of the cup. They're currently 2nd in the championship having conceded only 9 goals.

Umar Sadiq - He may have had a terrible time and looked clueless for most of his rangers loan, but currently at Partizan he has scored 8 goals in 16 games. 3 in the Europa league and 5 in the league. Could very well just be a case of a player who was never cut out for Scottish football.

Glenn Middleton - He is of course on loan at hibs, and despite them struggling so far this season he hasn't seen as much time as we'd have hoped. Despite looking a threat when he's came on he's only been involved in 5 games this season.
Edit : I stand corrected on this one. As the post below shows he's actually started 5 games and had 2 further sub appearances.

-------------------------------------------

When you look at who we have replaced these guys with, I don't think we're worse off in any positions, but it's interesting to see what they're all doing.

Last edited:
I thought I'd use the international break to see where some of our players from last season have ended up and how they're getting on with their new clubs. I'm only focussing on players who had some sort of impact last season, so missing out the likes of Wallace and Hodson who moved in the Summer but had little impact last year, or the youth players who didn't see much game time despite being around the squad.

Kyle Lafferty - Having joined Sarpsborg 08 in the Norwegian league over the summer, he's struggled to get any game times. Despite being in a relegation battle Lafferty has only manager 3 starts, 1 assist and 0 goals.

Lassana Coulibaly - Coulibally has also failed to make his mark since his loan spell ended. He is now out on loan at Cercle Brugge and also only has 4 appearances for the club. Considering how his Rangers career started it's a shame the way it fizzed out.

Ovie Ejaria - After leaving Rangers in January, Ejaria ended up at Reading, where he must have impressed as he has returned to Reading on loan at the start of this season, he's made 24 appearances and scored 3 goals, and general feeling on message boards it they are delighted to have him back.

Daniel Candeias - Candeias has made 7 appearances in Turkey for his new side Genclerbirligi, and has one assist but is yet to score a goal. 7 games in to the season Genclerbirligi are still looking for their first win and are sitting 2nd bottom of the league in the relegation zone.

Joe Worrall - Having returned to Nottingham he has played in 10 of their 11 league games and as part of the team who put Derby out of the cup. They're currently 2nd in the championship having conceded only 9 goals.

Umar Sadiq - He may have had a terrible time and looked clueless for most of his rangers loan, but currently at Partizan he has scored 8 goals in 16 games. 3 in the Europa league and 5 in the league. Could very well just be a case of a player who was never cut out for Scottish football.

Glenn Middleton - He is of course on loan at hibs, and despite them struggling so far this season he hasn't seen as much time as we'd have hoped. Despite looking a threat when he's came on he's only been involved in 5 games this season.

When you look at who we have replaced these guys with, I don't think we're worse off in any positions, but it's interesting to see what they're all doing.

Middleton has played in 7 games, including 70 minutes in the draw against Celtic. We need to stop with this unfounded narrative that he's not really featuring. He's started 5 games and has been subbed on twice.

Coulibaly is the one I feel for most,he was exceptional up until a family bereavement that seemed to knock all that was good out of his game and it appears he hasn't been able to get it back.
Young guy who lost someone close to him while living in a different country,that's a lot for someone to deal with.

Candeias has been a lot quieter on social media the last few weeks, wonder if they've been told to stay off all that until results improve.

Or maybe just getting constant abuse when he does due to how sh*te they are.

Coulibaly is the one I feel for most,he was exceptional up until a family bereavement that seemed to knock all that was good out of his game and it appears he hasn't been able to get it back.
Young guy who lost someone close to him while living in a different country,that's a lot for someone to deal with.
I think it was more to do with McGinn sending him back to Mali with a ridiculous tackle on him.

Looked scared of it happening again.

Last edited:
Middleton has played in 7 games, including 70 minutes in the draw against Celtic. We need to stop with this unfounded narrative that he's not really featuring. He's started 5 games and has been subbed on twice.

My apologies, got my stats wrongly from a football app. I'll correct that one.

I think it was more to do with Paul McGowan sending him back to Mali with a ridiculous tackle on him.

Looked scared of it happening again.
Fair point mate,the lad definitely lost heart it seemed.I thought he was like a cut price Makelele at first then his form fell off a cliff.

Shame.

Sadiq interests me, he’s really a test case for how the online support works
1. We sign him and he’s automatically going to be amazing
2. We’re told he’s a rough diamond and has a very unconventional style but he’s very tall and very rapid.
3. “Great”, we say. We need an x-factor type, we can deal with unconventional style, it will be fun to watch.
4. He plays in a friendly and looks exactly like described - very rapid, ungamely, a handful
5. He doesn’t get any game time and after a few weeks Gerrard goes public on him. Seems a bit pointed and a clumsy thing to do.
6. Gerrard and Morelos then contrive to mean that we have to rely on this player that’s currently being scraped off the floor having been thrown under a bus in a big game.
7. Third choice striker with no game time comes from nowhere in into pressure semi final. Surprise surprise he has a poor game in a game when he has no support up front and the entire team has a poor game. We lose. Incidentally we struggle against this team in other games this season without Sadiq
8. He’s now an instant Shitebag and possibly stole the passport of an actual footballer
9. Through all this we’ve only seen in him in one game.
10. He goes to Partizan Belgrade (big club) and does well. He misses a sitter in one game and there’s a multi page thread slagging him off. The fact he scored a peach in the same game is studiously ignored

Good Post. People often forget that footballers are human beings. Younf guy from Africa moves to a huge club like Rangers on the other side of the world - after just a few games he gets a bad injury through being assaulted on the park, and his father dies. Some folk would recover faster than others from setbacks like that, some never at all - and there's no shame in that. Really felt for the big guy and hope he can kick on in times to come.

Back