Lawrence Marking McGregor?

I just can't see how a Rangers manager - having access to footage - can watch the old Tom Lawrence playing really well against Xavi Simons/Joey Veerman. But then think this version of him is the smae and can do the same job. He's lost a yard, and been totally gassed by that injury. Yet the manager seemingly thinks he's the same player.

If it were me behind my computer playing football manager, I doubt either Cantwell or Lawrence start unless they're in unreal form.

The midfield from the start should have been Sterling, Diomande and Lundstram (in hindsight obviously not) and we should have went man for man in midfield and hoped mccausland, Silva and dessers could hold up and create.
2 Vs 3 when midfield is their best unit by a distance was a horrendous call and one I hope Clement doesn't make again.

By all means play one of them but ahead of a midfield three, raskin dio sterling for example who can run, chase and harry

He just doesn't have the legs for games like these at present.

I say at present, as we seem to forget that he's been out for a good chunk of his time here. I know this might not be popular on here but I'd be inclined to keep him for next season.

I may be wrong, but I think if we get him a solid preseason I genuinely think we could see a different player.

Why-what was manager thinking?
Lawrence is the weakest in the whole squad and lazy imo!
Huge mistake! Sterling should have been the marker in midfield and all over McGregor!
Do this and negate him and we may have a chance to win the cup!
He had to keep leaving him to close down ccv or scales, then they had a spare man. They did this repeatedly. Then we were a man down we didn't have the brains to reorganize, and or we weren't prepared to give up the ball in areas of no danger

Needed a Ryan jack type player

Didn't understand the manager's thinking on this at all. We had a defensively able and athletically capable player in Sterling asked to play on the right, whilst we play Lawrence who has failed in both capacities in previous games against the same opposition placed there. Surely the swap was obvious. What is this determination to play Sterling on the right? Is it to protect Tav? Negating McGregor would've contributed more than that whilst providing more effective width in an attacking sense with any of Lawrence, Cantwell, McCausland or even Wright on the right wing. McGregor is to mobile and quick for Lawrence ( and probably Cantwell) in there, we need him nullified and Sterling is more than capable.

The tactics when we went down to 10 men were shambolic.

Should have been a strict 4 - 4 - 1. 2 banks of 4 in a box. Tell Dessers to stay on the halfway line- don't come further back than our side of the centre circle.

Ceitic would never leave him 1 v 1. The minute we got it pump it over the top for him and get us up the pitch. Or hold it up make it stick and win a foul or pop it off for supporting runs

Yesterday Dessers was back about 25 yards from our own goal getting the ball popped around him in a rondo. We had everyone alongside each other on the edge of the box with no outball - it was like an attack v defence game in training.

Dessers occupies 2 defenders on the halfway line for the counter attack - that leaves 8 v 8 when celtic have got it - come and break down 2 banks of 4.

That's what walter smith would have done.

He had to keep leaving him to close down ccv or scales, then they had a spare man. They did this repeatedly. Then we were a man down we didn't have the brains to reorganize, and or we weren't prepared to give up the ball in areas of no danger

Needed a Ryan jack type player
He did but both CCV and Scales will always look to McGregor as an out in the first instance, close that option and light a fire under Dessers to shut them down and they won't be as comfortable or hurtful stepping forward with the ball. Lundstram and Diomande had this happening in front of them the whole time and failed to address it and often weren't on Hatate or O'Riley tightly either.

Neither Cantwell nor Lawrence were the answer yesterday... Gerrard got so much success against them by stifling the middle of the park... if you let McGregor roam free, you're always on a hiding to nothing

Of course, any midfield domination wasn't helped by Lundstram not turning up from minute 1 either - whether they took the foot off the gas or not in the second half, its no surprise that we looked stronger in the middle of the park when he wasn't there

Sterling should have been dropped into the 3, alongside Diomande - ironically, I'd still have seen Lundstram start, but I don't currently have much faith in Raskin (I do hope he comes good though)

There’s a danger Sterling is being hyped up into saviour-like status on here, but if there was one role he would surely have excelled at - because he’s done exactly that previously - it was as a midfielder nullifying McGregor.

As others have said though, it appears Clement doesn’t entirely trust Tav defensively and Sterling offers him the best protection on that side.

Personally I would have preferred a three man midfield including Sterling in order to win control of that area of the park and cut off supply to Maeda on the right, but Clement is the one getting paid the big bucks to make those decisions, not me.

I have little confidence he’ll change anything for the cup final.

Didn't understand the manager's thinking on this at all. We had a defensively able and athletically capable player in Sterling asked to play on the right, whilst we play Lawrence who has failed in both capacities in previous games against the same opposition placed there. Surely the swap was obvious. What is this determination to play Sterling on the right? Is it to protect Tav? Negating McGregor would've contributed more than that whilst providing more effective width in an attacking sense with any of Lawrence, Cantwell, McCausland or even Wright on the right wing. McGregor is to mobile and quick for Lawrence ( and probably Cantwell) in there, we need him nullified and Sterling is more than capable.
Exactly.
It's mystifying why Sterling wasn't used for that role, in midfield.

Indeed, you could even suggest that if Sterling had been doing that, adding bite and solidity to the middle, Lundstram wouldn't have went tonto with his mad lunge.

Too much ?
Maybe, but having a solid three in the middle (no matter how slow JL is) just might have made things turn out different.
We may also have seen a bit more from Diomande, who was another who looked quite lost.

There’s a danger Sterling is being hyped up into saviour-like status on here, but if there was one role he would surely have excelled at - because he’s done exactly that previously - it was as a midfielder nullifying McGregor.

As others have said though, it appears Clement doesn’t entirely trust Tav defensively and Sterling offers him the best protection on that side.

Personally I would have preferred a three man midfield including Sterling in order to win control of that area of the park and cut off supply to Maeda on the right, but Clement is the one getting paid the big bucks to make those decisions, not me.

At New Year Sterling played as a DM alongside Lundstram I'm sure. Made absolutely no difference. In fact looking at the thread below, most media had McGregor as their MotM and Sterling as pretty average. I recall him being one of our better players but, for sure, he didn't stop McGregor running the show for them.

Sterling is a defender. If we want to see the best of him we need to play him as a defender. DM/CM position is alien to him, despite the thoughts of most on here. Play him in defence and recruit 'proper' midfield players to address our issues in midfield. Otherwise, we risk either not seeing the best of Sterling or losing him altogether.

This is from the New Year game:

He has his critics, but just on the park and Raskin puts McGregor on his arse. It's a pity no other player had the bottle to do this, instead allowing him to stroll around as if he owned the place.
Exactly this , Raskin stands up to the boggle eyed convicted drunk driver and takes no shit off him , should be given an extended run in the team.

Exactly.
It's mystifying why Sterling wasn't used for that role, in midfield.

Indeed, you could even suggest that if Sterling had been doing that, adding bite and solidity to the middle, Lundstram wouldn't have went tonto with his mad lunge.

Too much ?
Maybe, but having a solid three in the middle (no matter how slow JL is) just might have made things turn out different.
We may also have seen a bit more from Diomande, who was another who looked quite lost.
It's ironic that Lundstram's charge was the only time we saw him attempting to close down their players, O'Riley had way too much freedom yesterday, Diomande gave away stupid fouls against Hatate, and neither could encourage Lawrence or Dessers to close down opponents operating in their sphere. If either Lunny or Dio step forward to close down are Souttar and Davies so incapable of marking Kyogo that they cannot step onto whichever midfielder is left unattended ? We just seem to let them dictate play and pull our players around the pitch without ever getting close enough to close them off or play around us.

Sterling is a physical specimen.

He dominates mcgregor in a head to head every day of the week and he has an element of badness in him which helps.

Mcgregor is a bam - a wee nyaff - sleekit wee lady's front bottom who lives in the shadows - the only time he can act wide is on the pitch but he's a mentally weak we shitbag who knocks his bird about.

Sterling rags him about like a dog toy - given the opportunity

Sterling is a physical specimen.

He dominates mcgregor in a head to head every day of the week and he has an element of badness in him which helps.

Mcgregor is a bam - a wee nyaff - sleekit wee lady's front bottom who lives in the shadows - the only time he can act wide is on the pitch but he's a mentally weak we shitbag who knocks his bird about.

Sterling rags him about like a dog toy - given the opportunity
Except when he doesn't. See post #20.

Mcgegor strolled about as if he was in his element yesterday.

Arrogant wee prick. Smiling to annoy.

A decent manager would have stuck someone to be in his pocket.

Instead he got freedom of the park. Again.

Im not a manager but ffs we as fans can see it.

At New Year Sterling played as a DM alongside Lundstram I'm sure. Made absolutely no difference. In fact looking at the thread below, most media had McGregor as their MotM and Sterling as pretty average. I recall him being one of our better players but, for sure, he didn't stop McGregor running the show for them.

Sterling is a defender. If we want to see the best of him we need to play him as a defender. DM/CM position is alien to him, despite the thoughts of most on here. Play him in defence and recruit 'proper' midfield players to address our issues in midfield. Otherwise, we risk either not seeing the best of Sterling or losing him altogether.

This is from the New Year game:

I think the New Year’s game was one of the first where Sterling featured more centrally. No, he didn’t really stop McGregor that day but I felt he really began to shine in that role thereafter.

What I liked about him there was his athleticism and strength. He was winning a lot of tackles, intercepting passes, breaking up play and moving us forward. I think it also gave Lundstram space to concentrate on dictating play.

I don’t feel the balance has been anything like as effective with Diomande alongside Lundstram and it has to be acknowledged that our problems began around about the same time.

With Lundstram now out for Tuesday there’s an opportunity for Clement to see how a midfield duo of Sterling and Diomande works.

It might not, but I would expect a manager who has been at pains to stress he’s obsessive about winning to be looking at every possible option in pursuit of that.

Frustratingly I suspect Raskin will play in that role however.

Sterling played on the right because we wanted to target their back post. It worked for the goal and was very close on at least one other occasion. If you have a full squad to choose from you can play Sima there and let Sterling drop back.

I think the New Year’s game was one of the first where Sterling featured more centrally. No, he didn’t really stop McGregor that day but I felt he really began to shine in that role thereafter.

What I liked about him there was his athleticism and strength. He was winning a lot of tackles, intercepting passes, breaking up play and moving us forward. I think it also gave Lundstram space to concentrate on dictating play.

I don’t feel the balance has been anything like as effective with Diomande alongside Lundstram and it has to be acknowledged that our problems began around about the same time.

With Lundstram now out for Tuesday there’s an opportunity for Clement to see how a midfield duo of Sterling and Diomande works.

It might not, but I would expect a manager who has been at pains to stress he’s obsessive about winning to be looking at every possible option in pursuit of that.

Frustratingly I suspect Raskin will play in that role however.
According to Transfermarkt it was his third game (in a row) for us in that role. He's only played there twice since - Aberdeen at Home in the League and Aberdeen in the League Cup Final. He was, arguably, our best player in the latter.

I'm in a very small minority but I firmly believe we see the best of him in defence, as yesterday helped illustrate. Certainly in the longer term. For the Cup Final it ill come down to who's available I guess.

I don't read the Herald and prefer to use my eyes.

If he's played in the correct way in midfield with the correct instructions is key
The Herald? I guess you didn't open the link then, given it had a whole range of options for you to scroll through. All largely along the same lines.

Specsavers open at 9am tomorrow.;):)

Mcgregor is vastly over rated.

Teams give him freedom of the park.

It's absurd. Yet an opposition manager can't see it?

The Herald? I guess you didn't open the link then, given it had a whole range of options for you to scroll through. All largely along the same lines.

Specsavers open at 9am tomorrow.;):)
Wouldn't waste my time opening it bud - dont have time for any negativity

We were more competitive at new year anyway.

Specsavers may help with eyesight but you'll struggle to find a shop to cure your ability for being an annoying twat.

He’s a good player. But we give him too much time, respect and leave ourselves hamstrung with our options and selection of a midfield.

The amount of people that called it all last week yet sat and watched the manager fail to address the midfield.

He’s a good player. But we give him too much time, respect and leave ourselves hamstrung with our options and selection of a midfield.

The amount of people that called it all last week yet sat and watched the manager fail to address the midfield.
Last paragraph is spot on, and it's a feeling I don't think I'll be able to shake. Especially if he does it again in the cup final.

Wouldn't waste my time opening it bud - dont have time for any negativity

We were more competitive at new year anyway.

Specsavers may help with eyesight but you'll struggle to find a shop to cure your ability for being an annoying twat.
A priceless commodity. :)

I wasn't being negative bud, I simply don't agree Sterling is this 'messiah' in midfield that so many seem to have him down as. He's a defender. Play him as a defender and recruit to address the deficiencies in midfield.

I do appreciate I'm in a small minority who are of that view - and circumstances may dictate we see Sterling in that role again in the Cup Final. Hopefully has a better outcome than last time.

Last paragraph is spot on, and it's a feeling I don't think I'll be able to shake. Especially if he does it again in the cup final.

I agree. Stopping him his freedom over the park is first and foremost. And wiping that fucking grin off his face too.

Wee prick. I'm not sure who we can fill a position to get i to his face though to have any impact sadly.

Lundstram will sit out Dundee and Hearts and be straight back in for the cup final. We’ll play a 2 man midfield and we won’t have a midfield. If Cantwell doesn’t come in we’ll probably go with Lawrence.

Sterling playing right side to make up for Tavernier defensive weaknesses. %^*& me.

We’d be better sacrificing a wider option and putting both Lawrence and Cantwell in if they have to play like the days of Gerrard.

Raskin doesn’t get a look in yet comes in at Parkhead off the bench. What’s going on there?

Butland
Tavernier Balogun Souttar Ridvan
Sterling Raskin
Diomande
Sima———————————Silva
Dessers

A priceless commodity. :)

I wasn't being negative bud, I simply don't agree Sterling is this 'messiah' in midfield that so many seem to have him down as. He's a defender. Play him as a defender and recruit to address the deficiencies in midfield.

I do appreciate I'm in a small minority who are of that view - and circumstances may dictate we see Sterling in that role again in the Cup Final. Hopefully has a better outcome than last time.
OK mate my bad.

I don't think he's the next Zidane or anything but I think he gives us more in there in terms of getting after people than any other player at the club.

If Clement doesn't do this in the Final he's on a hiding to nothing.

He's got plenty of other players who can play out wider in the position he seems to like playing sterling.

Lawerence despite having no pace can pass it from out there, Cantwell mcausland sima - we need to get Sterling into the middle in an attempt to control the middle of the park where mcgregor oreilly and hatate have carte balance to do whatever they bloody want

Lawrence starts against Celtic, he's shite, next game Cantwell starts rather than Lawrence against Celtic and he's shite.
Rinse and repeat.
Or you could put Sterling on him all game and play Wright or McCausland on the right instead.

I realise that I’m not an expert but FFS…does he see Tav as that weak that he needs Sterling in front him?

We need another Ryan Jack if we can find one.

OK mate my bad.

I don't think he's the next Zidane or anything but I think he gives us more in there in terms of getting after people than any other player at the club.

If Clement doesn't do this in the Final he's on a hiding to nothing.

He's got plenty of other players who can play out wider in the position he seems to like playing sterling.

Lawerence despite having no pace can pass it from out there, Cantwell mcausland sima - we need to get Sterling into the middle in an attempt to control the middle of the park where mcgregor oreilly and hatate have carte balance to do whatever they bloody want
Might well be what happens in the Cup Final. Time will tell if its his long-term position. Not for me, as I say, but he certainly needs to be in the team somewhere.

According to Transfermarkt it was his third game (in a row) for us in that role. He's only played there twice since - Aberdeen at Home in the League and Aberdeen in the League Cup Final. He was, arguably, our best player in the latter.

I'm in a very small minority but I firmly believe we see the best of him in defence, as yesterday helped illustrate. Certainly in the longer term. For the Cup Final it ill come down to who's available I guess.
He also played there against Kilmarnock and Hibs. The league games against Aberdeen at home and Hibs at Easter Road saw us play some of our best football of the season, IMO, and I think a big part of that was the presence Sterling brought to our midfield.

As I said, I can see there being a danger of Sterling becoming our new messiah in the minds of many fans when he has his limitations like everyone else (he doesn’t have the skillset to be a wide player, IMO), but I think the desire to see him play in the middle of the park is because we’ve looked increasingly weak and easily overrun in there so his physicality and athleticism feels like a good solution, one that has been backed up with some pretty solid evidence in the recent past.

I’m certainly not against him playing as a defender either though, but whatever role it’s to be it should, IMO, be as part of a new core for this team and we then build around him.

A lot of focus goes on the defence but the ease at which they are able to get to our defence passing it around our midfield first 35 minutes yesterday was absolutely embarassing imo.
That's been the main problem the whole time. We give them the entire middle of the park to do what they want. This then leads to wave after wave of attack and by the law of averages the defenders will make mistakes in that scenario.

We never ever learn regardless of how many times this happens. Yeah we're paper thin but there was an obvious decision that could've been made yesterday which was sterling midfield.

This is the bit I'm struggling to get over. The same thing every single fecking time regardless of who the manager is.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome is the sign of insanity - so they say.

Shows you how bad we are when we need anybody to mark Callum McGregor , an absolute avarage footballer that tows a caravan everytime they play euro opposition, even against the likes of Swiss also-rans

We set up the same way that we did in the first half at Ibrox. It made us really easy to play through then and it did again yesterday.

Lawrence sat on McGregor both games, their CBs brought the ball out, someone eventually went to the ball and there was always an easy pass.

You’d think we’d have set up in the same way that we did in the second half at Ibrox, but for whatever reason, we persisted with the approach that saw us go in 2-0 down the last time we tried it.

He makes them tick but the suggestion we need to build our tactics around him is mental.

The fact is, their middle 3 is better than ours.

Guys like Lundstram are yesterday now, same with Lawrence

Sterling played on the right because we wanted to target their back post. It worked for the goal and was very close on at least one other occasion. If you have a full squad to choose from you can play Sima there and let Sterling drop back.
Tav is capable of attacking the back post and would prob make better decisions in the forward areas, and Sterling would make better decisions in the defensive areas so why not swap them about doesn't seem like rocket science

Lawrence starts against Celtic, he's shite, next game Cantwell starts rather than Lawrence against Celtic and he's shite.
Rinse and repeat.

For me, it’s the strongest part of their team and we should’ve went with a more robust midfield 3. I think most fans thought the same. The manager and his team are not daft. The only conclusion I can come to is that they decided to ‘twist’ and put a more attacking minded player in there with Lawrence.

Don’t get me wrong however, Clement is still the right man for the job.

Back