League's done for the season. Time to regroup for Phase 2 of the Gerrard era

That result today happens to often to even contemplate continuing with the title talk. We simply don't have it in us yet to sustain a full season challenge.

Today was absolutely dreadful. Kent and Kamara apart, I thought we were appalling outfield today. Constant long balls, constant overhit or underhit passes, constant hit and hope cross balls. It's simply not good enough. We started at a sluggish tempo and simply never got started.

The one thing I'm trying to tell myself is that the manager will now know who he can and can't rely on. Certain players were dreadful today for several reasons.

Barisic ? Talented without question but he simply doesn't have the mentality to play for us. He neither wants or takes any responsibility. Square balls inside or overhit crosses are the order of the day for him.

Davis ? He's either utterly done or hopelessly unfit. Either way we're fúcked and it's not good enough. If he continues this run of form then I'd have him nowhere near the team next season.

Candeias ? A tireless willing worker but his delivery is either sugar or shíŧe and far too often it's the latter. We need better than him in that position.

Positives ? Not many but I though Kamara had a fine debut. Strong in the tackle and very good passer of the ball. I thought he moved the ball at a zip that not many of our midfielders usually do.

A thoroughly rotten and miserable day. Wednesday is now absolutely massive. Lose that and the season is done.
All good. Next season it is.

I don’t think we realistically had a chance this season anyway, we started well and are more than capable on our day of beating anyone but to turn it around completely from the utter shambles of last season with limited funds and a manager still wearing L plates was always an enormous ask.

I think most sensible supporters realised that as long as we made progress, then we could handle it, we don’t have to be happy about it.

There quite clearly has been progress made but there’s also quite clearly a good bit to go. Our summer window must focus on quality rather than quantity. I think if we can solidify 2nd by a good distance to the sheep then 2 or 3 quality editions would see us able to mount a serious sustained challenge next season.

We are still a work in progress but I’m more than happy with the management team and must back them.

In my mind this is the biggest game of the season so far, it is competition we are still in, it’s a competition we are still going to try and win and we only have four games left to try and win it. Kilmarnock is the next hurdle to get over.

Sounds like the players have given up.

In my mind this is the biggest game of the season so far, it is competition we are still in, it’s a competition we are still going to try and win and we only have four games left to try and win it. Kilmarnock is the next hurdle to get over.

Sounds like the players have given up.
They have chucked the league, no doubt, but what makes you think they’ve chucked the SC?

i would've loved the league this year, but we are now relying on others to f*ck up instead. I'm not too disheartened yet there's plenty of games to go in the league we're still in with a shout in the cup and I honestly believe Gerrard is the man to continue to take us forward, we have a solid foundation to build on throughout the summer too.

So.... phase 2. The big question, do we try our best to keep hold of Alfie or do we cash in?

I'm increasingly of the view that if we can hold onto him for another season we should. He's by far the best forward in the league. On his day he's unplayable, and interestingly the opposition don't seem to have worked out how to deal with him yet. If we can get two or three players in with the right mentality and the ability to perform consistently then I firmly believe Alfie could fire us to the title.

On the other hand, if we sell him we're not only having to replace him, but possibly looking at completely changing our shape and tactics, plus presumably bringing in a few more players if we reinvest the fee for him.

Or in other words, to we try to keep him and finesse the team / squad a bit... or do we sell him and in essence have to rip it up and start again?

I think for now the former would be more likely to get us the league next season.

Back