Leeds link with Ryan Kent Again

As others have already said, no one is paying £20m for a Scottish based player entering the final year of their contract. Edouard’s stock was probably higher than Kent’s and he only went for £13m last summer.

Patterson apart, we haven’t seen the club
utilise our supposed business model at all, IMO.

There are big question marks for me about our ability to actually do so given Goldson’s contract has been allowed to run down and three of our other prize assets are about to enter the final year of theirs.

In this respect we are singularly failing to maximise our resources so I think we need to see some strong evidence this summer that we can actually do so.

Selling any two of Kent, Aribo or Alfie for decent eight figure sums is fast becoming essential to the success of our trading model and medium term health.

The Scum got 20 for Eduardo , He’s also English so that adds a few quid on to his value so I wouldn’t be so sure.

Kent and Alfie are irreplaceable I wouldn’t want to sell either but both need to sign new deals or go in the summer.

They did, but like it or not they’ve got a good track record of players leaving and being successful elsewhere (in England mainly).

We don’t. Not yet anyway.

Clubs aren’t stupid, basically. A player who we signed for £7m can’t be allowed to leave for free, so we’ll sell him this summer and make a small profit on him. Nobody is coming in with £20m under the circumstances - they’re simply too favourable to the buying club and Kent himself, unfortunately.

As others have already said, no one is paying £20m for a Scottish based player entering the final year of their contract. Edouard’s stock was probably higher than Kent’s and he only went for £13m last summer.

There are big question marks for me about our ability to actually do so given Goldson’s contract has been allowed to run down and three of our other prize assets are about to enter the final year of theirs.

In this respect we are singularly failing to maximise our resources so I think we need to see some strong evidence this summer that we can actually do so.

Selling any two of Kent, Aribo or Alfie for decent eight figure sums is fast becoming essential to the success of our trading model and medium term health.

Agree with all of this.

We’ve actually done well in terms of keeping the core of this side together for as long as we have, however the model we’ve supposedly had in place for years needs be evidence now.

CL winners or not, we have a massive rebuild on our hands this summer, and it really shouldn’t have been necessary. A valuable player leaving last summer would’ve freed up enough funds to go and strengthen for the inevitable loss of players coming this summer.

Patterson went to a shit 'up and down club' down more than up, but at the end of the day, they will do what everyone in life does in getting out of bed and going to work, go for the money

The Scum got 20 for Eduardo , He’s also English so that adds a few quid on to his value so I wouldn’t be so sure.

Kent and Alfie are irreplaceable I wouldn’t want to sell either but both need to sign new deals or go in the summer.

Again you're not comparing like for like though.

Edouard was a striker who'd been top scorer in our league on a few occasions so of course teams are willing to pay more for a goalscorer.

It doesn't really matter if nobody wants to bid for our players. There is an element of luck involved and Ross Wilson is powerless to implement the model if there are no bidders.

People can point the finger at Kent's goal return and it is a valid criticism.

His "assists" stats don't tell the full story though. How many times is he involved in a move that leads to a goal, how many times does he create space and play the second last pass that then leads to a goal? How many chances does he create that the striker/midfielder etc miss?

Stats only paint a part of the picture. Your eyes will always remain the best judge of a players quality.

It doesn't really matter if nobody wants to bid for our players. There is an element of luck involved and Ross Wilson is powerless to implement the model if there are no bidders.
I take your point, but I think there’s also an element of our pricing players too highly or their agents failing them.

I find it bizarre there’s only been one concrete bid for Alfie in the last two or three years for instance. Surely plenty of clubs would be interested in the Europa League’s leading goalscorer?

Ditto Kent who also tends to reserve his best displays for the continent.

Kent is worth a lot more than Ajer, and the game has moved on even further in terms of money.

I’m from Leeds. Their fans talk of him costing £25-30m like it’s nothing.

Players go from Croatia, Belgium etc for £20m+ all the time.

Kent is worth a lot more than Ajer, and the game has moved on even further in terms of money.

Kent will be worth what we get/accept for him ..that's how it works..his contract has ran down not good business.

Their fans aren’t in charge of Leeds’ purse strings, just as ours aren’t when it comes to setting prices for players.

If they were, we’d never sell anyone.

Noticed that Leeds interested about a bid triggering a twenty million pound clause in his contract, now considering he’s in Europe every year, Why? would he even consider going to an up and down Club, or is it the usual Leeds or an agent shit stirring.
20 Million?
I like Kent but his lack of goals has been a problem since he came here.
Grab the 20 mill if it is available!

People can point the finger at Kent's goal return and it is a valid criticism.

His "assists" stats don't tell the full story though. How many times is he involved in a move that leads to a goal, how many times does he create space and play the second last pass that then leads to a goal? How many chances does he create that the striker/midfielder etc miss?

Stats only paint a part of the picture. Your eyes will always remain the best judge of a players quality.
While I agree for the most part, there are stats that cover these sort of soft stat areas and are actually part of the lifeblood that makes up modern 'moneyball' style recruitment and scouting. I would be very interested to see what his average expected assists per 90 are in comparison to others in his position playing at this level.

Back