Leon King post-match now that’s a Ranger

We don't have the luxury of carrying nice down to earth boys who aren't good players. That's the brutal reality

It’s a curious case with Leon King. He was playing for the 21’s at what, 15? 16?

All the talk was about how good he was, how he was the best academy product in years etc and he’s not remotely close to being good enough for the first team.

That’s a pretty sad indictment of what the academy is (or isn’t) producing.

Nice guy absolutely, but not good enough unfortunately.

Don’t think he gets enough credit from the fans for turning down big premier league money when he turned 16 to stay with us.

Would like to see him get a loan to play games, think he still has a chance

At centre half he’s not good enough, he’s not physical enough to play there. I’m pretty sure he’s been training this season as a cdm rather than a cb. Maybe that will be his position in the future.

Whatever the game throws at you here is a man who stood up and dine as best he could then post match he takes the presser and concedes he takes responsibility for the opening goal . That’s a Ranger .

Many others simply do not have that mindset and for that reason alone will never be good Ranger .

Not good enough unfortunately but a decent lad who'll do well in the game with a less demanding club.

how many fans line up to tell a young Rangers fan they are not good enough.

This support disgusts me at times. Always ready to write off young players and they dont why we can't bring through players.

These are the same fans who wet their pants when a young prospect hasn't agreed a new contract.

People have a mad attitude towards what the players say.

Nothing Tavernier could say would make him a Ranger, despite fronting up so many times.

Young lad, at fault for at least one goal, speaks and it’s ‘that’s a true Ranger’…

Take your point, but trying to rationalise, King seems a confident and natural public speaker, Tav isn’t the best in front of the media.

Obviously not saying that has any bearing in how good a player or leader either of them is. Just an observation.

He isn't good enough either though. Most of our players have admitted to being at fault for goals. I'm not quite sure how that makes him have any outstanding mindset tbh mate.

We need better footballers who rarely have to take responsibility for mistakes because they make them much less.
I disagree, he's a young lad learning g his trade. I think because he has been around the first team for a while people are quick to write him off. I see a very capable CH on our hands.

12 starts in the league and mind made up he's not good enough. :rolleyes:

Can our academy players actually get a proper chance before being written off.
A proper chance at whose expense though? We already need better than our senior centre back’s and he hasn’t been able to get himself in the team before any of them.

Add to that he generally gifts a goal a game when he does play.

Maybe the answer is to get him out on loan for a season similar to what the scum did with Ajer and Christie then bring him back but into the fold but in all honesty I just don’t think he’ll make it with us.

We've seen how Mayo has done at Killie, King has much more talent than him. I'd be inclined to get him out to a team in our league on loan, or even sell him with a reasonable buyback clause.

A proper chance at whose expense though? We already need better than our senior centre back’s and he hasn’t been able to get himself in the team before any of them.

Add to that he generally gifts a goal a game when he does play.

Maybe the answer is to get him out on loan for a season similar to what the scum did with Ajer and Christie then bring him back but into the fold but in all honesty I just don’t think he’ll make it with us.
May as well just close down our academy then, no point in having it if we wont play them in the first team.

I am just wondering if it is the same poor that would never make Lewis Ferguson a Rangers player.
He was poor tonight there’s no debating that.

Do you see him as a centre back for us in the future? We tried him there and now appear to be coaching him to play CDM, somewhere he hasn’t featured all season for us.

The best option for him at this point is a loan move where he’ll play CDM if that’s where we see him playing.

It's really poor that King, at his age, still hasn't been loaned out for some regular first team football. His development will have stagnated over the past year or so. Whether he's good enough in the long run or not doesn't matter, he'd have had a better chance of making it, had he been playing week in, week out. You see how much it benefitted Lewis Mayo with his loans before he made his switch to Kilmarnock permanent.

Hopefully all of King, Fraser, McCausland, Lowry and Rice are sent out on season long loans in the summer.

May as well just close down our academy then, no point in having it if we wont play them in the first team.
No, we play them in the first team if they are good enough to play. Not just to tick a box.

Ross McCausland forced his way in under Davis and Clement seen enough to stick with him. Nathan Patterson forced his way into the side and played a number of games. If they are good enough they’ll play.

We've seen how Mayo has done at Killie, King has much more talent than him. I'd be inclined to get him out to a team in our league on loan, or even sell him with a reasonable buyback clause.
Mayo has all the physical attributes to be a centre half or right back in Scotland and at this moment in time I’m not sure King does.

There’s no doubting King is more talented though and a loan would benefit him.

I thought Silva should also take a fair chunk of the blame for the first goal. He let the Dundee fullback McGhee run half the length of the pitch and didn’t track him. Total lack of effort from Silva as it was his man.

I thought Silva should also take a fair chunk of the blame for the first goal. He let the Dundee fullback McGhee run half the length of the pitch and didn’t track him. Total lack of effort from Silva as it was his man.
Silva might be at fault for not communicating with Ridvan and passing him on but but he’s not at fault for not tracking McGhee all the way back there.

Both King and Ridvan are in the box picking up no one.

Would like to see him go on loan but he’s club trained so will probably be kept around

The guy who scored the goal was there right back, yes king was involved in a mix up, but the cross should have been cut out down our right before that point and someone (Silva ?) has not tracked the run forward to the back post. There's a lot more than Leon King at fault there. Heard one of our more prominent fans media trying to blame King for the second too even though our captain left mcCausland 2v1 at the short free kick that led to it.

Looks really comfortable and positive on the ball, broke the lines a few times fizzing through balls including McCausland's goal.

Thought he was being converted to a CDM role, for which he looks much more suited so a bit hard done by to drop back into CB last night due to another long list of CB injuries. Would love to see him get a chance at CDM, albeit probably on loan.

Easy to forget he's still so young. Full year younger than Robbie Fraser who only made his competitive debut last night.

He strolls international U21 level in that role. It’s 100% his best position.

Leon is far from the finished article, but he bleeds blue and sometimes when I look at how our team have capitulated over and over again, I will take a bit of that in our squad.
The same goes for Cole and Ross. These guys would give up a limb to wear our jersey.

When I look back at players like a young John Brown or Craig Moore, there were plenty saying they weren’t good enough in their early days.
Thank god nobody listened, because these guys ended up being players we relied on for our strength.

Even folk like Bob Malcom ffs. He was never going to be a hero, but you knew against that lot he would give up absolutely fûck all.
Bomber was 26 when he signed for us so slightly different

talking well is great I guess but ability is better and he doesnt have enough to ever be a reg for us

how many fans line up to tell a young Rangers fan they are not good enough.

This support disgusts me at times. Always ready to write off young players and they dont why we can't bring through players.

These are the same fans who wet their pants when a young prospect hasn't agreed a new contract.
You calling them fanEEs lol

I think you do have a point tbh

The point of this thread has never been about the quality and capability of this or any other player it is aimed at the need for all of our players to have his mentality . We have had to endure senior guys who are badly short of that and indeed many fans laud those same players .

I was just trying to make that point to open up a debate on that not that LK should be in our team or not.

12 starts in the league and mind made up he's not good enough. :rolleyes:

Can our academy players actually get a proper chance before being written off.
He costs us goals every time he has played from my recollection and I think that would just continue to happen. I think it's clear that he's not good enough for us but best of luck to him

We don't have the luxury of carrying nice down to earth boys who aren't good players. That's the brutal reality
Well I think we better change that brutality, because what we're doing at present clearly isn't working.

Wasting money on players from abroad, told on here they were the goods btw and then spend their time here getting verbals. People are looking for 100% perfection from players which they can't give you, even the best of them.

As I said in another post, Alex ferguson knew this was what young players would get, especially at Rangers and acted on it.Took a chance on young players, giving them time to develop. As proved at the time, this worked very well when they started beating us and them consistently, home and away.

To say the lad got found out in the cl is something else, the whole team got found out in that competition and it was no surprise, these teams are levels above us.

King isn't going to make it as a Rangers centre half, doesn't mean he won't make it at Rangers. Just think he isn't physical enough.

Interested to see him as a holding midfielder like has played for Scotland I believe.

He needs a loan deal. No idea why he wasn't loaned out this season. But then I'm looking for logic in an illogical place.

Still think he may make a good CDM eventually

Well I think we better change that brutality, because what we're doing at present clearly isn't working.

Wasting money on players from abroad, told on here they were the goods btw and then spend their time here getting verbals. People are looking for 100% perfection from players which they can't give you, even the best of them.

As I said in another post, Alex ferguson knew this was what young players would get, especially at Rangers and acted on it.Took a chance on young players, giving them time to develop. As proved at the time, this worked very well when they started beating us and them consistently, home and away.

To say the lad got found out in the cl is something else, the whole team got found out in that competition and it was no surprise, these teams are levels above us.
I agree there's far too much snobbery about not buying from Scotland and instead ending up over paying for jobbers from abroad. My comment comes across as harsh and probably shouldn't have been aimed at King individually, more at the sentiment that we don't have the luxury of honest lads who own up to making mistakes

Young players aren’t allowed to develop at Rangers. They need to come in and be prime Barry Ferguson or they’re written off.
That's the reality unfortunately. That's why young players develop better in sides with lower expectations.

Seems a good lad, and maybe is a true Ranger, but he isn't good enough and I don't think we have seen anything to suggest he will be good enough.

People say, we need to give players X amount of time, but sometimes it is clear pretty early on when players have it or not.

He will go on to have a solid career I would imagine.

Had very high hopes for King but hasn't played well for our first team. Equally he's far too good for the B team.

Probably needs a good solid loan where he plays every week.

He's still only 20 so plenty of room to improve.

I agree there's far too much snobbery about not buying from Scotland and instead ending up over paying for jobbers from abroad. My comment comes across as harsh and probably shouldn't have been aimed at King individually, more at the sentiment that we don't have the luxury of honest lads who own up to making mistakes
It's this required standard that gets to me. Who are these players, how much would they cost?

If that standard is the likes of Gough, Gary Stevens, Laudrup, Gazza and many others i could name, then it's not happening. We can't buy our way out of it this time as has been proved, so a whole new strategy is needed for the future of the club. This will mean allowing players to develop, something we've been hopeless at. @dublinbluenose made a good point, if Davie Cooper was still around today, people would be wanting him chased. An amazing footballer, but like many wingers he had more than a few off days, when on it, a joy to watch.

It's this required standard that gets to me. Who are these players, how much would they cost?

If that standard is the likes of Gough, Gary Stevens, Laudrup, Gazza and many others i could name, then it's not happening. We can't buy our way out of it this time as has been proved, so a whole new strategy is needed for the future of the club. This will mean allowing players to develop, something we've been hopeless at. @dublinbluenose made a good point, if Davie Cooper was still around today, people would be wanting him chased. An amazing footballer, but like many wingers he had more than a few off days, when on it, a joy to watch.
I listened to the managers post match presser and he’s had the likes of Robbie frazer training with the first since he came in.he mentioned that young Ross had five training sessions with the first team last season which simply will not do.he said this is not a short term plan but a two year plan.i think we are going to see a lot more players from the academy getting first team action.

No, we play them in the first team if they are good enough to play. Not just to tick a box.

Ross McCausland forced his way in under Davis and Clement seen enough to stick with him. Nathan Patterson forced his way into the side and played a number of games. If they are good enough they’ll play.
The step up from B team to first team is a big one, they need more than a dozen starts before we know if their good enough.

I've said a few time, Lewis Ferguson took multiple seasons to develop into the player he is now, half our fans would have chased him after a few months for not being good enough if we had signed him.

Sorry, I meant to respond to your first point. Couldn't agree more. We're bringing in average players from abroad, that come to a style that is completely alien to them.

We definitely need a few players who know how the game works in this country. It might not be pretty stuff, but it could be very effective for us. Lammers is an example. Comes here, gets hunted, goes back abroad and starts scoring for fun.

I'd like to see him in a CDM role. He's not suited to centre back.
Regardless of where he is shoehorned in, he isn't near the level required.

Looks miles off even a Ross McCrorie when he was coming through, that shows a comparison of the level he is at.

Back