Letting teams get back into position and set there defensive shape

GreenockRanger

I don't claim to be knowledgeable on tactics, overloads etc etc. Last night at the game all i could see was us letting Aberdeen get back into shape before we tried to attack them, we constantly played in triangles, that's amateur stuff that even I can see. I know we didn't have much pace on the pitch, but 2 quick passes and we can be in behind them. Really frustrating, we where 10 yards further back than we should have been I felt last night. I think back to the 2019 game we played at parkhead, the players where playing passes without even thinking about it, they knew where each other where. I don't think major changes are needed, pass the ball quicker and we are in on goal, looks pretty clear to me, speed up our play and chances will come. Stop letting teams reset and try pass them to death

Last edited:
Spot on. Even when I play 7 a sides I know the best time to pass the ball rapidly into midfield/attack is when the opposition have just committed men forward and are exposed.

As I have posted elsewhere our management team are obsessed with possession & stats are clearly blinding them to the reality
We are watching the same tactic (dominate possession) week after week but this is not helping performances or results
We are being stripped of any individuality due to this
No one touch football in case we lose possession
Playing ourselves onto bother at the back when this option isn't on (players too near each other) in order to keep possession
It's just so many things all connected to what I see as restrictive tactics

Back