Lewis Ferguson (not a rumour)

Imo yes, did very well at Hamilton in a mediocre team progressed at Rangers but not the quality required to command a first team place ?

Imo yes, did very well at Hamilton in a mediocre team progressed at Rangers but not the quality required to command a first team place ?

But his passing, was it really a standout? He was a fantastic athlete but wouldn't really say passing was one of his main assets.

Ferguson has young player of the year nominations, been capped by Scotland, played and scored in European qualifiers, been linked with a Watford side who have a pretty wide, extensive scouting network, scored in Semi Finals. I really can't see how Docherty was showing to offer far more than Ferguson at all TBH when Docherty was the same age as Ferguson is now.

Last edited:
But his passing, was it really a standout? He was a fantastic athlete but wouldn't really say passing was one his main assets.

Ferguson has young player of the year nominations, been capped by Scotland, played and scored in European qualifiers, been linked with a Watford side who have a pretty wide, extensive scouting network, scored in Semi Finals. I really can't see how Docherty was showing to offer far more than Ferguson at all TBH when Docherty was the same age as Ferguson is now.
What I am suggesting Imo is neither is of the quality to improve the current Rangers team.

What I am suggesting Imo is neither is of the quality to improve the current Rangers team.

Now, possibly not, but the reality is midfield for us is an area with players who are getting older (who isn't) in Davis and Arfield, and a player we can't entirely rely on in Jack, and the thing two of those players have in common is they meet home grown criteria.

We are always going to have to look to our local market for players, in every area, reality is Ferguson is one of the better Scottish players of an age profile we need TBH. It would seem slightly bizarre to think he wasn't a player we were considering

So while he might not walk into our side now, he is IMO, a player we should be looking to tier into the side long term, and someone who would be more than capable of featuring in 30 + games for us over the course of a season if needed even next season, more so domestically, before even considering a likely departure of Kamara.

Absolutely spot on mate, I normally judge spl players in rival teams when they are playing against us or them and genuinely don’t get the hype surrounding him as a player, goes a missing in the games.

He is not and never will be rangers class.

Now, possibly not, but the reality is midfield for us is an area with players who are getting older (who isn't) in Davis and Arfield, and a player we can't entirely rely on in Jack, and the thing two of those players have in common is they meet home grown criteria.

We are always going to have to look to our local market for players, in every area, reality is Ferguson is one of the better Scottish players of an age profile we need TBH. It would seem slightly bizarre to think he wasn't a player we were considering

So while he might not walk into our side now, he is IMO, a player we should be looking to tier into the side long term, and someone who would be more than capable of featuring in 30 + games for us over the course of a season if needed even next season, more so domestically, before even considering a likely departure of Kamara.
I’ve no idea if he’s any good or not, only seen him play against us and he’s never stood out, but I don’t think we are in a position to spend the 2/3 mil that Aberdeen would want, on a squad player.

On a free transfer, why not? If it doesn’t work out he could be moved on but for a decent fee we need quality who fits straight into the starting 11, and Ferguson doesn’t do that IMO

I’ve no idea if he’s any good or not, only seen him play against us and he’s never stood out, but I don’t think we are in a position to spend the 2/3 mil that Aberdeen would want, on a squad player.

On a free transfer, why not? If it doesn’t work out he could be moved on but for a decent fee we need quality who fits straight into the starting 11, and Ferguson doesn’t do that IMO

If it was 2 million, that, in reality, isn't a great deal of money for a transfer fee TBH, even for a squad player.

2 million is the fee we were paying for players from this league over 10 years ago in players like Naismith, Thomson and Whittaker

I would expect the wages would be relatively cheap, as well as the agent fees etc v for instance, us going out into the bosman market and picking up a player who would likely be looking for a hefty wage, signing on fee etc and so on if under freedom of contract.

I don’t remember a stampede of support when we signed Ryan Jack or Scott Wright. I know Ferguson is different because of the transfer fee but this nonsense that he’s crap or not good enough etc. Liverpool just signed Ramsey from them and I bet 90% of the experts on here probably thought he was sh*te too.

It’s £2m for a 22yo with bags of SPL experience and goals in a position where we have an ageing Arfield and Davis.

only seen him when he’s played against us, nothing special imo, not sure why he’s even mentioned with us is that our level then? And at 2.5 million, Christ alive

I don’t remember a stampede of support when we signed Ryan Jack or Scott Wright. I know Ferguson is different because of the transfer fee but this nonsense that he’s crap or not good enough etc. Liverpool just signed Ramsey from them and I bet 90% of the experts on here probably thought he was sh*te too.

It’s £2m for a 22yo with bags of SPL experience and goals in a position where we have an ageing Arfield and Davis.
Without a doubt Ramsay would have been absolutely shite on here no doubt about it, Liverpool sign him well aye always said he was a good player.

That does not mean Ferguson will do well but writing him off is stupid.

Posters keep going on about what position he takes but as you say he would/could be a very important squad player and we are going to need reserves and different options.

We're not interested in Lewis Ferguson.

But that’s the crux of the issue as far as I am concerned so it’s difficult to just ignore it.

On a free or cheap (<£500k) deal and not an astronomical wage? Yes I would be interested.

For £2m+ which may end up being a sizeable chunk of our current transfer budget? Not so much.

Its the old story. When the likes of Arfield, McArthur, Dorrans (and even to some degree Robertson) were playing in Scotland they weren't "Rangers class". Cue successful moves to England and all of a sudden they were. Its the same with Ferguson. He's a good SPL playerwho could improve firther in a better team.

Ferguson is 22, and he is an ever present and important player for Aberdeen; are we really meant to believe he has been under no consideration whatsoever by Rangers?

Wait, sorry, you are of the view the Aberdeen squad is filled with "top players"?

Sound, I will remember not to take a word you have to say about football seriously.
Man. "Top" like that for a reason.. :)

He's in the 4th biggest financially backed club, with a player who just got sold to the prem runners up, with a player who won 9 league titles, an ex rangers player Gerrard backed as being a future captain...

Yet, they were almost in the relegation play off.

He's a decent spfl player.

He's would be a squad player for us at best if we really want to win back the league!

Ferguson is 22, and he is an ever present and important player for Aberdeen; are we really meant to believe he has been under no consideration whatsoever by Rangers?
We're obviously aware of him but I doubt he's ever been a serious target. Signing an extension at Aberdeen has likely killed any prospect of joining us anyway.

Man. "Top" like that for a reason.. :)

He's in the 4th biggest financially backed club, with a player who just got sold to the prem runners up, with a player who won 9 league titles, an ex rangers player Gerrard backed as being a future captain...

Yet, they were almost in the relegation play off.

He's a decent spfl player.

He's would be a squad player for us at best if we really want to win back the league!

Post 151 still applies TBH

I've got the following reservations about LF
Where does he fit in with our current squad ?
We got Davis & Arfield on extended contracts recently- so IMO that's enough cover / back-up for the moment at least
If we loose Aribo & / or Kamara- then I don't see LF as anything like a direct replacement for either
There's no way LF is going to replace / compete or be preferred to Lundstram IMO
Is he really just a back-up to Jack ?
If so - I'd prefer a fit Jack - because he's got much more in his repertoire than LF currently has - or is likely to have any time soon
Based on the number of fouls & even reckless tackles / challenges LF makes almost every game - I could see him being sent off every other week with a Gers shirt on his back
Unless we're planning a complete clear-out of our midfield personnel- I can't see why we'd be after LF
There's areas of our squad that require improvement & should be a priority long before we need LF's contribution IMO

It's just lazy to suggest that people are opposed to him purely because of where he plays, and equally lazy to compare with Ryan Jack based solely on them both having been at Aberdeen.

Ferguson isn't good enough for our team. His use of the ball, as evidenced by both the radars and the 'eye test', is generally pretty average for the Scottish league, leading to him being in unnecessary duels (i.e his second touch is a tackle). His passing isn't good enough. His goals are inflated by penalties - Tav isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so LF wouldn't be on penalty duty.

Again, I'll ask - what is it he does well? Gets stuck in? We don't need that. I'll defer to Maldini, who knows a bit more about tackling than anyone on here, who said "if I have to make a tackle then I've already made a mistake" - look at how we play, we smother the game through good reading of the match. We don't need someone who can dive into a tackle.

Yet many within our support regularly slate the Ferguson brothers.

It's nothing to do with the surname.

Millwall were linked with Ferguson yet chose to go foreign in Zian Flemming - an aggressive, attack minded central midfielder for a club record fee of £2m. Bargain as the lad is a cracking player. That's more the route I'd go down but I feel if GvB wanted Ferguson, he'd be a good signing. He's got attributes we could certainly develop further. Got to remember that a number of midfielders could leave in the coming year; Arfield, Davis, Jack out of contract next summer (lets see how injury free he stays), could potentially cash in on Kamara. We are going to need more than one CM. Unless Sands has a remarkable season, I doubt we are paying the rumoured fee?
They get slated for what they write in the papers, that’s got %^*& all to do with their abilities as players and the fact many seem to believe that Lewis Ferguson being the offspring and nephew of two talented ex Rangers players respectively means he’ll also turn out to be a great player for us. That’s the weight of his name and not what he’s done as a player, which in truth isn’t much at all. Unless many of the rest of us and 2 or 3 managers are missing something here.

He’s not a particularly good passer and lacks the qualities that also saw Greg Doherty punted, he has a good engine like Doherty but I don’t see that being enough without the game intelligence. He seems to be a decent penalty taker too but then I don’t see how that’ll benefit us in any significant way. Given players like him are a dime a dozen and not at rival clubs that’ll try and rip us right off, I can’t imagine why people are utterly fixated on this particular player….

It's just lazy to suggest that people are opposed to him purely because of where he plays, and equally lazy to compare with Ryan Jack based solely on them both having been at Aberdeen.

Ferguson isn't good enough for our team. His use of the ball, as evidenced by both the radars and the 'eye test', is generally pretty average for the Scottish league, leading to him being in unnecessary duels (i.e his second touch is a tackle). His passing isn't good enough. His goals are inflated by penalties - Tav isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so LF wouldn't be on penalty duty.

Again, I'll ask - what is it he does well? Gets stuck in? We don't need that. I'll defer to Maldini, who knows a bit more about tackling than anyone on here, who said "if I have to make a tackle then I've already made a mistake" - look at how we play, we smother the game through good reading of the match. We don't need someone who can dive into a tackle.

I wouldn't say his general play is overly removed from Arfields TBF and we use him often enough

Correct.. Someone talking sense

no, imagine saying someone is crap becuase his team almost got relegated. thats the kind of comment id expect from my 5 year old nephew
Haha

Generally good players play in teams that do well, especially teams that have a decent amount of backing. It's not just that as well , he's just average when I've watched him. Never really done much in any game against us.

Maybe you should listen to the nephew a bit more :)

I wouldn't say his general play is overly removed from Arfields TBF and we use him often enough
Arfield's movement and game intelligence are on another level to Ferguson, his passing and striking of a ball are far superior too.

Could Ferguson be coached and improve? Absolutely. Does he represent good value for money by comparison to other available players? Not at 2m+, and don't forget they will add the Rangers premium.

By comparison, Hagi cost us 3m and is on another planet in terms of ability and technique, despite not being the finished article.

Arfield's movement and game intelligence are on another level to Ferguson, his passing and striking of a ball are far superior too.

Could Ferguson be coached and improve? Absolutely. Does he represent good value for money by comparison to other available players? Not at 2m+, and don't forget they will add the Rangers premium.

By comparison, Hagi cost us 3m and is on another planet in terms of ability and technique, despite not being the finished article.

unsure about Arfield and his passing and striking a ball TBF, can be very hit and miss with those techniques, his finishing is shocking at times for someone who gets in the positions he does - Hagi at times can look like he has stuck on ice skates.

A player who can absolutely be coached, improved and is Scottish is decent value at a fee of 2 million TBH, we get 6 or 7 years out of that or flip that for a profit, that is buttons really.

Sign him start of next season when he only has one year of his contract left £750k will get you him then
A good hard player who you’d want in the trenches with you when you go to the sty , Tynecastle and Easter road

I agree with you, I'm just of the view that we could make him a lot better. The fact he's 22 and already very experienced in the League says to me there's a lot than can be done with him.

Getting "stuck in" at us is an instant booking. People really need to realise playing for us and Aberdeen are totally different.

Back